Upgrading Kona Lava dome

Jan

Guest
Does any one know whether it is possible to upgrade my Kona
Lava Dome (Race light) with a suspension fork. It is now
equiped with the Project 2 stiff fork (stock mounted).

Will it affect the bikes geometry , riding "feel", will the
frame be strong enough to handle the suspension fork.

Do I have to look for a "short" suspension fork or can I fit
any travel to my frame.

Thanks in advance

Jan

bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 06:29:11 -0800, Jan wrote:
>
> > Does any one know whether it is possible to upgrade my
> > Kona Lava Dome (Race light) with a suspension fork. It
> > is now equiped with the Project 2 stiff fork (stock
> > mounted).
>
> How old is the bike? http://www.j-
> harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm#3.17

I do not really know because I have bought this bike second
hand. I guess it is from between 1995 to 1997 .It has an
insert stem of 1" but this does not really mean it has a 1"
steering tube. It is inserted in another tube slightly
larger than 1" of course (1"1/8 ???)

Jan

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 00:00:50 -0800, Jan wrote:

>> > Does any one know whether it is possible to upgrade my
>> > Kona Lava Dome (Race light) with a suspension fork. It
>> > is now equiped with the Project 2 stiff fork (stock
>> > mounted).
>>
>> How old is the bike? http://www.j-
>> harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm#3.17
>
> I do not really know because I have bought this bike
> second hand. I guess it is from between 1995 to 1997 .It
> has an insert stem of 1" but this does not really mean it
> has a 1" steering tube.

I'm afraid it does.

> It is inserted in another tube slightly larger than 1" of
> course (1"1/8 ???)

Are you talking about the head tube?

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

Yes you can put a suspension fork on that baby. I did it
to a 97 Gary Fisher Wahoo. It jacked the front end up
some. Suspension forks work better if the brake are V and
not Canti's.

I MTB 2004