Upgrading from Tiagra to Ultegra

tracto

Mar 9, 2006
Basically i want to now if it is worth it. I have a three year old cannondale R500 with tiagra groupset. I have a 200km race over in the alps this summer which obviously involves plenty of climbing, would it be worth my while up grading the group set, I have a time trial bike as well that has ultegra and rides much smooter and it feels alot easier to push the bigger gears. Am I wasting my time putting Ultegra on a frame that barely costs much more than the set itself?

Cheers!

Based on my second (or third) hand knowledge, there are some advantages of Ultegra over Tiagra, but none of them would lead to being able to push a bigger gear.

The advantages according to those that use high end groups like Ultegra are (not necessarily in order of importance):

1) Crisper shifting
2) Slightly lower weight
3) Looks better

If you are finding that you're able to push a bigger gear on your TT bike, it is likely to be because of your riding position, or possibly tires. Even wheels (the #1 thing to upgrade) are typically seen as beneficial for acceleration and climbing, not pushing bigger gears once you're moving.

Tires on the TT bike could have lower rolling resistance, and this could help you push a higher gear, but the number one force you need to overcome when riding on a flat road is wind resistance. Your TT bike would probably be less comfortable for a long ride than your road bike for the same reason that it is faster... You are in a more addressive riding position.

For climbing (in case that is what you are referring to) there is an advantage to losing every ounce of weight that you can... since you are in effect lifting extra weight for every inch you climb... Whether Ultegra gives enough weight loss to be noticed would have to be up to you... But if climbing is your issue, I would say that the bulk of the difference would be bike weight, and you could possibly do better for the dollar by replacing wheels than upgrading to Ultegra.

tracto said:
Basically i want to now if it is worth it. I have a three year old cannondale R500 with tiagra groupset. I have a 200km race over in the alps this summer which obviously involves plenty of climbing, would it be worth my while up grading the group set, I have a time trial bike as well that has ultegra and rides much smooter and it feels alot easier to push the bigger gears. Am I wasting my time putting Ultegra on a frame that barely costs much more than the set itself?

Cheers!

I think you would be. New cables and 5mm housing. Clean, lubed, including the hubs, etc. Nothing in the design of ultegra that makes it really any better at moving the chain around the cogs or chainrings.

Peter@vecchios said:
I think you would be. New cables and 5mm housing. Clean, lubed, including the hubs, etc. Nothing in the design of ultegra that makes it really any better at moving the chain around the cogs or chainrings.
+1. You might replace the RD with a 105 for crisper shifting and then use the money you save to upgrade your wheels:p.

Peter@vecchios said:
I would agree that a lot of the Tiagra stuff is perfectly good. I don't believe you would notice any difference (except weight) between it and Ultegra in BB, cranks/rings, brakes or FD (even RD probably). But I think the shifters and cassette work quite a bit nicer (plus the extra gear of course), and the chain doesn't discolour as much. The Tiagra cassette wheels look like they've been punched out of cheap shiny steel, while the Ultegra stuff looks like it's been machined.

So I would not recommend buying the entire groupset - just get those bits from PBK and save the money for wheels.

Sensibly I agree with all the above posters but on the other hand, ITS ULTEGRA ALL THE WAY BABY!

My reasoning is that unless you have guilt about spending money for whatever reason you really can't go wrong with spending money on good quality bicycle parts that is unless you don't use them. :cool:

Ultegra will look better and function a bit better (nothing significant if you maintain your Tiagra correctly).

If you are concerned regarding your summer of climbing, remember the easiest and cheapest place to save weight is on yourself! I doubt there is anyone on this forum who could not... ehm... save a few kgs without touching their bicycle.

Having said that, crisper shifting, a nicer looking bike and an extra cog in the back are never bad. I would upgrade a few pieces and parts and use the saved funds in a nicer wheelset, as others here have recommended.

Powerful Pete said:
I doubt there is anyone on this forum who could not... ehm... save a few kgs without touching their bicycle.
Hey, I'd need the bike to help lose the kgs!

TheDarkLord said:
:D An infinite circular argument for you (regarding losing kgs vs saving weight on the bike)?
Indeed. But then of course, a lighter bike does make it easier to ride longer distances and climb more, which then helps lose weight on the rider. Solution: Campagnolo Record group and Lightweight wheels. That way you are assured of losing weight...

Powerful Pete said:
Indeed. But then of course, a lighter bike does make it easier to ride longer distances and climb more, which then helps lose weight on the rider. Solution: Campagnolo Record group and Lightweight wheels. That way you are assured of losing weight...
If I put a Campy Record group on my bike, I would most assuredly lose weight. I would have to be on the bike four or five hours a day to justify that kind of high priced purchase. It would definitely double the value of my daily ride.

kdelong said:
If I put a Campy Record group on my bike, I would most assuredly lose weight. I would have to be on the bike four or five hours a day to justify that kind of high priced purchase. It would definitely double the value of my daily ride.
There ya go. Problem solved. :D