Upgrading from old 105 to new 105 or Ultegra?

Solanog

Feb 12, 2004
I've switched my frame a couple of times (Al frame + carbon fork) but have kept the 105 from frame to frame. It is an 8 speed group. It is still working well but I'm thinking about upgrading to 10 speed set up, so my question is: should I get the new 10 sp 105 or should I spend more and get the Ultegra.
Are there any advantages beside weight, better shifting, quieter shifting?

The new 105 10Sp seems to be almost as good as the Ultegra. Either of them will out perform your 8Sp group. The only advantage that you have not listed is the bling factor from the Ultegra over the 105. But if you're worried about bling, get a DA set up.

Solanog said:
I've switched my frame a couple of times (Al frame + carbon fork) but have kept the 105 from frame to frame. It is an 8 speed group. It is still working well but I'm thinking about upgrading to 10 speed set up, so my question is: should I get the new 10 sp 105 or should I spend more and get the Ultegra.
Are there any advantages beside weight, better shifting, quieter shifting?

Unlike 8s and 9s, 105 10s is based on DA 10s with differences in materials is mostly all. Same performance and durability at a wee bit more weight.

Well, since I ride on the weekends and don't compete I think a couple of grams won't make a difference. The bling factor isn't that important either but I admit they look cool!

What about 9spd Tiagra? Do they work well or I'm better with the old 8spd 105? I'm running on 11-23, originally they were 12-23 but I bought an 11 sprocket and switch the 12 but there's a big jump from 11 to 13 which is the next available gear I think.

Solanog said:
Well, since I ride on the weekends and don't compete I think a couple of grams won't make a difference. The bling factor isn't that important either but I admit they look cool!

What about 9spd Tiagra? Do they work well or I'm better with the old 8spd 105? I'm running on 11-23, originally they were 12-23 but I bought an 11 sprocket and switch the 12 but there's a big jump from 11 to 13 which is the next available gear I think.

Unless you like the shape of the newer levers or if you need some gearing not available with 8s, if neither, if it works, keep it till it doesn't.

Peter@vecchios said:
Unless you like the shape of the newer levers or if you need some gearing not available with 8s, if neither, if it works, keep it till it doesn't.

After a while of not riding this bike (1.5 years, did some mountain bike but I like road bike a lot more) they where like stuck, I shifted up and they work fine but when going back to the smaller gears they did nothing, I spray some WD40 and they began working again after a while, maybe the old grease had dried or something. Then I lubricated them with some spray lube, since I was not able to take them apart for proper maintenance, they are in good shape now, they shift well. They are a little slugish going up or down between 4-5 gear (not the shifters since they click nicely) but the rest are near perfect. I don't know if this shifting issue has to do with me using an SRAM chain. Would an LX (9 speed) chain work with the 8 speed 105?

Solanog said:
After a while of not riding this bike (1.5 years, did some mountain bike but I like road bike a lot more) they where like stuck, I shifted up and they work fine but when going back to the smaller gears they did nothing, I spray some WD40 and they began working again after a while, maybe the old grease had dried or something. Then I lubricated them with some spray lube, since I was not able to take them apart for proper maintenance, they are in good shape now, they shift well. They are a little slugish going up or down between 4-5 gear (not the shifters since they click nicely) but the rest are near perfect. I don't know if this shifting issue has to do with me using an SRAM chain. Would an LX (9 speed) chain work with the 8 speed 105?
BTW, I'm considering only the shifters, chain and cassette, the rear deraileur should be fine, seems like the overall width of the cassette is the same or close enough so that the rear deraileur can be adjusted to work well. Also I was told that the hub will be O.K for the 10 speed cassette.

Solanog said:
Might be a good idea to renew your cables, both the inner & outer.

Solanog said:
BTW, I'm considering only the shifters, chain and cassette, the rear deraileur should be fine, seems like the overall width of the cassette is the same or close enough so that the rear deraileur can be adjusted to work well. Also I was told that the hub will be O.K for the 10 speed cassette.

Match the chain to the cassette-8s to 8s, the SRAM works fine. What you are seeing is common on STI and using the 'STI repair kit', flush with WD-40 or a spray lube, is what we do also. If the RD is not toasted, it along with the FD will be fine with 10s STI. Rear hub as well. All you 'need' is levers, cogset and chain for 10s conversion.

Peter@vecchios said:
Match the chain to the cassette-8s to 8s, the SRAM works fine. What you are seeing is common on STI and using the 'STI repair kit', flush with WD-40 or a spray lube, is what we do also. If the RD is not toasted, it along with the FD will be fine with 10s STI. Rear hub as well. All you 'need' is levers, cogset and chain for 10s conversion.

I also did a flush to both the cable and the sleeve, they are shinny except for the exposed part that goes down the downtube.
What I have not done and should is clean and lubricate both the hubs and the headset, the rest has been taken care of, I even cleaned the frame a little!

I am making the same choice now. I don't trust hearsay because for all I know a brand new ultegra may shift less smoothly than a just broken in 105. The cables or derailleurs on any given bike may need a cleaning too. There could be several factors affecting subjective feel.

garage sale GT said:
I am making the same choice now. I don't trust hearsay because for all I know a brand new ultegra may shift less smoothly than a just broken in 105. The cables or derailleurs on any given bike may need a cleaning too. There could be several factors affecting subjective feel.
My 105s are working fine, I want the 10 speed but I think that my performance will be the same two cogs won't help too much, at least at my level. But they sure look good and give you a better range. I would like a 11-23 or 25 if available, currently I have 11-23 sometimes depending on where I'm going I switch to 12-23, 11-53 is fast but you have to pedal hard!

i'd say just get the 9 speed 105. the new 10 speed ultegra or 105 might be a couple grams lighter but the addition of one more gear just seems to bring back the weight to the whole bike setup (why adding one more gear everytime to a group's upgrade? this i can never understand :rolleyes: ).

if you're not using that extra gear, just go with 9 speed 105 as an upgrade.