upgrading my super six

"It's my pleasure to have come from an Italian family, Tuscan on both sides."

So...which Campy groupset do you ride?

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

"It's my pleasure to have come from an Italian family, Tuscan on both sides."

So...which Campy groupset do you ride?
None. The Supersix I just bought has SRAM Rival. If I don't like it, I will change it at some point. However, I do have a budget and Campagnolo was beyond it. I don't think Cannondale equips any bikes with Campagnolo groupsets. Even their Supersix EVO Black is equipped with Dura Ace 9000.

[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Nice bike! Which model is that, and, if you don't mind my asking, how much?[/COLOR]

Just bought at the base PX/BX for a deep discount. Gotta toss the dweeb disc and reflectors in the trash and file down the lawyer tabs. Crankset will get replaced and lose a few spacers.

[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]"Nice bike! Which model is that, and, if you don't mind my asking, how much?"[/COLOR]

Just bought at the base PX/BX for a deep discount. Gotta toss the dweeb disc and reflectors in the trash and file down the lawyer tabs. Crankset will get replaced and lose a few spacers.

Never mind, Synapse Carbon Hi Mod 3 Ultegra. Good luck with it!

Reactions: hullhull10
hyperliterate said:
[COLOR=181818]Yes, that's why I bought a Supersix 4 Rival this past Friday, but thanks for the tip regarding performance and confirming the wisdom of my purchase.  The high modulus carbon fiber frame of the EVO is lighter.  That brings up an interesting question: why don't any of the manufacturers include weight as equipped for each of the models among the detailed specifications that they post on the websites?  [/COLOR]
The weight difference matters very little. I'm guessing the manufacturers don't give weights for fully equipped bikes because they don't make most of the components, and there's no control that they can exert over the weights of given components. Besides those weights are available from component manufacturers. Moreover those weights, like the weights of the frames, are variable, with the variation being dependent on materials used and production standards. The manufacturers likely get enough grief from their customers about frame size X weighing 50g more than the stated weight of frame size X-2, so their certainly not anxious to make claims for other manufacturer's parts.

Originally Posted by hyperliterate .

Yes, that's why I bought a Supersix 4 Rival this past Friday, but thanks for the tip regarding performance and confirming the wisdom of my purchase. The high modulus carbon fiber frame of the EVO is lighter. That brings up an interesting question: why don't any of the manufacturers include weight as equipped for each of the models among the detailed specifications that they post on the websites?
In addition to what's been stated above and while it is certain many manufactures advertise the weights based on their smallest frames sizes, I have heard the rumor that some go so far as to advertise those frame weights sans paint, something which couldn't be done once components have been added.

Your garage looks really clean, kinda scary in fact. I'm still learning about all the arcane esoterica when it comes to cycling, bikes components, etc. It's a bit like audiophile equipment in it's obsessiveness and expenditure. In so far as the merits of the Campagnolo components versus their proletariat level counterparts form other manufactures, I get it; Having worked as and taught professional photography for over 30 years I know there are Leica camera people and everyone else. I recall there was a daytime soap years ago called "Another World".

jaygeephoto said:
Your garage looks really clean, kinda scary in fact.  I'm still learning about all the arcane esoterica when it comes to cycling, bikes components, etc.  It's a bit like audiophile equipment in it's obsessiveness and expenditure.  In so far as the  merits of the Campagnolo components versus their proletariat level counterparts form other manufactures, I get it; Having worked as and taught professional photography for over 30 years I know there are Leica camera people and everyone else.  I recall there was a daytime soap years ago called "Another World".
Campagnolo has a history behind them, close to a Century, and always in the high end market of today and of yesterday,

vspa said:
Campagnolo has a history behind them, close to a Century, and always in the high end market of today and of yesterday,
Maybe a bit more expensive in days past, but in days past they also had their own tech support at some races.
campag-bus.jpeg
FYI, the large acrylic dome is there because the Campy van was also one of the official Vatican observatories, and it housed a beautiful 50cm Ritchey-Chrétien telescope.

Reactions: hullhull10
"Campagnolo has a history behind them, close to a Century, and always in the high end market of today and of yesterday,"

True that!

And yet, Campy has always assisted the poor and downtrodden with economic and functional groupsets such as Valentino, Gran Sport (the second coming), Victory, Triompe and Athena.

Hell, I saw a Sterno bum the other day that was begging for money to buy the new Athena EPS 11 group for his Huffy. Wasn't even pitching the money going toward booze or back child support. I slipped him a Jackson...looked like he was a good climber back in the day!

God, I love Italians! Can we get a photo of a Fiat 500 with either a Pinarello Dogma2 Campagnolo EPS or a Colnago C59 Italia Campagnolo Super Record EPS on top of it? The point being getting a bike that's worth more than the car it's riding atop of. Again, just like the domed Chevy van, circa 1976? Not to go too far afield (like that ever happens here), Konica made a camera that you could put Leica lenses on. Never got that one either.

jaygeephoto said:
God, I love Italians!  Can we get a photo of a Fiat 500 with either a Pinarello Dogma2 Campagnolo EPS or a Colnago C59 Italia Campagnolo Super Record EPS on top of it?  The point being getting a bike that's worth more than the car it's riding atop of. Again, just like the domed Chevy van, circa 1976?  Not to go too far afield (like that ever happens here), Konica made a camera that you could put Leica lenses on. Never got that one either.
Who cares if a bike costs more than a car? You do know that cars come in a large range of prices, right? There are also these things called "used cars." You should also note that it's dead simple to buy a bike that costs less than a car. In fact, that's the case for most bikes. It's also dead simple to not be so judgmental about such things. I really don't care what some else rides. I definitely don't wonder about how much someone's bike cost with respect to their car. I've got better things to do, like riding. Why would a person want to put a Leica lens on a Konica? Because it's possible the Leica lens had superior imaging properties. It's a pretty simple idea, really. Oh, and the Konica body was likely much less expensive than a Leica body.

No doubt about it. If you like Campy's stuff or another brand's components and you enjoy the way they look and feel on your bike you'll be happy. Sometimes it's not a case of measurable performance but more about the building process. "It's the journey not the destination" kinda touchy-feely ****. Perhaps it's just about the teasing and banter we all seem to enjoy. It would be cool though to have two bikes; one "stock" and one upgraded and have some comparison data and rider impressions. Car magazines do this semi-regularly with say a stock Corvette and one they hand over to a performance shop such as Lingenfelter.

Any chance we can ever set up Tractor vs cyclist pull on one of those be-shitted Amish fields? Any engineers here who could do some quick calc's. to figure out how many cyclist we would need to make it a go? I hear Myth Busters is running out of material.

Love the 'Abarth under Felt' - sounds like something one would order in an Albanian restaurant. The suction cup mounts are a leap of faith for me - yes I know how efficient vacuum cups are but I take a more "belt and suspenders" kind of approach to rack mounts.

http://www.carbonconnection.com/bike-rack-by-sea-sucker-vacuum-mount-rear-wheel-strap-suction-cup/
http://www.seasucker.com/

Originally Posted by alienator .

If you don't post a picture of the bike you actually own, it doesn't count. No see bikey, bikey no exist.

OK. I picked up my new Supersix 4 SRAM Rival yesterday. I rode it yesterday and today. Great bike! I said I would post pictures, so here they are.