upgrading from 5 speed to 7/8/9 speed

davek

Jan 22, 2004
The 5-speed screw-on cluster on my old bike needs replacing, but I'm thinking of upgrading instead of just doing a straight swap - I guess this means changing to a cassette freehub at the very least, and probably changing the whole wheel.

But beyond that, what are my options? Is it possible to get 7/8/9 speed cassette freehubs to fit my 130mm dropouts?

The bottom bracket, chainset and chain also need replacing so if there are any issues of compatibility they can be accounted for. I was thinking of going for the Sora triple chainset.

The bike is fitted with a cheap bog-standard replacement Shimano 7-speed rear mech, mid cage size, and the original Suntour front mech and, money being tight, I'd rather not have to go to the expense of replacing either of them.

I'm quite happy with my downtube friction shifters - and I presume that keeping them will not only be cheaper but will also give me a wider range of options. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Bag it and pick up a good used newer bike. The cost and hassle ain't worth it, mate. In the end you'll still be left with an old bike and a lighter wallet.

Originally posted by capwater
Bag it and pick up a good used newer bike. The cost and hassle ain't worth it, mate. In the end you'll still be left with an old bike and a lighter wallet.
That's alot of hooey.

Originally posted by davek
The 5-speed screw-on cluster on my old bike needs replacing, but I'm thinking of upgrading instead of just doing a straight swap - I guess this means changing to a cassette freehub at the very least, and probably changing the whole wheel.

But beyond that, what are my options? Is it possible to get 7/8/9 speed cassette freehubs to fit my 130mm dropouts?

The bottom bracket, chainset and chain also need replacing so if there are any issues of compatibility they can be accounted for. I was thinking of going for the Sora triple chainset.

The bike is fitted with a cheap bog-standard replacement Shimano 7-speed rear mech, mid cage size, and the original Suntour front mech and, money being tight, I'd rather not have to go to the expense of replacing either of them.

I'm quite happy with my downtube friction shifters - and I presume that keeping them will not only be cheaper but will also give me a wider range of options. Any advice would be much appreciated.
It would be unusual if your old 5 speed had 130 dropout spacing, as 130 is what is used with current 8,9, and 10 speed. Old 5 speed was often 120 and some were 126. There are 6 and 7 speed freewheels around(nashbar) that would work assuming you have a standard freelwheel threading. Nashbar carries new wheels that take freewheels. Most cassette wheels you will find will be for 8 thru 10 speed. You can use a 7 speed cassette on a shimano 8/9 hub along with a 4.5mm spacer if you don't need all the extra speeds. There is much better stuff around than Sora for not much more $$,and even deals on used, but you have to be aware of matching correct spindle type and length to the crankset. Sticking with downtube friction makes life alot easier and cheaper too.

Originally posted by boudreaux
It would be unusual if your old 5 speed had 130 dropout spacing, as 130 is what is used with current 8,9, and 10 speed.

That's interesting. I read somewhere that dropouts on modern bikes were wider, which is why I wasn't sure about compatibility, but when I actually came to measure mine I couldn't recall if the current standard was 130 or 135mm. Is 135mm for MTBs?

But it's definitely 130mm - measuring the space between the inside surfaces of the dropouts.

Nashbar carries new wheels that take freewheels. Most cassette wheels you will find will be for 8 thru 10 speed. You can use a 7 speed cassette on a shimano 8/9 hub along with a 4.5mm spacer if you don't need all the extra speeds.

I'm not sure if Nashbar stuff is easily available here in the UK, which is a shame. But assuming I've measured my dropouts correctly, can I assume there would be no problem fitting a standard Shimano 8/9 speed cassette hub?

There is much better stuff around than Sora for not much more $$,and even deals on used, but you have to be aware of matching correct spindle type and length to the crankset.

Aye, that's why I'm keen to do all the upgrading in one go, so I make sure I get components that go together.

Sticking with downtube friction makes life alot easier and cheaper too.

Yeah - I had been looking at possibly upgrading the whole groupset to STI but apart from the phenomenal cost (it really would be more sensible just to buy a new bike) my head started spinning from all the compatibility issues...

Besides, I like friction shifting.

Thanks for the advice.

Originally posted by davek
That's interesting. I read somewhere that dropouts on modern bikes were wider, which is why I wasn't sure about compatibility, but when I actually came to measure mine I couldn't recall if the current standard was 130 or 135mm. Is 135mm for MTBs?

But it's definitely 130mm - measuring the space between the inside surfaces of the dropouts.

I'm not sure if Nashbar stuff is easily available here in the UK, which is a shame. But assuming I've measured my dropouts correctly, can I assume there would be no problem fitting a standard Shimano 8/9 speed cassette hub?

Aye, that's why I'm keen to do all the upgrading in one go, so I make sure I get components that go together.

Yeah - I had been looking at possibly upgrading the whole groupset to STI but apart from the phenomenal cost (it really would be more sensible just to buy a new bike) my head started spinning from all the compatibility issues...

Besides, I like friction shifting.

Thanks for the advice.
current mtb hubs are 135. if your dropouts are about 130 there is no problem with current 130 hubs. If they aren't 130 and the frame is steel, you can just spread them and stick the wider hub in. Friction, means you don't even have to worry about derailer hanger alignment.