Upgrading Giant OCR 3

Dr.Hairybiker

Aug 23, 2004
I read somewhere that you can't upgrade the OCR 3 Sora group for some reason. Has anyone done it? I'd like to go with at least 105 stuff. I've been looking at Ebay, but if I'm stuck with the Sora group then I'll just start looking for a deal on a whole different bike. Thanks.

Dr.Hairybiker said:
I read somewhere that you can't upgrade the OCR 3 Sora group for some reason. Has anyone done it? I'd like to go with at least 105 stuff. I've been looking at Ebay, but if I'm stuck with the Sora group then I'll just start looking for a deal on a whole different bike. Thanks.
Sure you can.Just depends on how you go about it. You can just stick 105 cranks/BB,front and rear deraliers on a sora bike. 8 speed 105 or 600/ultegra shifters will work if you can can them. 105 9 speed shifters require a 9 speed casette and chain.
Sometimes it's pointless to throw alot of money at a sora bike.If you start thinking about a fork too, a new bike is a better route.

I had an OCR3 untill a couple of months ago and went through the same dilemma as yourself.

I figured that for the amount that it would cost me for a new 105 groupset, I would have a big whole in the pocket but still have an entry level frame, fork and wheelset.

If you want to upgrade from Sora to 105 or better, you will have to replace most of the groupset as you change from 8 speed to 9 speed (shifters, derailuers, cassette, chain, BB)

I bought a Trek 1400 and got a much lighter frame, carbon forks, carbon seatpost, better wheelset and a 105 groupset.

If you sell the OCR3 over Ebay, you will probably find that the proceeds from that plus the money you would have spent on the new groupset will go close to covering the cost of a new, better bike.

Cheers and good luck. Ollie

I have a 2003 OCR3 (silver). I plan on hanging on to it for quite a while because the frame design and my body specs match up so well. Plus, I know that Giant goes to great lengths to design quality aluminum(and carbon) frames.

I aggree with what has been said so far above. You have (2) choices in which only you can pick what is best for you. You can sell the OCR and use the money towards your next upgrade, or, you can slowly upgrade components in order to design the bike to your liking.

By personal preference, I choose to keep my OCR3 frame and use EBay to my advantage. Here are the upgrades I have made:

1. XERO XR-1 Formula aero rims
2. Time Millenium 1-1/8 threadless carbon fiber fork
3. Cane Creek 1-1/8 IS headset
4. 110mm 1-1/8 cabon fiber stem
5. Shimano 105 double crankset 53T x 39T
6. Shimano Ultegra bottom bracket
7. Shimano Ultegra 8 speed cassette
8. Shimano Dura-Ace chain
9. 700x23c Continental Gatorskin tires
10. Shimano SPD-R535 clipless pedals
11. Carbon fiber seat post
12. Shimano 105 rear derailer

With these upgrades, the use of EBay, and a free headset from Cane Creek...I have only spent an additional $580.

My OCR3 currently weighs 18.65 lbs.

And throughout this winter...Im just going to keep up the search and continue to replace other components.

Good luck.

Well, see, that's the thing. Trying to figure out what components I want to upgrade with. It's pretty confusing if you are a relative newcomer to cycling. I've ridden a lot of miles, but I haven't really gotten into bike building much yet. I was trying to figure out what to try and bid on, when I read somewhere that you are stuck with Sora if that's what you have. Thanks to y'alls comments I realize that I can upgrade, which is good news. Basically I'm a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy, but the Sora stuff really doesn't shift well. I've ridden ultegra bikes that were much smoother and more precise. Plus I don't have many big hills around here, and I don't think I need a triple, I never use the small ring. But I'm not sure if I should spring for ultegra if 105 stuff would be good enough. The stock wheels aren't much good, the spokes won't stay tight and they come out of true every few rides it seems. The stock tires only lasted 1500 miles or so. What's the benefit of a carbon fork? Better ride? Is it a big difference? Right now I'm mostly just looking to upgrade the group to something that will last, shifts smoothly, and is a double. Other than that I'd like some quality wheels and tires that will stay true. I'm thinking ultegra or 105 hubs with 32 spoke open pros. I weigh right around 200 at 6.1 1/2". Any info/thoughts appreciated.

Dr.Hairybiker said:
Well, see, that's the thing. Trying to figure out what components I want to upgrade with. It's pretty confusing if you are a relative newcomer to cycling. I've ridden a lot of miles, but I haven't really gotten into bike building much yet. I was trying to figure out what to try and bid on, when I read somewhere that you are stuck with Sora if that's what you have. Thanks to y'alls comments I realize that I can upgrade, which is good news. Basically I'm a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy, but the Sora stuff really doesn't shift well. I've ridden ultegra bikes that were much smoother and more precise. Plus I don't have many big hills around here, and I don't think I need a triple, I never use the small ring. But I'm not sure if I should spring for ultegra if 105 stuff would be good enough. The stock wheels aren't much good, the spokes won't stay tight and they come out of true every few rides it seems. The stock tires only lasted 1500 miles or so. What's the benefit of a carbon fork? Better ride? Is it a big difference? Right now I'm mostly just looking to upgrade the group to something that will last, shifts smoothly, and is a double. Other than that I'd like some quality wheels and tires that will stay true. I'm thinking ultegra or 105 hubs with 32 spoke open pros. I weigh right around 200 at 6.1 1/2". Any info/thoughts appreciated.
Poorly adjusted ultegra won't necessarily shift better than Sora. Poorly built wheels are poorly built wheels.That' one of the problems with not staying true or breaking spokes.If you don't know what you are doing,you are just better off ditching the bottom end giant and buying sonething better.

Carbon forks help in at least (2) ways that I have noticed right out of the gate: weight reduction and vibration absorbtion. I was amazed when holding the stock OCR3 fork in one hand, and my new carbon fork in the other, how much of a difference in weight there was. After installation and during my next group ride, I was also surprised in how much the carbon fork absorbed some of the annoying road vibrations.

As far as as components...I think you will be happy with an upgrade to the 105 group. I have a mix match of Ultegra and 105 only because on some items, I ended up getting the same price on an Ultegra item as a 105...so naturally I choose Ultegra in some instances. I choose a 105 crankset because those are *lighter* than the Ultegra cranksets.

I think your on the right path with your thoughts. Just take your time with your choices and enjoy integrating each new upgrade. I would also try to switch over to a *double* drivetrain instead of the stock triple(seems like your thinking the same thing).