UK and Europe · Public discussion

upgrading grip shifters to triggers

Started by David Kenning · · Last activity · 5 posts · 577 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
14 March 2004
Last activity
14 March 2004
Original author
David Kenning
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
577
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My sister has twist-grip shifters on her bike and wants to
    swap them for 'trigger' type shifters. I said I'd take this
    job on for her, but I'm wondering if I'm really up to it -
    I've got the Haynes Bike Book to turn to for assistance but
    it says nothing about twist-grip shifters so I don't have a
    clue how they work.

    Has anyone got any experience of this kind of job? Any tips?
    How difficult is it to set up the indexing when the new
    shifters are installed? And is it better to fit integrated
    brake/shift levers or separates? Any recommendations for
    particular make/model of shifters - Wiggle seem to have a
    good selection of SRAM and Shimano stuff but it all looks
    much of a muchness to me.

    cheers,

    d.

  2. "david kenning" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Has anyone got any experience of this kind of job? Any
    tips? How difficult is it to set up the indexing when the
    new shifters are installed? And is


    it

    Quoted message said:

    better to fit integrated brake/shift levers or separates?
    Any recommendations for particular make/model of shifters
    - Wiggle seem to


    have

    Quoted message said:

    a good selection of SRAM and Shimano stuff but it all
    looks much of a muchness to me.

    Two helpful sites:
    sheldonbrown.comindex.html
    parktool.comFAQrindx.shtml

    Setting the indexing is not difficult, it's more about
    patience.

    I've never used Sram trigger shifters so can't comment on
    them but if you're using Shimano mechs I'd stick with
    their shifters.

    Fit seperate shifters and brake levers, this keeps options
    open for the future and it will be cheaper and easier to
    replace worn or damaed items, although IME these items will
    probably last as long as the bike wear-wise.
    --
    Regards, Pete

  3. david kenning said:

    My sister has twist-grip shifters on her bike and wants to
    swap them for 'trigger' type shifters. I said I'd take this
    job on for her, but I'm wondering if I'm really up to it -
    I've got the Haynes Bike Book to turn to for assistance but
    it says nothing about twist-grip shifters so I don't have a
    clue how they work.

    It's a pretty straightforward job.

    Quoted message said:

    Has anyone got any experience of this kind of job?
    Any tips?

    Removing the gripshifters will be easy. Undo the cable
    securing bolts on both the front and rear mech and pull all
    the cables out so that they're just attached to the
    shifters. Somewhere on the gripshifts there will be a grub
    screw that's holding them onto the bars. Loosen that and
    they should just slide off the bars. Obviously you'll need
    to remove the grips first.

    Getting the cable out of the gripshift can be a bit of a
    pain IIRC. Simplest I think would be to remove the cable
    casing and get hold of the cable near where it disappears
    into the body of the shift. Then push it into the shifter.
    The ball end should pop out somewhere.

    Quoted message said:

    How difficult is it to set up the indexing when the new
    shifters are installed?

    This is a bit of a black art that is learnt by trail and
    error. My method is as follows:

    Rear mech:

    - operate the shifter so it's where it would be on the
    smallest cog.
    - using the travel screws on the mech adjust the mech so
    it's slightly inboard of the smallest cog (in towards
    the wheel).
    - wind the cable adjuster on the mech out a couple of turns
    from fully
    in.
    - put the cable in and secure.
    - adjust the travel screw on the mech so that the mech comes
    back into line with the smallest cog. This adjusting of
    the travel screw effectively takes up the slack on the
    cable for you.
    - Now repeatedly shift between the smallest and next
    smallest cogs adjusting the cable tension on the adjuster
    until it shifts cleanly without you need to over-shift.
    - work up the cassette and tweak it so it shifts between
    each pair of cogs cleanly.
    - it should now shift cleanly over the whole block.

    Front mech:

    - Similar to the rear, but wind the cable adjuster out on
    the shifter because the front mech won't have one. Front
    mechs are generally easier to do as they're more tolerant.

    Quoted message said:

    And is it better to fit integrated brake/shift levers or
    separates?

    My preference is for separates because it means if I break a
    brake lever I don't have to replace the whole lot. I can
    also run combinations of discs brakes and vees etc without
    affecting the shifters.

    Quoted message said:

    Any recommendations for particular make/model of shifters
    - Wiggle seem to have a good selection of SRAM and Shimano
    stuff but it all looks much of a muchness to me.

    My personal preference is always to buy the best you can
    afford. At least then it'll last. I suggest if you have
    Shimano mechs then you'd be better off with Shimano
    shifters. Some of the SRAM shifters will work with Shimano
    mechs and vice versa but it'll be a bugger finding out what.
    You don't say how many speeds you're after. This will have a
    big affect on your selection of shifters as you can't get
    top end kit in 7 speed for example and low end kit in 9.

    For 7 speed I'd suggest the STX shifters:

    wiggle.co.ukwiggle.co.uk

    For 8 speed you're a bit stuck with XT shifters:

    wiggle.co.ukwiggle.co.uk

    or combined Acera or Alivio:

    wiggle.co.ukwiggle.co.uk
    wiggle.co.ukwiggle.co.uk

    For 9 you have more choice, Deore, LX or XT shifters

    wiggle.co.ukwiggle.co.uk
    wiggle.co.ukwiggle.co.uk
    wiggle.co.ukwiggle.co.uk

    For brake levers I'd recommend anything by Avid but they
    might be a bit on the expensive side. Shimano ones are all
    ok and Dia-Compe are also good.

    All of the above was written on the assumption it's either a
    mountain bike or mountain bike style bike.

    HTH
    --
    "We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to
    prevent life escaping from us." bensales.combensales.com

  4. Peter B said:

    I've never used Sram trigger shifters so can't comment on
    them but if


    you're

    Quoted message said:

    using Shimano mechs I'd stick with their shifters.

    I've not actually seen the bike so I don't know, but I
    suspect it's more likely to be some cheapo generic own-
    brand set of components - I'm sure it won't hurt to
    upgrade it a bit.

    Thanks for the links and the tips,

    d.

  5. BenS said:

    It's a pretty straightforward job.

    Cheers for the in-depth instructions! I shall print them out
    and keep them by my side when I do the job.

    Quoted message said:

    For 7 speed I'd suggest the STX shifters:

    wiggle.co.ukwiggle.co.uk

    Sounds perfect. Thanks.

    Quoted message said:

    All of the above was written on the assumption it's either
    a mountain bike or mountain bike style bike.

    Yup - more a bog-standard hybrid, to be honest, but that
    basic shape.

    Thanks for the advice,

    d.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.