Upgrading Gary Fisher '99 Tassajara

Xao

Guest
I have some questions, I got into Mountain biking a couple years ago when I lived in Colorado, did
the whole Slick Rock thing, etc...

Then I moved to Seattle (different Mt. Biking experience all together), and now I'm in the mid-west,
yeck (I can say that, I grew up here).

Anyways, after my move to Seattle, I have been working pretty much non-stop and now I have refound
my passion and I am determined to get back into single-track and have found a few people at work
that like to ride.

However, none of us are extremely well versed in all the components, etc...

I was just wondering if anyone would have some suggestions on some good sites to read, I have been
reading mtbreview.com and dirtworld.com, but their message boards don't seem to flow extremely well.

Also, I have abused my bike mainly from the duration in CO quite a bit, but haven't done much, ok
any, maintenance on the thing in the past four years.

I was thinking about upgrading the crank, cassette, derailers, and maybe the front fork (Rock Shox
Jett C) this winter, so I will be fresh to ride this spring.

I'm looking for middle of the road components, it is after-all a $600 bike, but it has been great to
me so far and want to return a little lovin' to it. :)

What components would this group suggest? I have been reading quite a bit on the SRAM's and the
Shimano's, which of these in your opinion are the better buy?

I'll probably hand down some of my components to my wife's bike, which is like a '97 Specialized
Rock Jumper (?, it's completly old school, no front suspension, etc...)

TIA for any suggestions, recommended readings, etc...

Xao

A fresh cassette and chain, together with new cables and brake pads is an easy way to restore a
crisp feel to an old slapper bike (no offence) without going mad and replacing the whole bike.

Get the hubs and headset cleaned and regreased too.

A new fork would be nice as a Jett C is a very poo fork indeed.

Andy Chequer

Thanks, Would you recommend the Shimano XT series equipment for nice mid-range components?

Andy Chequer wrote:
> A fresh cassette and chain, together with new cables and brake pads is an easy way to restore a
> crisp feel to an old slapper bike (no offence) without going mad and replacing the whole bike.
>
> Get the hubs and headset cleaned and regreased too.
>
> A new fork would be nice as a Jett C is a very poo fork indeed.
>
> Andy Chequer

XT components are very nice - and can also be very expensive. LX is almost as good, just heavier,
and deore kind of follows that line (although some things like shifters suffer more between jumps).

At that level though, you're better off getting a new bike. Forks are expensive, and overhauls
aren't cheap either. This is coming from somebody who took a gary fisher kaitai a few years back and
replaced every single part on it except the frame and seatpost QR. I would have been better off just
buying a new bike - only reason I didn't was 'cause the 'rents didn't let me!

Jon Bond

Jon Bond wrote:
> XT components are very nice - and can also be very expensive. LX is almost as good, just
> heavier, and deore kind of follows that line (although some things like shifters suffer more
> between jumps).
>
> At that level though, you're better off getting a new bike. Forks are expensive, and overhauls
> aren't cheap either. This is coming from somebody who took a gary fisher kaitai a few years back
> and replaced every single part on it except the frame and seatpost QR. I would have been better
> off just buying a new bike - only reason I didn't was 'cause the 'rents didn't let me!
>
> Jon Bond

Sounds like you're all setup to get a new frame to move your new components to ;) As far as
component choices go I agree with you. However I'd recommend going one group higher on the Rear
Derailleur. If everything else is for instance LX then get XT for the RD.

--
Perre

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jon Bond wrote:
> > XT components are very nice - and can also be very expensive. LX is almost as good, just
> > heavier, and deore kind of follows that line (although some things like shifters suffer more
> > between jumps).
> >
> > At that level though, you're better off getting a new bike. Forks are expensive, and overhauls
> > aren't cheap either. This is coming from somebody who took a gary fisher kaitai a few years back
> > and replaced every single part on it except the frame and seatpost QR. I would have been better
> > off just buying a new bike - only reason I didn't was 'cause the 'rents didn't let me!
> >
> > Jon Bond
>

> Sounds like you're all setup to get a new frame to move your new
components
> to ;) As far as component choices go I agree with you. However I'd recommend
going
> one group higher on the Rear Derailleur. If everything else is for
instance
> LX then get XT for the RD.
>
> --
> Perre
>
> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

I somewhat wore out the second set of components and then proceeded to (maybe) crack the frame.
Either way, I got a new bike this summer that I built from the frame up myself... mmmm, so perfect.

Jon Bond

No offense taken, I do wonder why you call it an old 'slapper' bike. You may be right, I'm just
claiming ignorance.

But I thought the Genesis frame was supposed to be a good frame and worth building off of.

Grant you the nine speed XT upgrade kit (with brakes) is 2/3'rds of what I paid for the bike but if
the frame is good to build off of, I don't mind.

Am I flawed and should I just save up for another bike? I don't mind upgrading slowly, and a FS bike
isn't something that I am "dying" to have, just something I would "like" to have. ;)

Thanks!

Andy Chequer wrote:
> A fresh cassette and chain, together with new cables and brake pads is an easy way to restore a
> crisp feel to an old slapper bike (no offence) without going mad and replacing the whole bike.
>
> Get the hubs and headset cleaned and regreased too.
>
> A new fork would be nice as a Jett C is a very poo fork indeed.
>
> Andy Chequer

"Xao" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
| No offense taken, I do wonder why you call it an old 'slapper' bike. You may be right, I'm just
| claiming ignorance.
|
| But I thought the Genesis frame was supposed to be a good frame and worth building off of.
|
| Grant you the nine speed XT upgrade kit (with brakes) is 2/3'rds of what I paid for the bike but
| if the frame is good to build off of, I don't
mind.

| Am I flawed and should I just save up for another bike? I don't mind upgrading slowly, and a FS
| bike isn't something that I am "dying" to have, just something I would "like" to have. ;)

The Tass'es are fine bikes, modestly priced. The only fly in the ointment is that now Fisher can use
the excuse to void your warranty. Not a real biggie since you're approaching its end anyhow (unless
you bought it more recently that late 98/early 99)

I've got a 96 Big Sur I tinker with often and have upgraded to XT (built new wheels for it a couple
days ago!)

---
__o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. The Nelson Paradigm
=^o.o^= http://intergalax.com

"Aha! Advancing on me only brings you closer to the cold wrath that is my spork!" - Bucky the Katt
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.522 / Virus Database: 320 -
Release Date: 9/29/2003

"The Nelson Paradigm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Xao" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> | No offense taken, I do wonder why you call it an old 'slapper' bike. You may be right, I'm just
> | claiming ignorance.
> |
> | But I thought the Genesis frame was supposed to be a good frame and worth building off of.
> |
> | Grant you the nine speed XT upgrade kit (with brakes) is 2/3'rds of what I paid for the bike but
> | if the frame is good to build off of, I don't
> mind.
> |
> | Am I flawed and should I just save up for another bike? I don't mind upgrading slowly, and a FS
> | bike isn't something that I am "dying" to have, just something I would "like" to have. ;)

Test ride as many full-suspension bikes as you can. If you fall in love with one of them, then save
up the $$$ and buy it. Upgrading slowly isn't a bad way to do things; but often you will come out
ahead if you just take the plunge and buy a new bike. It depends on what you're looking for in a
bike. Sometimes older bikes are actually better (in many ways). Check out Nelson's fleet of bikes at
the link below to get an idea of what I mean.

> The Tass'es are fine bikes, modestly priced. The only fly in the ointment is that now Fisher can
> use the excuse to void your warranty. Not a real biggie since you're approaching its end anyhow
> (unless you bought it more recently that late 98/early 99)

Why would Fisher void his warranty? (I must have missed something...)

> I've got a 96 Big Sur I tinker with often and have upgraded to XT (built
new
> wheels for it a couple days ago!)

> http://intergalax.com

I've said it before; but that is a fine collection of versatile, functional, classic bikes you have
there, Nelson. Your customizations are very well chosen, IMO. I like the Cadex 890 MTB/road bike.
Very interesting. I built up a bike kinda like that once, based on a 91 Bianchi Sika CrMo rigid MTB.
I didn't like the way it handled with 26 x 1" slicks: It steered like a cow because the trail was
messed up by the small tire diameter. Also, I kept getting flats all the time (the tires were
properly inflated). How does your 890i handle?

-=B=-