Upgrading my Frame. Suggestions?

ward17 said:
What`s better monque or luged

Asthetically, hard to beat polished lugs altho performance wise, with all the new steel tubing, lugging isn't necessary. I have a R-32 on order for me, I'll ley ya know..wanna buy a Merckx MXLeader?

nickcach said:
Thanks for the link. Im going for the Tarmac Pro.
Good luck with the Tarmac. I needed a larger frame and found a slightly used 58cm Tarmac Pro on Ebay. I got it for $700, paid $125 for the swap and can't be happier. They're incredible frames. It fits like a glove and rides like a dream. Have fun!

Scott

artemidorus said:
I think people also need to be aware that composite is not, by definition, an upgrade, and, in fact, for cheaper CF frames, is probably quite the opposite.

+1
and he said he wants a lighter frame. i was in the same situation as the original poster going from a specialized allez thinking upgrading to a CF tarmac frame. but when i went to the shop and see it, the tarmac pro is actually much heavier compare to the allez considering it's a CF frame (unless you go into s-works tarmac). so my final purchase was again another alu alloy frame but lighter since i can't afford a too expensive cf frame.

nickcach said:
That sounds about right. I just want a new bike. I should be able to get at least $300 for my current frame, so I would be willing to spend another $700. So for $1000 what are my options?

Or, I can sell my bike for around $800 and spend Around $1500 on a new bike.

What do you think is more resonable?

Remember, I have a complete Ultegra Group I can transfer over to a new frame, and for $1500 I wouldnt be getting much out of a new bike.
For $1,500 you could get a used high-end bike in very good condition via eBay that would cost you more than $4,000 if you bought it new. The carbon monocoque frame and fork on my Aegis Aro Svelte (bought used) lists for $2,249. Add in a full Dura Ace gruppo and a set of custom Dura Ace/Mavic CXP-33 wheels, Chris King headset, Thomson seatpost and stem, Easton EC90 SLX bar, Conti 4000's. etc., etc., and you're talking well over $4K, and maybe $5K+. I paid $1,275.

nickcach said:
Hi,

I am new to the forum and am looking for some advice as to what frame to purchase. I currently have a 2004 Specialized Allez Comp with a complete Ultegra Group. I am looking to upgrade the frame to carbon. I would like to stay with specialized, but will consider everything. Also, I was quoted $150 for the labor of transfering my components. Does that sound right?

Any suggestions.

Thank you,

Nick Cach
Nick, absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a new carbon frame. Don't try to rationalize it as being faster though. It will be an opportunity to look at different geometry for better or different fit and comfort. So you should think of that.

If it were me, I'd have to be convinced that it is smarter to buy a new frame and transfer parts vs. getting a new bike. I doubt you'll get much at all for a used Allez Comp frame - who would want to buy it? It's a perfectly nice frame, but most people who are buying frames are looking for something new and different and/or an upgrade (like you, looking to go from al to carbon). I don't think your frame fits either of those categories.

On the other hand, from what I've seen, there is an EXCELLENT used market for complete bikes in that "known-brand frame/ultegra groupset" category. A complete bike like that is indeed an upgrade for a lot of people (who are in Sora, Tiagara, 105 level bikes or are riding their old downtube shifter bike from the 80s), and they are looking for a used one that's been treated well. I'll bet yours is in great condition if you're considering keeping the groupset. BTDT - last spring in fact. An Ultegra level bike is really attractive on the used market, from what I've seen.

The only thing I'd even THINK of keeping from the old bike is the wheels if you've upgraded them. If you have excellent wheels and want to keep them, replace with something like Mavic Aksium for the sale. Aksiums are very nice wheels - good quality, reasonably light for recreational riding, and look very nice. Importantly, they are very affordable and are a reasonable wheel for a bike like that.

Camilo said:
Nick, absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a new carbon frame. Don't try to rationalize it as being faster though. It will be an opportunity to look at different geometry for better or different fit and comfort. So you should think of that.

If it were me, I'd have to be convinced that it is smarter to buy a new frame and transfer parts vs. getting a new bike. I doubt you'll get much at all for a used Allez Comp frame - who would want to buy it? It's a perfectly nice frame, but most people who are buying frames are looking for something new and different and/or an upgrade (like you, looking to go from al to carbon). I don't think your frame fits either of those categories.

On the other hand, from what I've seen, there is an EXCELLENT used market for complete bikes in that "known-brand frame/ultegra groupset" category. A complete bike like that is indeed an upgrade for a lot of people (who are in Sora, Tiagara, 105 level bikes or are riding their old downtube shifter bike from the 80s), and they are looking for a used one that's been treated well. I'll bet yours is in great condition if you're considering keeping the groupset. BTDT - last spring in fact. An Ultegra level bike is really attractive on the used market, from what I've seen.

The only thing I'd even THINK of keeping from the old bike is the wheels if you've upgraded them. If you have excellent wheels and want to keep them, replace with something like Mavic Aksium for the sale. Aksiums are very nice wheels - good quality, reasonably light for recreational riding, and look very nice. Importantly, they are very affordable and are a reasonable wheel for a bike like that.
Another thing that I would consider keeping from the old bike is the saddle. CF Bike = $1500. Comfort in the saddle = Priceless!

kdelong said:
Another thing that I would consider keeping from the old bike is the saddle. CF Bike = $1500. Comfort in the saddle = Priceless!
Thank you all for your insight. Here's what I finally decided.

I purchased a 2006 Specialized Tarmac Pro.

So now my current bike is for sale if anyone is interested. Its going to be on ebay on Monday.

2004 Specialized Allez Comp ($850)

E5-SLX Columbus tubing
Full Ultegra Group 9-speed
FACT Carbon 4 Fork
Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheelset
Specialized 6010 aluminum stem and bar
FSA integrated headset with FSA carbon spacers
Specialized "pave" carbon seatpost with "zerts" vibration-dampening insert
Mondo Pro Tires

Bike is in perfect mechanical condition. Does has some monor scuffs and scratches. No dings or dents. Never raced or crashed. Inquire and I will send you pics