Upgrading to indexed gear shifter

GaussIain

Dec 17, 2005
Hi,

I'm new here and wondered if I might get some opinions on a possible project.

I have a Dawes Galaxy that I purchased in 1985, which fell out of use for many years and stayed in my garage. Then this year, I decided, on moving to a nearer office, to start cycling in to work again instead of the car. The effect on my health and vitality has been dramatic, and I lost 3 stone in weight as a result (I was pretty gross before). When the winter came on, I decided I'd like to get a newer bike with cantilever brakes for cycling in the wet, and bought myself a hybrid (Raleigh Metro) for use in the winter.

I really like the new bike, which is very comfortable to ride and almost as light as the Dawes. But what surprised me was that I found I was getting around more quickly on the new bike than the Dawes, despite the straight handlebars and upright riding position. What I put it down to was the ease of use of the indexed gear shifters on the Raleigh (21 speed with indexed shifters on the handlebars). The Dawes of 1985 has a 12 speed Suntour derailleur with non-indexed shifters on the down tube. I think that this means that I use the gears more often on the new bike as it's more awkward to bend down to change them on the down tube (guess I'm a lazy so and so!)

But I still enjoy riding the Dawes, and find that the dropped handlebar position is more fun. What I'm wondering is whether it's at all possible to contemplate upgrading the gear shifters on the Dawes. What would be involved? Can one just get gear shifters that fit on the brake handles and use the same derailleurs and gears, or does the whole lot have to be changed. What kind of costs would be involved, and is this something one can tackle oneself, or would it be better to get a bike shop to carry out the work?

Thanks,
Iain

You pretty much would have to change everything on the drive train to match the new index system. You would probably end up with an 8 speed system, so you would have to change: FD, RD, Crank, Chain and the cabling. There are some good deals on the 8 speed stuff if you look around.

GaussIain said:
Hi,

I'm new here and wondered if I might get some opinions on a possible project.

I have a Dawes Galaxy that I purchased in 1985, which fell out of use for many years and stayed in my garage. Then this year, I decided, on moving to a nearer office, to start cycling in to work again instead of the car. The effect on my health and vitality has been dramatic, and I lost 3 stone in weight as a result (I was pretty gross before). When the winter came on, I decided I'd like to get a newer bike with cantilever brakes for cycling in the wet, and bought myself a hybrid (Raleigh Metro) for use in the winter.

I really like the new bike, which is very comfortable to ride and almost as light as the Dawes. But what surprised me was that I found I was getting around more quickly on the new bike than the Dawes, despite the straight handlebars and upright riding position. What I put it down to was the ease of use of the indexed gear shifters on the Raleigh (21 speed with indexed shifters on the handlebars). The Dawes of 1985 has a 12 speed Suntour derailleur with non-indexed shifters on the down tube. I think that this means that I use the gears more often on the new bike as it's more awkward to bend down to change them on the down tube (guess I'm a lazy so and so!)

But I still enjoy riding the Dawes, and find that the dropped handlebar position is more fun. What I'm wondering is whether it's at all possible to contemplate upgrading the gear shifters on the Dawes. What would be involved? Can one just get gear shifters that fit on the brake handles and use the same derailleurs and gears, or does the whole lot have to be changed. What kind of costs would be involved, and is this something one can tackle oneself, or would it be better to get a bike shop to carry out the work?

Thanks,
Iain
Buckybux is mostly correct except that you would probably not need a new crankset and maybe not a new front derailleur, depending on what you do. I think the cheapest option to get indexing (without using downtube shifters) would be to switch to bar-end shifters. You could get rear indexing with the following (front shifting would still be friction):

1. Shimano compatible 7s freewheel (you probably have a threaded rear hub)
2. Shimano or SRAM 7/8s chain
3. Shimano 8s bar-end shifters (you will only use 7 of the 8) and cables/housing
4. Shimano rear derailleur (Sora, Tiagra or 105 would be fine)

You could do this for as low as $100-125 depending on the deals you could get.

To go with shifting integrated into the brake levers, you would be looking at a bit more money since integrated shifters are more expensive than bar-ends and you would likely need a new front derailleur since the front shifting would also then be indexed. You can get 7s Shimano Sora brake/lever shifters and Sora FD which might add about $100-125 to the above estimate.

Going with 8s or 9s would require a new rear wheel/cassette and the additional expense that involves.

Whether such an expense for an old bike is justified is a matter of personal judgement as new entry-level road bike can be had for not much more. Last spring, I updated a 1983 Trek road frame to a Campy Mirage/Veloce 9s drivetrain and it cost almost $600, but it was worth it to me as the old frame is nice hand-made steel frame in great condition with some sentimental value as well.

John M said:
Buckybux is mostly correct except that you would probably not need a new crankset and maybe not a new front derailleur, depending on what you do. I think the cheapest option to get indexing (without using downtube shifters) would be to switch to bar-end shifters. You could get rear indexing with the following (front shifting would still be friction):

1. Shimano compatible 7s freewheel (you probably have a threaded rear hub)
2. Shimano or SRAM 7/8s chain
3. Shimano 8s bar-end shifters (you will only use 7 of the 8) and cables/housing
4. Shimano rear derailleur (Sora, Tiagra or 105 would be fine)

You could do this for as low as $100-125 depending on the deals you could get.

To go with shifting integrated into the brake levers, you would be looking at a bit more money since integrated shifters are more expensive than bar-ends and you would likely need a new front derailleur since the front shifting would also then be indexed. You can get 7s Shimano Sora brake/lever shifters and Sora FD which might add about $100-125 to the above estimate.

Going with 8s or 9s would require a new rear wheel/cassette and the additional expense that involves.

Whether such an expense for an old bike is justified is a matter of personal judgement as new entry-level road bike can be had for not much more. Last spring, I updated a 1983 Trek road frame to a Campy Mirage/Veloce 9s drivetrain and it cost almost $600, but it was worth it to me as the old frame is nice hand-made steel frame in great condition with some sentimental value as well.
Thanks for the helpful information - it sounds like it's going to be pretty expensive - by the looks of it, I can probably get a second hand Dawes Galaxy with indexed shifters on eBay for much the same price if I'm lucky. Just, (I guess) I'm attached to the Dawes I already have - when I first bought it in 1985 it was way more expensive than I could really afford, but having test-ridden two standard racing models and the Dawes with its 531 frame there really was no competition & it still feels to me like there is this delightful feeling of precision about the steering. I guess there's sentimental value for me as well.

Iain

buckybux said:
You pretty much would have to change everything on the drive train to match the new index system. You would probably end up with an 8 speed system, so you would have to change: FD, RD, Crank, Chain and the cabling. There are some good deals on the 8 speed stuff if you look around.

if the geometry of the frame , particularly the rear mech mount , are not compatible with the makers specs it may not work that well .

also you´ll need a new rear hub or wheel if you go the 8-speed route .