Upgrading from 105-8s to veloce-9s or 10s

Status

Francisco Sanch

Guest
Hi,

I have to replace cassette, chain, chainrings and shifters. They all are
105 / 8 speed. I'd prefer to change to Campagnolo and don't want to pay too much as this bike should
(hopefully) also be replaced in 1 or 2 years. I suppose that I'll have to change the rear
derailler and maybe just the freehub. My hubs are very old DuraAce (1990 if I remember
correctly).

By looking at the catalogs the Veloce-2003 seems to fit very well in my pocket :) Is there any
significant difference between Veloce and Centaur in terms of quality? I still don't know the prices
of the Veloce-2004 but I know there will be a 10 speed version. Do you know if there are significant
changes other than that? Are the new prices much higher for the 10 speed version?

Regards, Francisco Sanchez [email protected] http://www.billeniumsoft.com

Francisco Sanchez wrote:
> By looking at the catalogs the Veloce-2003 seems to fit very well in my pocket :) Is there any
> significant difference between Veloce and Centaur in terms of quality?

No (except for hubs). They are essentially the same but with Centaur offering some weight savings,
better chainrings, ergonomonic holes in the Ergo gear levers. Derailleurs, brake calipers and
crank arms are extremely similar and use many of the exact same parts (although derailleurs are a
bit lighter).

Hubs are completely different: Centaur has lightweight oversize alloy axle with threadless cones vs
cartridge bearings in the rear. Veloce/Mirage 2004 FRONT hubs also have cartridge bearings (-2003
has cheap ordinary cup & cone design which are poorly sealed).

By the way, Xenon derailleurs work well, have the same adjustment features and are cheaper and
lighter than Veloce. The plastic is *nice* plastic!
:)

> Are the new prices much higher for the 10 speed version?

Not much in the UK. See: www.parker-international.co.uk/campag-framset.htm

Extra regular replacement cost of chain & cassette should be a big factor in the decision.

~PB

Francisco Sanchez <[email protected]> wrote:

> Veloce-2004 but I know there will be a 10 speed version. Do you know if there are significant
> changes other than that? Are the new prices much higher for the 10 speed version?

The 10-speed version is more expensive, but the price difference is not outrageous. At one shop the
10-speed group is 419 EUR while the 9-speed group is 329 EUR. Hubs are not included, but they're the
same for both versions and cost 69 EUR a pair.

Source: http://www.salden.nl/

-as

Francisco-take a look at this site. this people have a lot of info regarding campy parts. i think
you may be able to upgrade the shifters.

http://www.branfordbike.com/campy/campy.html#Upgrade

news:[email protected]...

On 7 Oct 2003 12:17:53 GMT, Antti Salonen <[email protected]> wrote:

>The 10-speed version is more expensive, but the price difference is not outrageous. At one shop the
>10-speed group is 419 EUR while the 9-speed group is 329 EUR. Hubs are not included, but they're
>the same for both versions and cost 69 EUR a pair.
>
>Source: http://www.salden.nl/

A shift disk is only $35 so buying a 9sp and putting in a disk is more less costly.

"Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Francisco Sanchez wrote:
> > By looking at the catalogs the Veloce-2003 seems to fit very well in my pocket :) Is there any
> > significant difference between Veloce and Centaur in terms of quality?
>
> No (except for hubs). They are essentially the same but with Centaur offering some weight savings,
> better chainrings, ergonomonic holes in the Ergo gear levers. Derailleurs, brake calipers and
> crank arms are extremely similar and use many of the exact same parts (although derailleurs are a
> bit lighter).
>
> Hubs are completely different: Centaur has lightweight oversize alloy axle with threadless cones
> vs cartridge bearings in the rear. Veloce/Mirage 2004 FRONT hubs also have cartridge bearings
> (-2003 has cheap ordinary cup & cone design which are poorly sealed).

Agree, Centaur hubs are probably the *best value* in Campy's lineup and would highly recommend that
if you can, spend the $$$ for these hubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.