uphill cadence

vspa

Jan 11, 2009
what kind of numbers was doing Armstrong on his prime days ?
anyone knows exact or close numbers

It all depended on what was happening. Fast tempo pace, going fast enough to start shelling most out of the back was done at high rpm - 90+

If it was 'money time' and one of the classic attacks like sestriere, alpe dhuez and Luz ardiden the it was big gear and out of the saddle at 75rpm-ish.

There's a bunch of YouTube videos for those stages.

Froze said:
100 to 110 rpm while climbing.

Impressive, LA always looked good attacking or closing down a gap.

wired.com said:
On long climbs, Armstrong pedals a hummingbird-like 100 to 110 rpm while his rivals tend to slow to about 70 rpm. This quick cadence lets Armstrong play to his cardiovascular strength rather than rely on muscle power.
:confused:

steve said:
Impressive, LA always looked good attacking or closing down a gap.

:confused:

Yeah, people do seem to confuse the issue of what's going on with climbing at a slower cadence. For some reason they forget that climbing at 400+ watts is a very aerobic activity unless you're a mere peon like us... in which case there's also a sizeable anaerobic component too!

Back in 2003, Armstrong was said to be climbing 40 minute cols at the end of the dauphine stages at a few watts shy of 500. Personally, even when fresh I'd go bang in a big way in about 2 minutes at that power level. Lol

swampy1970 said:
It all depended on what was happening. Fast tempo pace, going fast enough to start shelling most out of the back was done at high rpm - 90+

If it was 'money time' and one of the classic attacks like sestriere, alpe dhuez and Luz ardiden the it was big gear and out of the saddle at 75rpm-ish.

Shows him both in the seat and out of the seat, the guy with the slower cadence won the day :cool:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXPXHK7I1iQ]YouTube - Lance Armstrong attack on Mt. Ventoux 2000 Tour de France[/ame]

Some sections he's pedaling below 80 RPM, others around 95, probably higher again when he attacked the JA group.

steve said:
Shows him both in the seat and out of the seat, the guy with the slower cadence won the day :cool:

YouTube - Lance Armstrong attack on Mt. Ventoux 2000 Tour de France

Some sections he's pedaling below 80 RPM, others around 95, probably higher again when he attacked the JA group.

I think that was the infamous 'gift' day. Lance kinda intimated to the press that he let Pantani win. Pantani was a bit 'displeased' with this and being called Elifantino by Armstrong and made a day of it on the big day in the Alps - finishing with the Joux Plane. He intended to crush Armstrong but cracked and failed miserably. He abandoned and never rode the Tour again...

i would say 90 to 100 rpm. considering everyone else are doing 75 to 80 or 85
110 would be for TT.

vspa said:
i would say 90 to 100 rpm. considering everyone else are doing 75 to 80 or 85
110 would be for TT.

You could say that... but if you actually watched the videos and worked out what the rpm you'd find otherwise. ;)

The only big victory he had in the mountains where he put significant time into his rivals with a very high rpm was the alpe dhuez time trial. The big attacks at the end of long stages were much lower rpm with a lot of out of the saddle work.

well lets define better where to measure it, i was thinking of his cruising climbing speed, after (or even while like in Sestrieres) dropping everyone else, on the final climb of the day to the finish.
between 85 and 95 ? 90 is already a lot ! 75 is Ullrich like,
what would you say ?