Uphill & wind

Scott'sTrek1000

Jul 28, 2004
Is it just me or does everybody notice the slightest uphill and wind when they ride. It seems like it really affects my speed when going up even a slight uphill or against a bit of a breeze. After riding in it, my body adjusts...but I can really feel the difference at first. Maybe I'm just a wimp?

Scott'sTrek1000 said:
Is it just me or does everybody notice the slightest uphill and wind when they ride. It seems like it really affects my speed when going up even a slight uphill or against a bit of a breeze. After riding in it, my body adjusts...but I can really feel the difference at first. Maybe I'm just a wimp?

Im training for a mountain TT, few days ago i did the route and lost 4 minutes off my last time due to a head wind. the wind going uphill realy does make more resistance!! don't feel bad.

Scott'sTrek1000 said:

Can't answer your question, but there is a significant difference in power to go 15 mph on a level vs 15 mph on a 1% grade. Something like 60 extra watts is required...about a 50% increase in power vs level ground.

A 5 mph headwind has about the same impact, but that's why a 5 mph tailwind feels so good.

dhk said:
Can't answer your question, but there is a significant difference in power to go 15 mph on a level vs 15 mph on a 1% grade. Something like 60 extra watts is required...about a 50% increase in power vs level ground.

A 5 mph headwind has about the same impact, but that's why a 5 mph tailwind feels so good.
I sure would like to have a power meter, but man they are 3k!!!

I don't think it's 50% increase on just a 1% grade...that seems high..unless the rider is 400lb.

mattp71 said:

I don't think it's 50% increase on just a 1% grade...that seems high..unless the rider is 400lb.

You can get a power tap power meter for inder $1,200.

zaskar said:
You can get a power tap power meter for inder $1,200.

If you use a cheap old heart monitor and are very familiar with your route, it's not too bad either. I've never used a power meter, but a HR meter sure beats the hell out of nothing. I just put a new battery in an old one I have. I've been using it for a few days. It's a great improvement. I realize there's that time delay between when power output increases or decreases and when you see it register on the hr monitor, but if you are very familiar with the route, you can roughly adjust your speed before this happens.

I want a power meter, but it would be nice if they were more in the $200 range. I wonder how long those things last before they wear out?

No idea, but I did see some places that "rebuild" srm's for $75. Too me I think watt output is rediculous. Whenever someone attacks on a climb, and you can't go, does not mean your not strong. You can squat 1000lb, but if you don't have lungs and heart (cardiovascular system) to pump it, your going to be the first guy out the back no matter how many watts you can make.

My HR monitor is not much more than a second behind actual..and that's good enough for me. It's rediculous that power meters cost as much as they do.

mattp71 said:

It does seem high, but believe the 60W is correct for a 200 lb rider and bike (91 kg) combo. Here's the math I used:

Vertical speed = 15 mph=22 fps=6.66 m/sec x 1% = .0666 m/sec

Power = Vvert x 91 kgf = 6.06 kgf-m/sec x 9.8 nt/kgf= 59.4 n-m/sec (W)

By this method, a 10% grade takes 600W to climb at 15 mph....definately Lance Armstrong territory. Of course, he and his bike only weigh about 175 pounds...gets him back to "only" 525 Watts required.

Scott'sTrek1000 said:
Road from Cape Henalopen DE, to Killen Pond sate park a few years back, 17 miles flat ground. Never got out of first gear, and it was FLAT. Had panniers (sails) front and back loaded about 50lbs (long ride), and was wearing a rain jacket. Took all day, it was a "stiff wind", the next day I did 106 miles and upon leaving DE, it was uphill the whole way. A 20+ headwind is tough to ride into. Rode for about 4 hrs that day, rested a bunch, I can walk as fast. May the wind always be at your back.
In answer to your question I do not think you are a wimp.

mattp71 said:
No idea, but I did see some places that "rebuild" srm's for $75. Too me I think watt output is rediculous. Whenever someone attacks on a climb, and you can't go, does not mean your not strong. You can squat 1000lb, but if you don't have lungs and heart (cardiovascular system) to pump it, your going to be the first guy out the back no matter how many watts you can make.

My HR monitor is not much more than a second behind actual..and that's good enough for me. It's rediculous that power meters cost as much as they do.

i agree,the cost of bike equipment is rediculous!! my bike tires are half as much of my truck tires and wear 50 times quicker!