Upgrading Mirage Ergo 8 speed

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Wayne Menzie, Jul 9, 2004.

  1. Wayne Menzie

    Wayne Menzie Guest

    I'm looking to upgrade my Campagnolo Mirage Ergo 8 speed shifters and it's
    not clear to me whether I can go to 10 speeds or even 9. They are 1998
    models with the old-style pointed hoods. The pages I've read seem to have
    conflicting information on whether an upgrade is possible. Anybody out
    there done this already?

    While we're on the subject, what about the rear hub. Do I have to do
    anything special to put a 9 or 10 speed cassette on it or will it fit just
    like the 8 speed does now? Again, it seems like there is conflicting
    information on this. Any info would be appreciated.

    --
    Wayne Menzie

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    Wayne Menzie <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I'm looking to upgrade my Campagnolo Mirage Ergo 8 speed shifters and it's
    >not clear to me whether I can go to 10 speeds or even 9. They are 1998
    >models with the old-style pointed hoods. The pages I've read seem to have
    >conflicting information on whether an upgrade is possible. Anybody out
    >there done this already?

    9 speed upgrade is possible for that lever if you can find
    the parts. Vecchio's had them last I checked but not much cost
    savings over a used set of 9 speed Veloce levers.

    >While we're on the subject, what about the rear hub. Do I have to do
    >anything special to put a 9 or 10 speed cassette on it or will it fit just
    >like the 8 speed does now?

    It is possible to convert that hub to a 9-speed cassette but
    hard to find parts.

    Wheels Manufacturing offers a 9-on-8 conversion which would let
    you keep your existing freehub but costs $90.
    http://www.wheelsmfg.com/products.php?cat=shiftconv&prod=shiftconv9#b

    The upgrades you want to do are all possible but not very
    cost effective to obtain one more cog. I have one 8-speed bike
    myself and I have decided to just leave it alone.

  3. Wayne Menzie wrote:
    > I'm looking to upgrade my Campagnolo Mirage Ergo 8 speed shifters and it's
    > not clear to me whether I can go to 10 speeds or even 9. They are 1998
    > models with the old-style pointed hoods. The pages I've read seem to have
    > conflicting information on whether an upgrade is possible. Anybody out
    > there done this already?
    >
    > While we're on the subject, what about the rear hub. Do I have to do
    > anything special to put a 9 or 10 speed cassette on it or will it fit just
    > like the 8 speed does now? Again, it seems like there is conflicting
    > information on this. Any info would be appreciated.

    Are you sure the rear hub is a freehub type and not a freewheel one? I
    have a bike that's about that age, with campy mirage 8 and it has a
    freewheel.
    This makes things harder.

    Francesco

  4. way-<< I'm looking to upgrade my Campagnolo Mirage Ergo 8 speed shifters and
    it's
    not clear to me whether I can go to 10 speeds or even 9 >><BR><BR>

    Yes you can go to 9s with the addition of a shift disc, part number EC-RE-313.
    What you cannot do is go to 10s as the innards of this shifter is the same as
    1998 Record/Chorus which cannot be converted either as the thru bolt design
    changed in 1999 for ERGO brain.

    way-<< Do I have to do
    anything special to put a 9 or 10 speed cassette on it or will it fit just
    like the 8 speed does now? >><BR><BR>

    You CAN convert your rear hub to 9s with a freehub body from modern
    Veloce--part number FH-MI-115.You cannot put 9s cogs onto the 8s freehub-

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  5. Paul-<< 9 speed upgrade is possible for that lever if you can find
    the parts. Vecchio's had them last I checked but not much cost
    savings over a used set of 9 speed Veloce levers. >><BR><BR>

    $45 for the parts-any $45 veloce ERGO out there?

    <Paul< It is possible to convert that hub to a 9-speed cassette but
    hard to find parts. >><BR><BR>

    See my post. If the gent's rear hub is the cart bearing(standard on Mirage) and
    now that Veloce is the same hub, conversion is easy. Finding a Athena rear
    freehub for 9s is the hard one.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Paul-<< 9 speed upgrade is possible for that lever if you can find
    >the parts. Vecchio's had them last I checked but not much cost
    >savings over a used set of 9 speed Veloce levers. >><BR><BR>
    >
    >$45 for the parts-any $45 veloce ERGO out there?

    I paid $60 for a set, that makes it not worthwhile to upgrade
    the old shifter in my book. 9 speed is only going to keep getting
    cheaper.

  7. SMMB

    SMMB Guest

    "Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> a √©crit dans le message de :
    news:[email protected]
    > way-<< I'm looking to upgrade my Campagnolo Mirage Ergo 8 speed shifters

    and
    > it's
    > not clear to me whether I can go to 10 speeds or even 9 >><BR><BR>
    >
    > Yes you can go to 9s with the addition of a shift disc, part number

    EC-RE-313.
    > What you cannot do is go to 10s as the innards of this shifter is the same

    as
    > 1998 Record/Chorus which cannot be converted either as the thru bolt

    design
    > changed in 1999 for ERGO brain.
    >
    > way-<< Do I have to do
    > anything special to put a 9 or 10 speed cassette on it or will it fit just
    > like the 8 speed does now? >><BR><BR>
    >
    > You CAN convert your rear hub to 9s with a freehub body from modern
    > Veloce--part number FH-MI-115.You cannot put 9s cogs onto the 8s freehub-

    It seems you guys can't get Miche cassettes, am I right ? They are
    available as 8 speeds, and then just add one more cog, change the spacers
    that Miche also sells (5 euros the set) and you have what you are after.
    --
    Bonne route,

    Sandy
    Paris FR

  8. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On 10 Jul 2004 13:03:06 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
    Campagnolo ) wrote:

    >You CAN convert your rear hub to 9s with a freehub body from modern
    >Veloce--part number FH-MI-115.You cannot put 9s cogs onto the 8s freehub-

    YOu can put 9 x 8sp Campy cogs on an 8sp hub body. YOu need to use
    2.5 mm spacers, which are the purple ones that Wheels Mfg. makes.
    Ideally, you'd like a 12/23 x 8sp cassette and a 26t cog to put on.