Upgrading

grindr82

Sep 4, 2011
Last year I purchased a Trek 7.2FX to commute to work. I would like to enter a new level of riding so I'd like to upgrade this spring. I'm considering upgrading to the 7.5 FX with Disc brakes.....or should I consider going with a specialized hybrid? I suppose the two are pretty comparable, I just want the most for my $......any advice, warnings, suggestions?

FWIW. If you don't ride in the rain, then disc brakes probably won't be a benefit.

If you don't think you can currently ride as fast as you want to ride, the problem is possibly aerodynamics AND you need to,consider changing the Flat bars to Drop bars ([COLOR= #808080]+ appropriate shifters/etc[/COLOR]) OR changing to a bike with Drop Bars ([COLOR= #808080]this presumes you are "comfortable" in the slightly lower riding position -- some people are not[/COLOR]) OR the "need" you feel may be most easily resolved by changing to a narrower tire ([COLOR= #808080]e.g., 700x28 if your current tires are larger[/COLOR]).

grindr82 said:
Last year I purchased a Trek 7.2FX to commute to work. I would like to enter a new level of riding so I'd like to upgrade this spring.
what do you have in mind for a new level of riding ? trading the F.2FX to the F.5FX is not a game changing situation (except for the price premium !), do you want to start riding during the weekends for long distances or on mountain trails ? please be more specific for better suggestions,

My intention is to use my car as little as possible. So I would be using my bicycle for anything and everything unless I have to use my car. My hybrid is nice but I wanted something a little bit lighter and more versatile.

ok i see the point and i understand your will to improve on what you have, well if you have those 500 usd. extra why not then, you will get disc brakes and 9 speeds and better components, by all means install a rear rack and panniers (panniers go in and out very easily, they are bags to carry your stuff) inside the panniers you need to carry, at all times, a U-LOCK (it is a super lock, difficult to violate) and replacement tubs and tire levers, and a HEX wrench, the rest of the space in the panniers is where you carry your laptop, or whatever you need for work, you need a red flashing light that goes in and out your pants or your rear rack, or your seatpost, and a helmet, mudguards or fender would be optional, depends on the climate on your area and your willingness to bike in the rain,

I decided to go with a Cannondale CAADX 6 Tiagra. It's a nice smooth ride. Well worth the $$. Thanks for the suggestions