Upgrading Kona Lava dome

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jan, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. Jan

    Jan Guest

    Does any one know whether it is possible to upgrade my Kona
    Lava Dome (Race light) with a suspension fork. It is now
    equiped with the Project 2 stiff fork (stock mounted).

    Will it affect the bikes geometry , riding "feel", will the
    frame be strong enough to handle the suspension fork.

    Do I have to look for a "short" suspension fork or can I fit
    any travel to my frame.

    Thanks in advance

    Jan

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  3. Jan

    Jan Guest

    bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 06:29:11 -0800, Jan wrote:
    >
    > > Does any one know whether it is possible to upgrade my
    > > Kona Lava Dome (Race light) with a suspension fork. It
    > > is now equiped with the Project 2 stiff fork (stock
    > > mounted).
    >
    > How old is the bike? http://www.j-
    > harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm#3.17

    I do not really know because I have bought this bike second
    hand. I guess it is from between 1995 to 1997 .It has an
    insert stem of 1" but this does not really mean it has a 1"
    steering tube. It is inserted in another tube slightly
    larger than 1" of course (1"1/8 ???)

    Jan

  4. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 00:00:50 -0800, Jan wrote:

    >> > Does any one know whether it is possible to upgrade my
    >> > Kona Lava Dome (Race light) with a suspension fork. It
    >> > is now equiped with the Project 2 stiff fork (stock
    >> > mounted).
    >>
    >> How old is the bike? http://www.j-
    >> harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm#3.17
    >
    > I do not really know because I have bought this bike
    > second hand. I guess it is from between 1995 to 1997 .It
    > has an insert stem of 1" but this does not really mean it
    > has a 1" steering tube.

    I'm afraid it does.

    > It is inserted in another tube slightly larger than 1" of
    > course (1"1/8 ???)

    Are you talking about the head tube?

    --
    a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

  5. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Yes you can put a suspension fork on that baby. I did it
    to a 97 Gary Fisher Wahoo. It jacked the front end up
    some. Suspension forks work better if the brake are V and
    not Canti's.

    I MTB 2004