upgrading my super six

o1silver4

Nov 24, 2012
I have put 149.21mi on my new SUPER SIX APEX so far. And so far this bike has been amazing. So i have decided to start upgrading my components. Started with RD to a FORCE RD, and notice a big improvement in shifting in the rear. Also i was going to go with a HALLOW GRAM crank. But got a really good deal on FSA SL-K LIGHT compact crank. So i change out the OMEGA crank, for the SL-K crank. Also i couldn't believe how much of a pig the OMEGA crank is WOW! I am also shopping for FIZIK seat and a carbon post. I want to upgrade my shifters has well to FORCE but really could tell the deference in the shifting. But i heard RED shifters are the only one out of all the group that is different. can any testify to this? If so it would make sense to go RED thanks in advanced. H

ere is a couple of shots of the bike with the new components.

Reactions: hullhull10
Nice bike ...

FWIW. Well, SRAM components are certainly "okay" ...

• and, what SRAM has accomplished with their Road group(s) in such a relatively short period of time can be considered to be remarkable ...

BUT, if you really want to upgrade your shifters, you should consider getting a pair of CAMPAGNOLO shifters ...

FYI. Several years ago, Lennard Zinn successfully mated some 10-speed Campagnolo shifters to an otherwise SRAM drivetrain.

Why don't you test ride a bike with SRAM Red to see the difference in shifting? Hearsay doesn't really count for much, and having a test ride on Red is a much better option than choosing the hillbilly option and throwing Campy shifters on. For a seat post, I'd suggest you give serious consideration to Fizik's seat post or to the Syntace P6 Hi-Flex. You should not, however, that carbon fiber is no magic material and is not necessarily better than other options. You should also note that zero of these upgrades will make you faster.

Thanks for the advice, next time i am at my ILBS i will see if they have a bike equip with RED shifters and give it a test ride for sure. And has for the components not making u faster is true to some degree. But I can surely testify to this, my first road bike JAMIS VENTURA SPORT that i rode for 3years was a decent road bike for sure, but it is nothing comparing to this new SUPER SIX. This bike is mush better and faster in every way, It get up to speed faster its smoother, it climbs better, sometime i of to look to see if the bike is still under me. I enjoy riding in the mountains, because this bike flies up the hills like its on flat i smile every time i ride this bike, its so much fun. I use to think that all road bikes were the same, when it comes to performing and riding. But this SUPER SIX proves me wrong. And i now see why some bikes cost more than others. Maybe components wont make u faster, But i could tell a big deferents in the shifting when i change out the APEX RD for FORCE RD. so that would equate to more a efficient shifting i think. Everything about my new SUPER SIX is better in every way. And for the seat post i will definitely look into the FIZIK brand, for sure thanks.

Thanks for the reply, i heard good things about CAMPY. But if i were to do CAMPY shifters i would do RD and FD as well. Just to save my self any potential headache, I also heard good things about RED. And since my bike came equip with SRAM it would be easier to just sick with SRAM since they work well with each other, But thank though.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Why don't you test ride a bike with SRAM Red to see the difference in shifting? Hearsay doesn't really count for much, and having a test ride on Red is[COLOR= #ff0000] a much better option than choosing the hillbilly option and throwing Campy shifters on[/COLOR].

¿i¿ Lennard Zinn is a [COLOR= #ff0000]Hillbilly[/COLOR] ?!?

Geez! I realize that SRAM components are generally a poor substitute for SHIMANO components ...

• AND/OR that a CAMPAGNOLO-SRAM combination is a poor substitute for a CAMPAGNOLO-SHIMANO drivetrain combination ...

But, I wouldn't go so far as to suggest that Lennard Zinn is [COLOR= #ff0000]Hllbilly[/COLOR][COLOR= #000000]!!![/COLOR]

Reactions: Cheswick
Originally Posted by o1silver4 .

Thanks for the advice, next time i am at my ILBS i will see if they have a bike equip with RED shifters and give it a test ride for sure. And has for the components not making u faster is true to some degree.[COLOR= #008000] But I can surely testify to this, my first road bike JAMIS VENTURA SPORT that i rode for 3years was a decent road bike for sure, but it is nothing comparing to this new SUPER SIX.[/COLOR] This bike is mush better and faster in every way, It get up to speed faster its smoother, it climbs better, sometime i of to look to see if the bike is still under me. I enjoy riding in the mountains, because this bike flies up the hills like its on flat i smile every time i ride this bike, its so much fun. I use to think that all road bikes were the same, when it comes to performing and riding. But this SUPER SIX proves me wrong. And i now see why some bikes cost more than others. Maybe components wont make u faster, But i could tell a big deferents in the shifting when i change out the APEX RD for FORCE RD. so that would equate to more a efficient shifting i think. Everything about my new SUPER SIX is better in every way. And for the seat post i will definitely look into the FIZIK brand, for sure thanks.
BTW. If you still have your JAMIS VENTURA SPORT, then a test which you may-or-may-not want to try is to [COLOR= #006400]swap wheelsets [/COLOR]& see how the two different frames ride-and-respond.

If you don't want to put Campagnolo shifters on you Cannondale, then it may be something to consider for your JAMIS ...

• IMO, the only possible problem with using Campagnolo shifters is that you may not want to use a different brand in the future unless you become a sponsored rider for whom there is no choice ...
  • OR, if you opt for an electronic drivetrain ([COLOR= #808080]which 'I' am not sure is better -- as in, [/COLOR][COLOR= #0000ff]more efficient)[/COLOR] than a Campagnolo-Shimano combination.

I had MAVIC KYSRIUM on my JAMIS as well. Has i said before the JAMIS was a decent bike. But my new SUPER SIX just out perform my JAMIS in every way. Ridding my JAMIS for 3 years, ride my SUPER SIX for the first time 28mi and i was like wow! I was blown way by the way this bike rides just amazing. Even the CAAD10 i tested was a much better ride than my JAMIS and its aluminum. I guest its the way CANNONDALE engineers design these bikes. Because with every pedal stroke the bike just respond forward, it is very stiff and responsive bike.

150 miles?

You have not even broken in your shifters yet.

That said, Force shifters feel better to me than Rival. 'Feel'. They shift about the same, which is to say they both work perfectly. The finish level and look of the Force/Red line is aesthetically at a higher level. The Force line's use of magnesium, titanium and carbon fiber component parts in place of the Apex aluminum parts saves 30-40 grams and gives you some semi-awesome bragging points.

The Zero Loss shifting in the Force line may be where the feel difference comes in. While the shifting of the Force does not seem lighter or more positive to me (compared to Rival w/Rival derailleurs) it does seem to shift a bit faster, especially at higher pedal pressures. And that could be attributed to any combination of chain rings, cassette teeth and derailleurs.

I had MAVIC KYSRIUM on my JAMIS as well. Has i said before the JAMIS was a decent bike. But my new SUPER SIX just out perform my JAMIS in every way. Ridding my JAMIS for 3 years, ride my SUPER SIX for the first time 28mi and i was like wow! I was blown way by the way this bike rides just amazing. Even the CAAD10 i tested was a much better ride than my JAMIS and its aluminum. I guest its the way CANNONDALE engineers design these bikes. Because with every pedal stroke the bike just respond forward, it is very stiff and responsive bike.
If you could just humor me for a moment & clarify whether the Ksyrium wheels on your JAMIS are the same model as on your CANNONDALE ...

After all, a Corvette is a Chevrolet, but not all Chevrolets can be said to be capable of a Corvette's performance.

SRAM Red all the way! I have never been a huge fan of Shimano and I don't like Campy stuff one bit. The only Shimano that is appealing at all is the DI2 stuff, but I don't trust electronic equipment fully. SRAM Red just works, like it's intended. Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

If all the Campy vanished from the planet this afternoon, tomorrow would find me on SRAM Red Black. 11-speed. When they finally catch up to Campy. And shimaNO.

Originally Posted by YukonLT .

SRAM Red all the way! I have never been a huge fan of Shimano and I don't like Campy stuff one bit. The only Shimano that is appealing at all is the DI2 stuff, but I don't trust electronic equipment fully. SRAM Red just works, like it's intended.
Interesting ...

So, are you saying that the mis-shift which Schleck, et al, experienced had been intentionally engineered into the SRAM drivetrain?!?

Originally Posted by YukonLT .

SRAM Red all the way! I have never been a huge fan of Shimano and I don't like Campy stuff one bit. The only Shimano that is appealing at all is the DI2 stuff, but I don't trust electronic equipment fully. SRAM Red just works, like it's intended.
Have you ever tried Cauliflower as prepared by a graduate of the French Culinary Insitute? I used to swear the same thing up and down about that godforsaken vegetable.

After trying the new Campy 11 speed it's doubtful I will ride on anything else for awhile. Looks and works great and the new brifters are the finest design of anything that's come out of the cycling world, ever. This, coming from a tried and true Shimano guy circa 1982.

danfoz said:
Have you ever tried Cauliflower as prepared by a graduate of the French Culinary Insitute? I used to swear the same thing up and down about that godforsaken vegetable. After trying the new Campy 11 speed it's doubtful I will ride on anything else for awhile. Looks and works great and the new brifters are the finest design of anything that's come out of the cycling world, ever. This, coming from a tried and true Shimano guy circa 1982.
I've tasted cauliflower microwaved made by mother-in-law and tasted cauliflower made by my wife. I can tell you there's a big difference, and in doesn't tilt in the mother-in-law's direction.

they where ELITES, And i would just like to add the my SUPER SIX was fitted with SHIMANO R500 wheelset when i bought the bike. And even with those wheels, the stiffness and responsiveness of the bike was still amazing. And i am starting to think that its all have to do with the frame of the bike. Although wheels do play apart, but i am starting to think jugging from my latest experience that it all starts with the frame. design, material etc. And yes corvette is indeed chevy, but a chevy thats in a total different league. especially a ZR1 with a LS9 which is really a 427 with a SUPERCHARGER. R

ace one of these with my GIXXER 1000 and this thing was on my tail all the way to 160mph. wouldn't u agree thats a beast of chevy? may be a JAMIS XENITH RACE would be more of a comparison to the SUPER SIX, But definitely not the VENTURA SPORT which was my previous bike and decent bike has well.

they where ELITES, And i would just like to add the my SUPER SIX was fitted with SHIMANO R500 wheelset when i bought the bike. And even with those wheels, the stiffness and responsiveness of the bike was still amazing. And i am starting to think that its all have to do with the frame of the bike. Although wheels do play apart, but i am starting to think jugging from my latest experience that it all starts with the frame. design, material etc. And yes corvette is indeed chevy, but a chevy thats in a total different league. especially a ZR1 with a LS9 which is really a 427 with a SUPERCHARGER. Race one of these with my GIXXER 1000 and this thing was on my tail all the way to 160mph. wouldn't u agree thats a beast of chevy? may be a JAMIS XENITH RACE would be more of a comparison to the SUPER SIX, But definitely not the VENTURA SPORT which was my previous bike and decent bike has well.
Okay ... thanks for clarifying the situation with your wheelsets.

Of course, I can't disagree about straight line performance of either your Suzuki or the Vette ...

BTW. Is there still a Vette with a small block engine?

• Wouldn't a small block engine Vette actually be preferred by a performance oriented driver, particularly if someone wanted to race Formula 7 (Is that the correct category OR is Formula 7 the GTO category? I'm too old to remember!) which I think is still (?!?) restricted to a displacement of 5 liters ... OR, is that also (down to?) 3 liters?!?

Regardless, 'I' have to presume that the Vette's chassis still provides optimal handling with a lighter engine weight no matter how well it has been tuned for the power & weight of a 427 engine.

BTW2. While it is probably worthwhile to TEST RIDE a bike with SRAM RED components, when you are truly ready for an upgrade in your shifters then you really should compare SRAM's offerings with a bike which has Campagnolo shifters ... particularly, now, since the Campagnolo's 11-speed Cassettes now appear to have Cogs whose tooth profile more closely resembles the tooth profile on Shimano Cassettes ...

• my experience, FWIW, is that Campagnolo shifters mated to an otherwise Shimano drivetrain just shift better -- I'm not just talking about shifting when the on the Flat, but about the shifting when going UPHILL & shifting while the drivetrain is under load & without going through any machinations of needing to unweight the drivetrain, etc. ...
  • and, AFAIK, the Campagnolo-Shimano combination is only matched by the gushing reviews about how well the various reviewers feel that Campagnolo & Shimano electronic shifters function

• FWIW. IMO, Shimano's mechanical derailleurs are superior ... that's not to say that Campagnolo's rear derailleurs may not be as good, but the mid-range Shimano rear derailleurs are functionally as good as their best, and the mid-range Campagnolo rear derailleurs have a higher starting price point
  • I'm not convinced that Campagnolo's front derailleurs are as good as Shimano's, yet, but I haven't tested the newest Record (and, presumably Chorus) front derailleurs ... a quick test with an Athena front derailleur was under whelming; but, I'll try to give THAT front derailleur another go at some point in the future.

In other words, that's a long way of saying that smoother-and-more-efficient shifting is the suggested upgrade which is most economically achievable by simply installing a pair of Campagnolo shifters to your current bike(s).

o1silver4 said:
ace one of these with my GIXXER 1000 and this thing was on my tail all the way to 160mph. wouldn't u agree thats a beast of chevy? may be a JAMIS XENITH RACE would be more of a comparison to the SUPER SIX, But definitely not the VENTURA SPORT which was my previous bike and decent bike has well.
Well, if there's one place it's safe to go 160mph, it's on public roads. After all, what could go wrong? You must be someone's hero.

No sir this wasn't done on the road. this was at the texas mile. I wouldn't do that on the road, All of my i speed riding have been done on the track never the road. The only place where i have done speeds like that where its legal is the autobahn.

"After trying the new Campy 11 speed it's doubtful I will ride on anything else for awhile. Looks and works great and the new brifters are the finest design of anything that's come out of the cycling world, ever. This, coming from a tried and true Shimano guy circa 1982."

You know...I'm bigoted...er...biased, but I'm hereby promoting you to Hero of the Campy Union.