Upgrading my Frame. Suggestions?

nickcach

Jan 14, 2008
Hi,

I am new to the forum and am looking for some advice as to what frame to purchase. I currently have a 2004 Specialized Allez Comp with a complete Ultegra Group. I am looking to upgrade the frame to carbon. I would like to stay with specialized, but will consider everything. Also, I was quoted $150 for the labor of transfering my components. Does that sound right?

Any suggestions.

Thank you,

Nick Cach

$150 sounds about right for transferring the components and adjusting them. This is something that you should be able to do yourself though. You would probably have to buy some special tools like a BB installation tool, but assembling a new bike and making it work right is half the fun of owning a bike! With a CF frame, you will definitely need a torque wrench. CF is not at all forgiving if you over torque any of the fasteners.

You could look at Pedal Force frameset. They are pretty nice, reportedly, and cheap.

What are you looking for in your new frame (or what does not satisfy you in your current frame)?

What is your price range? As you probably realise a frame can cost from 100 USD on ebay to 5000 USD easily.

N.B. It is ok to also be affected by new bicycle spend-itis, it happens to everyone on this forum too... ;)

Powerful Pete said:
What are you looking for in your new frame (or what does not satisfy you in your current frame)?

What is your price range? As you probably realise a frame can cost from 100 USD on ebay to 5000 USD easily.

N.B. It is ok to also be affected by new bicycle spend-itis, it happens to everyone on this forum too... ;)
I am happy with my current setup, but I feel its time to upgrade. I would like something lighter and faster. I also think I have a bit of spend-itis. I have been looking at the specialized Tarmac Pro. Its expensive but well worth the money.

You may be better off selling your complete bike and getting a complete bike. Often times the frame alone is really expensive from a shop but the complete bike is only a little bit more than the "frame only" price. Just something you may want to think about

nickcach said:
I am happy with my current setup, but I feel its time to upgrade. I would like something lighter and faster. I also think I have a bit of spend-itis. I have been looking at the specialized Tarmac Pro. Its expensive but well worth the money.
What makes a frame faster? If you take 800g off the frame, which is probably more than you reasonably could, then you will be about 1% faster on steep climbs and NO faster on the flat. If you buy a more aerodynamic frame, such as a Cervelo, then you will save up to 7W at 45km/h. Given that you would be putting out somewhere between 400 and 500W to maintain that speed, you're talking about a <2% improvement in power wastage, and <1% improvement in speed. Take note that very few frames, even very expensive ones, will be more aerodynamic than your Specialized.
What I'm saying is that you could spend a lot of money making no noticeable difference to the quality of your ride. Think hard about it. The only really good excuse for a frame change is if it doesn't fit you.

artemidorus said:
What makes a frame faster? If you take 800g off the frame, which is probably more than you reasonably could, then you will be about 1% faster on steep climbs and NO faster on the flat. If you buy a more aerodynamic frame, such as a Cervelo, then you will save up to 7W at 45km/h. Given that you would be putting out somewhere between 400 and 500W to maintain that speed, you're talking about a <2% improvement in power wastage, and <1% improvement in speed. Take note that very few frames, even very expensive ones, will be more aerodynamic than your Specialized.
What I'm saying is that you could spend a lot of money making no noticeable difference to the quality of your ride. Think hard about it. The only really good excuse for a frame change is if it doesn't fit you.
+1. Hey artemidorus, we agree again! Anyway, a CF frame may be lighter, but faster is all you. No bike will make you faster. YOU make you faster. While it is fun to get a new bike, you need to concentrate on the "engine" to make you faster, and that, my friend, means interval training:( .

kdelong said:
+1. Hey artemidorus, we agree again! Anyway, a CF frame may be lighter, but faster is all you. No bike will make you faster. YOU make you faster. While it is fun to get a new bike, you need to concentrate on the "engine" to make you faster, and that, my friend, means interval training:( .
Guess it's all a matter of degree, but saving 1-2% on a long climb or TT seems like a pretty major advantage to me. The World Master's TT was won last year with a 6 second margin, something well under 1% difference. And for me, 1% means 12 seconds ahead of my club buddies on a steep 20 minute climb with no more effort, which isn't a bad thing at all.

The motor may be 98% of the equation, but if equipment can provide a 1-2% margin, and the racer/rider can afford it, why not buy the speed?

dhk2 said:
Guess it's all a matter of degree, but saving 1-2% on a long climb or TT seems like a pretty major advantage to me. The World Master's TT was won last year with a 6 second margin, something well under 1% difference. And for me, 1% means 12 seconds ahead of my club buddies on a steep 20 minute climb with no more effort, which isn't a bad thing at all.

The motor may be 98% of the equation, but if equipment can provide a 1-2% margin, and the racer/rider can afford it, why not buy the speed?
He didn't say he was going to buy a TT bike, so he's probably not going to be buying any aerodynamics.
Just as long as he knows what he's paying for. I think people also need to be aware that composite is not, by definition, an upgrade, and, in fact, for cheaper CF frames, is probably quite the opposite.

Come on guys, let's face it. He just wants a new bike. :)

When you have cash burning a hole in your pocket while you are salivating looking at the newest and greatest carbon fiber wonderbike in an LBS window, logic does not come into the equation...

Powerful Pete said:
Come on guys, let's face it. He just wants a new bike. :)

When you have cash burning a hole in your pocket while you are salivating looking at the newest and greatest carbon fiber wonderbike in an LBS window, logic does not come into the equation...
That sounds about right. I just want a new bike. I should be able to get at least $300 for my current frame, so I would be willing to spend another $700. So for $1000 what are my options?

Or, I can sell my bike for around $800 and spend Around $1500 on a new bike.

What do you think is more resonable?

Remember, I have a complete Ultegra Group I can transfer over to a new frame, and for $1500 I wouldnt be getting much out of a new bike.

dhk2 said:

Cuz those results are only predictable if all things remain constant when you get your new bike, which of course, with a human powered machine, cannot be predicted. The new bike 'may' give you those 12 seconds or they may not. It depends on a very unpredictable engine, a human.

Really only 4 things make a significant difference in cycling performance
-Fit-as in, does your bike fit you
-fitness-are you as fit as possible
-fat-lack thereof on you
-finesse-riding and racing smart.

All 'Fs', none of them 'frame.

nickcach said:
I just watched a review of the new Tarmac Expert. I'm not looking to get one, but I thought I would share the link.

May I ask why you are limiting yourself to the Tarmac Pro? There are a lot of nice frames that you can get and transfer your Ultegra groupset to...

Hey, what's wrong with wanting a new frame? I wish I could retire my antique and get something snazzy and modern, but just don't have the funds right now. A Pinarello or Orbea would do just fine.

If you're going to spend a lot of time on a bike, it may as well be one you're happy with.

As for CF framesets... I'd suggest you scan craigslist and ebay for frames in your size. That should give you a good idea of what you'll pay, and what you can get.

artemidorus said:
OK, we're talking bling? I'll give you three words - Cervelo Soloist Carbon.

Or

Waterford R-32

or

Pegoretti Responsorium

Both stainless steel, VERY whizbang, with the Waterford using a variety of polished stainless lugesets...NICE!!