Upgrading Newish Bikes...... Why??

Al R 1955

Dec 4, 2005
Hi Bikers
I have been reading through some "threads" & find it hard to fathom why so many of "us" wish to change their set ups,usually with upgraded components on almost new bikes. Why not research better & just buy the dearer bike with the goodies on it in the first place?
Happy Riding.

I suppose it's a little bit like when a person buys a new computer.
Two months later after a purchase some new technoligy comes out that can increase the performance.
People like to tweak what ever they can to obtain some advantage etc..
Sorta like a firmware upgrade :)

a lot of people secretly believe that the latest new thingy will make them 5kmh faster :p

Not sure what sort of components you're referring to, but if it's contact points (saddle, handlebars, stem, pedals), then by all means people can and should upgrade if they want to. In some cases, even swapping the seatpost, cranks, and/or gearing is warranted. A bike shop can only do so much to get the right fit on a trainer on the sales floor. It takes some time on the road to figure out what really works.

Then again, some of us are just a bit crazy about these bicycle things and like to garnish them with gifts for no particular reason other than self-indulgence.

Al R 1955 said:
Hi Bikers
I have been reading through some "threads" & find it hard to fathom why so many of "us" wish to change their set ups...Rest of quote deleted

Sometimes some components on the standard bike are not that good, for example, the Michelin Dynamic tyres on my Giant TCR2. When I get some use out of them, I would definitely get better training tyres.

Other components I would leave alone until they wear out. Unfortunately in today's changing market, getting a replacement cassette in the size you want for your old 9 speed may become difficult, and bang you are up for a whole new 10 speed groupset if you have a decent frame and other components that you want to keep.

James

gclark8 said:
Conti GP4000s, they did! :D
jee, they're getting good raps -- I'll have to try some. I bought a Vredestein SuperLite yesterday, but I haven't tried it yet.

Because manufacturers build to "price points" - like "less than $1000", they maximize profits by cheapening the bike with inferior components. Most purchasers of bicycles will not tolerate being gouged by the LBS when they try to upgrade by trading up, so they endure until the components they really don't want wear out.

Buying a frame and then building a bike with your own components costs several hundreds of dollars more than buying the frame hung with ****. If you replace the **** right away, you will take still another hit and you will not get even, much less ahead.

If you can find a bike with the components you want, you will likely pay through the nose. IMHO that is the only choice. But drive a hard bargain.

Another option is to buy a component set as offered by Colorado Cyclist. If you buy one of their frames you get the best deal.

I think the next time I might by a bike bit by bit and get the components I want rather than buying something off the shelf and then swapping out the bits which are either usually generic or low end models (eg stem, handlebar, rims, saddle etc).
I can sort of understand why some people do it; I don't think it's necessarily because they think the newer compnent will make them better. Sometimes I think it's just lavishing something new on your little baby which makes you feel good. It's like car enthusiast friends of mine. I could never understand why they wanted certain rims, spoilers, body kits etc. Sometimes it was for the bling but for others it just made them feel good to spoil their pride and joy.

531Aussie said:
jee, they're getting good raps -- I'll have to try some. I bought a Vredestein SuperLite yesterday, but I haven't tried it yet.
Yeah the Conti GP4000s are going to be my next tyres.

Good decision Thomas.

On the buy and build bit by bit. So long as you get decent discounts you can build a nice bike. I just did that with my TRY-bike. The full parts list is available, with prices, to anyone who asks. :)

the dude has gone...

i upgrade cause it is fun... personalise it is part of ownership

you couldn't call tyres an upgrade....

gclark8 said:
On the buy and build bit by bit. So long as you get decent discounts you can build a nice bike. I just did that with my TRY-bike. The full parts list is available, with prices, to anyone who asks. :)
Please tell George, this could be a new thread though. I also have a tri bike which is light and fun on the flat, bit too upright for easy climbing though.

jamesc said:
Sometimes some components on the standard bike are not that good, for example, the Michelin Dynamic tyres on my Giant TCR2. When I get some use out of them, I would definitely get better training tyres.

Other components I would leave alone until they wear out. Unfortunately in today's changing market, getting a replacement cassette in the size you want for your old 9 speed may become difficult, and bang you are up for a whole new 10 speed groupset if you have a decent frame and other components that you want to keep.

James
Your comment re tyres is quite wright, I do not consider them as upgrades per say. When you buy eg 105 drive train to replace a baseline TruVativ or Tiagra setup on a newly purchased bike when you could probably have bought the next level model with 105 for an extra $500 AU. That bike would possibly have better brakes, bars, wheels etc or lighter frame.

Al R

gclark8 said:
Conti GP4000s, they did! :D

( would be surprised if you did not reply )

By the way, what do you pay for your "favorite rubber"
Which tubes do you use, as you appear to have a lot of time to investigate the best of the best.
Al R

gclark8 said:
Good decision Thomas.

Thomas,
I received you e-mail OK, but the reply did not work. Please PM me a new address, thanks, G