Uphill time trial position

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Keven Ruf, May 9, 2003.

  1. Keven Ruf

    Keven Ruf Guest

    The Mt Hood Cycling Classic has a 13 mile out and back time trial that gains 740 feet over the first
    half. This is a pretty gradual ascent, I think it's an old railroad grade along the Columbia River.

    Should the aero bars be in a slightly different position to enhance the use of the arms while
    climbing? I am wondering if having them tilted upward a bit and having my hands closer to my chin as
    opposed to more stretched out would make for better leverage. Would this be of any benefit for the
    first half of the race?

    --Keven.

    Tags:

  2. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "Keven Ruf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The Mt Hood Cycling Classic has a 13 mile out and back time trial that gains 740 feet over the
    > first half. This is a pretty gradual ascent, I think it's an old railroad grade along the
    > Columbia River.
    >
    > Should the aero bars be in a slightly different position to enhance the use of the arms while
    > climbing? I am wondering if having them tilted upward a bit and having my hands closer to my chin
    > as opposed to more stretched out would make for better leverage. Would this be of any benefit for
    > the first half of the race?

    That doesn't sound like enough of an elevation gain to me to justify changing your position, i.e.,
    aerodynamics will still rule (esp. on the way back). Of course, that depends on how accustomed you
    are to your TT position - if you just follow the common "slap on the aero bars and ride" approach,
    then it probably doesn't really matter how you position them for this event.

    Andy Coggan

  3. Keven Ruf

    Keven Ruf Guest

    "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:

    > That doesn't sound like enough of an elevation gain to me to justify changing your position, i.e.,
    > aerodynamics will still rule (esp. on the way back). Of course, that depends on how accustomed you
    > are to your TT position - if you just follow the common "slap on the aero bars and ride" approach,
    > then it probably doesn't really matter how you position them for this event.
    >
    > Andy Coggan

    Thanks-- based on that I'll do the usual and make sure I'm comfortable.

    --Keven.

  4. Suz

    Suz Guest

    Hey, good question. I'm doing this one too, should I use my TT bike? It doesn't climb quite as well
    as my Trek 5200 but will probably be faster on the descent, and I guess if it's a gradual ascent, I
    'll stay seated anyway. Okay, so I just answered my own question. But what about a disc wheel? So
    far have done only one race on the TT bike, and it was fairly flat (btw, the TT bike made a big
    difference :)

    Suz

    "Keven Ruf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The Mt Hood Cycling Classic has a 13 mile out and back time trial that gains 740 feet over the
    > first half. This is a pretty gradual ascent, I think it's an old railroad grade along the
    > Columbia River.
    >
    > Should the aero bars be in a slightly different position to enhance the use of the arms while
    > climbing? I am wondering if having them tilted upward a bit and having my hands closer to my chin
    > as opposed to more stretched out would make for better leverage. Would this be of any benefit for
    > the first half of the race?
    >
    > --Keven.

  5. John Kaiser

    John Kaiser Guest

    "Suz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hey, good question. I'm doing this one too, should I use my TT bike? It doesn't climb quite as
    > well as my Trek 5200 but will probably be faster on the descent, and I guess if it's a gradual
    > ascent, I 'll stay seated anyway. Okay, so I just answered my own question. But what about a disc
    > wheel? So far have done only one race on the TT bike, and it was fairly flat (btw, the TT bike
    > made a big difference :)
    >
    > Suz
    >
    > "Keven Ruf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > The Mt Hood Cycling Classic has a 13 mile out and back time trial that gains 740 feet over the
    > > first half. This is a pretty gradual ascent, I think it's an old railroad grade along the
    > > Columbia River.
    > >
    > > Should the aero bars be in a slightly different position to enhance the use of the arms while
    > > climbing? I am wondering if having them tilted upward a bit and having my hands closer to my
    > > chin as opposed to more stretched out would make for better leverage. Would this be of any
    > > benefit for the first half of the race?
    > >
    > > --Keven.

    Yer, good question Keven. Plug and Pray is my strategy. Hope they stay on. But seriously, I have to
    say that tweaking the bars and the seat constantly for different races is a bit a pain. Maybe I can
    get a cheap time trial bike from some triathlete...I haven't bought a new bike this season.