Upgrading my bike

Originally Posted by dabac
Thing is, humans as measuring devices suck at registering absolute values, but can be surprisingly sensitive when it comes to detecting changes.
So a lighter bike, particulary with lighter wheels, can bring a huge change to the feel of the bike.
And with that can come a huge change in the enjoyment of the rider - even if doesn't amount to shaving any important number of minutes off from the favourite ride.
I don't dare argue over what a rider may perceive. My comment was merely to point out that weight is weight and that the rider's weight loss ought to be as important as any weight saving on components or frame. Of course, with elite riders, every ounce counts and weight savings are more likely to be achieved through lighter components than trying to reduce their already trim bodies.

"My comment was merely to point out that weight is weight and that the rider's weight loss ought to be as important as any weight saving on components or frame."

This is true and I don't think anyone would minimize the importance of the rider's weight in the overall equation.

It's just that the rider's weight is what it is. Ignoring the, "Just take a good, healthy **** before you ride.", when discussing the mass of bicycles, it is often the most expedient course to buy a lighter bike, install lighter wheels or upgrade to weight weenie components.

Most racers (leave Jan out of this!) are obsessive about body mass. Most performance riders are well aware of it. Tourists and freds...not so much. It's just more fun and easier for anyone with the income level required to slap on a pair of uber light weight carbon aero 8-spoke wheels that require no tubes than to achieve that gaunt, hollow-cheek look of classics finisher. And it makes for never-ending bragging sessions and internet discussions!

dabac said:
Thing is, humans as measuring devices suck at registering absolute values, but can be surprisingly sensitive when it comes to detecting changes. So a lighter bike, particulary with lighter wheels, can bring a huge change to the feel of the bike. And with that can come a huge change in the enjoyment of the rider - even if doesn't amount to shaving any important number of minutes off from the favourite ride.
Unfortunately that human measuring device can be biased by many factors: mood, state of rest, state of health, weather, distractions, memory, stress.... Certainly, many riders will think they detect a change when they know about the change beforehand. Confirmation bias is powerful. The repeatability of the human measuring device is certainly questionable. In the end, I think subjective analysis by people of the performance benefits of changes on the bike should be taken with a sizable grain of salt.

quote from alien:

"Confirmation bias is powerful."

But not half as powerful as denial bias.