Upgrading Time - Drivetrain questions

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by William O'Hara, Aug 28, 2005.

  1. What should I get?
    I've worn out my chain and the gears after 3600
    miles. So I figure that it is time to think about
    things. My knee had a lot of pain before and I
    took a respite.

    I usually spin 100-120 RPM on flats for the
    past month. 90 RPM on some hills. These
    are usually in my middle chainring and one
    of the gears in my middle area of my cassette.

    For the end of ride sprint I did 145 RPM for
    a bit at the peak and I did about 27 mph. This
    was in the middle area of the cassette and the
    large chainring.

    The cassette is 12-25 something. The chainrings
    are 52/42/30. I was wondering if I should go
    to an ultegra standard double. I really don't
    use the little ring unless I am in some of these
    hills. One of them is the hill out of my house
    and another one is on the Sunday ride.

    Otherwise I am in the 42 with something in the
    middle of the cassette. I will bring it down
    to the 12 to try to catch a break or something.
    During the sprint I went down to the 12 and then
    shifted back up and went to the large chainring.

    Thoughts from anyone?

    best wishes
    bill

    --
    ---
    William O'Hara

    Tags:

  2. Ravi

    Ravi Guest

    William O'Hara wrote:
    > What should I get?
    > I've worn out my chain and the gears after 3600
    > miles. So I figure that it is time to think about

    3600 miles for gears is too less. are you sure you have only 3600 miles
    on the cassette ?

    > are 52/42/30. I was wondering if I should go
    > to an ultegra standard double. I really don't
    >
    > use the little ring unless I am in some of these
    > hills. One of them is the hill out of my house
    > and another one is on the Sunday ride.

    if you go to a double, you would most probably be a 53/39.

    You could profile yourself and find out the gears you use in
    inches(gain) - using http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/ and see if you
    can achieve the same with a 53/39 as well.

    your final sprint may be faster with a 53 in the front ! and your climbs
    with a 39 tooth would be much better.

    +ravi

  3. "William O'Hara" wrote:
    > I've worn out my chain and the gears after 3600
    > miles. So I figure that it is time to think about
    > things.

    I doubt your cassette is worn after 3600 miles. What are the symptoms? The
    chainrings are almost certainly still good. You probably need a new chain.

    Art Harris

  4. William O'Hara wrote:

    > For the end of ride sprint I did 145 RPM for
    > a bit at the peak and I did about 27 mph. This
    > was in the middle area of the cassette and the
    > large chainring.

    52x17 is your big chainring and middle cog. 145 rpm gets you 35 mph.
    115 rpm gets you 28 mph.

    > The cassette is 12-25 something. The chainrings
    > are 52/42/30. I was wondering if I should go
    > to an ultegra standard double. I really don't
    > use the little ring unless I am in some of these
    > hills. One of them is the hill out of my house
    > and another one is on the Sunday ride.

    Sounds like you need the triple to get up the hills you ride. Your
    current low gear of 30x25 is 32 gear inches. To duplicate this with a
    double crankset you would need a 39x32 gear. This means buying a
    double crankset with 53x39 chainrings and putting a mountain bike
    cassette such as 11-32 on the back. Then you have great big jumps
    between every gear. OK for mountain biking, not really ideal for road
    riding. It will work but why sacrifice the close gears you have
    already with a triple and 12-25 cassette to get the same thing with a
    new double and new cassette?

    > Otherwise I am in the 42 with something in the
    > middle of the cassette. I will bring it down
    > to the 12 to try to catch a break or something.
    > During the sprint I went down to the 12 and then
    > shifted back up and went to the large chainring.

    Use the 42 chainring. I have it on my triple. AND on my double
    crankset. The guys I ride with use a 42 ring on their doubles too. I
    can spin my 42x13 to about 30 mph if I need too. Ideally I would be in
    the big chainring if I thought speeds like that are going to be
    necessary, but using the 42 chainring will allow you to close a gap
    quickly if need be.

    It sounds like you need a triple crankset for the terrain you ride.
    And you have one. Don't change anything.

  5. "Arthur Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "William O'Hara" wrote:
    >> I've worn out my chain and the gears after 3600
    >> miles. So I figure that it is time to think about
    >> things.

    > I doubt your cassette is worn after 3600 miles. What are the symptoms?
    > The chainrings are almost certainly still good. You probably need a
    > new chain.

    I was thinking the same thing. The chain was horrible. The strech was
    really bad. I have a new chain on it right now.

    It drops off the middle chainring and falls right off the small
    chainring. It makes the sound garash... It makes a horrible
    sound when I go up a hill with a lot of load. Shifting doesn't
    have the same feel at all.

    Everyone could hear me on the club ride. I was not well liked. :(

    bill

    ---
    William O'Hara

  6. [email protected] wrote in news:1125262990.477607.74640
    @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > William O'Hara wrote:
    >
    >> For the end of ride sprint I did 145 RPM for
    >> a bit at the peak and I did about 27 mph. This
    >> was in the middle area of the cassette and the
    >> large chainring.

    > 52x17 is your big chainring and middle cog. 145 rpm gets you 35 mph.
    > 115 rpm gets you 28 mph.

    Yeah.. 145 was more like the momentary peak. I get
    flack from some of the older racers in the club that
    know their stuff. I have been offered a lot of advice
    in the past that has panned out well, but I have not
    slowed the cadence down.
    > riding. It will work but why sacrifice the close gears you have
    > already with a triple and 12-25 cassette to get the same thing with a
    > new double and new cassette?

    I was fooling around with with S. Brown's website.
    I was almost thinking of making a custom cassette.
    The 32 is bit big. I don't think it would fit my
    current rear derailer. At least I can figure it
    would be tough to fit the rear cog thingie.

    Most of the nuts that I ride with whom are fast with
    a triple(few) or ride a double(most). I've noticed
    that they have less chain problems than I...
    I definitely know that I should stick with my 42.
    After thinking about it, it sounds crazy to leave it.

    > crankset. The guys I ride with use a 42 ring on their doubles too. I
    > can spin my 42x13 to about 30 mph if I need too. Ideally I would be in
    > the big chainring if I thought speeds like that are going to be

    Bil

  7. On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 17:00:26 -0500, "William O'Hara" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I was thinking the same thing. The chain was horrible. The strech was
    >really bad. I have a new chain on it right now.
    >
    >It drops off the middle chainring and falls right off the small
    >chainring. It makes the sound garash... It makes a horrible
    >sound when I go up a hill with a lot of load. Shifting doesn't
    >have the same feel at all.

    Okay, then it sounds like your worn chain did in fact trash your cassette
    and probably the chainrings.

    Jasper

  8. >>chainring. It makes the sound garash... It makes a horrible
    >>sound when I go up a hill with a lot of load. Shifting doesn't
    >>have the same feel at all.

    > Okay, then it sounds like your worn chain did in fact trash your

    cassette
    > and probably the chainrings.

    I should have got more than 3600 out of them. I really
    was wondering about it. Club riding buddy said that wasn't
    bad...However family says else. ;)

    I was just looking at Shimano's website. I was using tiagara
    prior. I can't get 105 in 172.5 with the triple. They only
    offer 105 @ 172.5 in double. Why can't they offer more packages
    instead of having to make me mix match things? lol

    Bill

    --
    ---
    William O'Hara

  9. Hank Wirtz

    Hank Wirtz Guest

    "William O'Hara" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > What should I get?
    > I've worn out my chain and the gears after 3600
    > miles. So I figure that it is time to think about
    > things. My knee had a lot of pain before and I
    > took a respite.

    If you've had knee problems, I'd definitely keep the triple. Even if you
    only need the granny occasionally, it's better to use it when you need it
    and feel like a wimp than to try to be a hero and blow out your knee.

    Just my 2c.

  10. Art Harris

    Art Harris Guest

    William O'Hara wrote:

    > I should have got more than 3600 out of them. I really was wondering about it.

    Put on a new chain. If the new chain skips on the rear cogs, you need a
    new cassette; it it doesn't skip, your cassette is ok. The chainrings
    are definitely ok.

    Art Harris

  11. William O'Hara wrote:

    > I was thinking the same thing. The chain was horrible. The strech was
    > really bad. I have a new chain on it right now.
    >
    > It drops off the middle chainring and falls right off the small
    > chainring. It makes the sound garash... It makes a horrible
    > sound when I go up a hill with a lot of load. Shifting doesn't
    > have the same feel at all.
    >
    > Everyone could hear me on the club ride. I was not well liked. :(
    >
    > bill
    >

    > ---
    > William O'Hara

    You need a der adjust, front and back,and maybe a chainwatcher, not a
    new drivetrain.

  12. >> I should have got more than 3600 out of them. I really was wondering
    > Put on a new chain. If the new chain skips on the rear cogs, you need
    > a new cassette; it it doesn't skip, your cassette is ok. The
    > chainrings are definitely ok.

    I did 50 miles with the new chain on Sunday. Doesn't
    skip in the back. It drops from middle chainring under
    high torque. It also has shifted horrible. Some
    adjustments prior to ride on Friday were made and
    they didn't help much at all.

    At this point I'm thinking that I will get a 12-26 or 12-27
    cassette, if the store has it and stick with the triple
    chainrings on order.

    --
    ---
    William O'Hara

  13. On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 17:35:47 -0500, "William O'Hara" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I did 50 miles with the new chain on Sunday. Doesn't
    >skip in the back. It drops from middle chainring under
    >high torque. It also has shifted horrible. Some
    >adjustments prior to ride on Friday were made and
    >they didn't help much at all.

    That's just weird. Dropping from the middle chainring is not really
    something that can be ascribed to running with a worn chain, especially
    since the cassette skipping -- which it doesn't -- is generally the first
    thing that's affected (and my apologies for the earlier misdiagnosis). I
    think you may have bumped into the front derailer while changing the
    chain, changing the alignment in a non-obvious way. I'd say take it to the
    shop.

    Jasper

  14. > That's just weird. Dropping from the middle chainring is not really
    > something that can be ascribed to running with a worn chain,
    > especially since the cassette skipping -- which it doesn't -- is
    > generally the first thing that's affected (and my apologies for the
    > earlier misdiagnosis). I think you may have bumped into the front
    > derailer while changing the chain, changing the alignment in a
    > non-obvious way. I'd say take it to the shop.

    Going tomorrow.. I hope anyways.. Now
    the season is almost over.

    --
    ---