Upper Body Excercises

Peter

Guest
Hi,

I have been seriously riding for a little over a year now, and have lost
8.5st (117lbs) in weight.

My lower body looks good and firm, but my upper body needs a lot of work.

What do you people recommend for upper body work outs? Particularly chest and stomach firming. Is
there anything I can do while riding to help firm these areas up?

Thanks,

Peter.

Peter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been seriously riding for a little over a year now, and have lost
> 8.5st (117lbs) in weight.

Holy ****! Congrats - unless you weighed 9st in the first place, that
is... :)

> My lower body looks good and firm, but my upper body needs a lot of work.
>
> What do you people recommend for upper body work outs? Particularly chest and stomach firming. Is
> there anything I can do while riding to help firm these areas up?

Although good for cardio-vascular, aerobic and lower body systems, mountain biking doesn't really
give you a huge amount of work out on the upper body.

You have a couple of choices, IMO. Either you can do the gym thing (at home is fine) and start
working out with specific exercises targeting your upper body. Alternatively, find another sport (to
do in conjunction with mtbing) that is more upper body intensive. Swimming would be ideal. Or do a
combo of both.

--
j.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm

k.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Peter <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I have been seriously riding for a little over a year now, and have lost
> 8.5st (117lbs) in weight.
>
> My lower body looks good and firm, but my upper body needs a lot of work.
>
> What do you people recommend for upper body work outs? Particularly chest and stomach firming. Is
> there anything I can do while riding to help firm these areas up?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter.

Shaun aRe - no joking.

"Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I have been seriously riding for a little over a year now, and have lost
> 8.5st (117lbs) in weight.
>
> My lower body looks good and firm, but my upper body needs a lot of work.
>
> What do you people recommend for upper body work outs? Particularly chest and stomach firming. Is
> there anything I can do while riding to help firm these areas up?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter.

Any normal upper body stuff should work. Chest(bench), upper back(rows, pull-ups),
shoulders(presses), and then arms if you want(biceps/triceps-- anything really, arms aren't
necessary to work if you do the above compound exercises, they are actually a relatively small
muscle group--but many guys do anyway) and lower back and abs.

A.

Peter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been seriously riding for a little over a year now, and have lost
> 8.5st (117lbs) in weight.

Fantastic going.. You'll have to tell the world how you did it!! <Chuckle>

> My lower body looks good and firm, but my upper body needs a lot of work.
>
> What do you people recommend for upper body work outs? Particularly chest and stomach firming. Is
> there anything I can do while riding to help firm these areas up?

Well assuming you just want to tone-up and not want to put on new muscle I would recommend..

http://www.hooah4health.com/body/fitness/toning/default.htm

Pretty much the only equipment you need is a couple of 3kg (5 pound) dumbbells and maybe a
resistance strap.. Then you simply have to have the discapline to work up to and do the same
excercise daily forever.. Its worth it..But those stomach crunches can feel like hell until you get
used to them.. <Chuckle>

Good luck, althogh considering your already superb track record with the weight I think you'll find
toning a breaze...

Gyp

Shaun Rimmer wrote:

>>What do you people recommend for upper body work outs? Particularly chest and stomach firming. Is
>>there anything I can do while riding to help firm these areas up?

Yeah right. Like you work out your upper body by just lying flat on your back...

(Do I now have to start putting in 'THIS IS A JOKE' lines for those who've had a humour bypass?)

> Peter <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been seriously riding for a little over a year now, and have lost
> > 8.5st (117lbs) in weight.
> >
> > My lower body looks good and firm, but my upper body needs a lot of
work.

> > What do you people recommend for upper body work outs? Particularly
chest
> > and stomach firming. Is there anything I can do while riding to help
firm
> > these areas up?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Peter.
>

> Shaun aRe - no joking.

What rate would that be then Shaun, £20?

> Peter <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been seriously riding for a little over a year now, and have lost
> > 8.5st (117lbs) in weight.
> >
> > My lower body looks good and firm, but my upper body needs a lot of
work.

> > What do you people recommend for upper body work outs? Particularly
chest
> > and stomach firming. Is there anything I can do while riding to help
firm
> > these areas up?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Peter.
>

> Shaun aRe - no joking.

Well, that's my right arm sorted then ;-) I'm married.

Peter.

"Gyp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Peter wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been seriously riding for a little over a year now, and have lost
> > 8.5st (117lbs) in weight.
>
> Fantastic going.. You'll have to tell the world how you did it!! <Chuckle>

To be honest, the biggest factor was having breakfast every morning. It stopped me snacking through
the day. Also riding every chance I get. It's no longer exercise for me now, it's great fun and a
great way to get out and about.

> Well assuming you just want to tone-up and not want to put on new muscle I would recommend..
>
> http://www.hooah4health.com/body/fitness/toning/default.htm
>

> Pretty much the only equipment you need is a couple of 3kg (5 pound) dumbbells and maybe a
> resistance strap.. Then you simply have to have the discapline to work up to and do the same
> excercise daily forever.. Its worth it..But those stomach crunches can feel like hell until you
> get used to them.. <Chuckle>
>
> Good luck, althogh considering your already superb track record with the weight I think you'll
> find toning a breaze...
>
> Gyp

Thanks, I'll have a look. I already have a set of dumbbells at home.

Peter.

> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>
> >>What do you people recommend for upper body work outs? Particularly
chest
> >>and stomach firming. Is there anything I can do while riding to help
firm
> >>these areas up?
> >>

> But how do you work the bits apart from your right forearm?

Well, I find it totally unsurprising that you would need to ask.

Shaun aRe

> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>
> >>What do you people recommend for upper body work outs? Particularly
chest
> >>and stomach firming. Is there anything I can do while riding to help
firm
> >>these areas up?
> >>

> Yeah right. Like you work out your upper body by just lying flat on your back...

> (Do I now have to start putting in 'THIS IS A JOKE' lines for those who've had a humour bypass?)

Not unless you actually give a damn.

Shaun aRe - I think it was probably hormonal anyway. Bwaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha! >',;~}~

spademan o---[) * <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Peter <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have been seriously riding for a little over a year now, and have
lost
> > > 8.5st (117lbs) in weight.
> > >
> > > My lower body looks good and firm, but my upper body needs a lot of
> work.
> > >
> > > What do you people recommend for upper body work outs? Particularly
> chest
> > > and stomach firming. Is there anything I can do while riding to help
> firm
> > > these areas up?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Peter.
> >

> > Shaun aRe - no joking.
>
> What rate would that be then Shaun, £20?

Hell no - I don't _charge_ for it!

Shaun aRe - And no one's ever charged me for it either, which is nice.......

Peter <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > Peter <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have been seriously riding for a little over a year now, and have
lost
> > > 8.5st (117lbs) in weight.
> > >
> > > My lower body looks good and firm, but my upper body needs a lot of
> work.
> > >
> > > What do you people recommend for upper body work outs? Particularly
> chest
> > > and stomach firming. Is there anything I can do while riding to help
> firm
> > > these areas up?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Peter.
> >

> > Shaun aRe - no joking.
> >

> Well, that's my right arm sorted then ;-) I'm married.

Heheheheh - me too in 16 days, but I won't be taking up masturbation, or celibacy - she wouldn't let
me waste it.......

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 07:03:29 -0700, bomba wrote:

> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>
>>>What do you people recommend for upper body work outs? Particularly chest and stomach firming. Is
>>>there anything I can do while riding to help firm these areas up?
>>>

> But how do you work the bits apart from your right forearm?

<beavis>Huhuh, you said "work the bits"</b>

gabrielle

> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>
> >>What do you people recommend for upper body work outs? Particularly
chest
> >>and stomach firming. Is there anything I can do while riding to help
firm
> >>these areas up?
> >>

> Yeah right. Like you work out your upper body by just lying flat on your back...
>
> (Do I now have to start putting in 'THIS IS A JOKE' lines for those who've had a humour bypass?)

That's completely uncalled for and unacceptable, Jon.

(Blast away at Shaun all you want, but NEVER backpedal!!!)

Should be added to the FAQ.

Bill

< SNIP >

> > Well, that's my right arm sorted then ;-) I'm married.
>
> Heheheheh - me too in 16 days, but I won't be taking up masturbation, or celibacy - she wouldn't
> let me waste it.......

Congratulations!! Hope you have a great day and all goes well.

Peter.

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 06:02:07 -0700, Peter wrote:

> What do you people recommend for upper body work outs? Particularly chest and stomach firming. Is
> there anything I can do while riding to help firm these areas up?

While riding? I have a friend who used to do pushups in the flat areas while we were biking. Yes, I
mean pushups on his bike, while riding. Yes, I know I have strange friends.

For chest & stomach, IMO you can't beat kayaking. Whitewater will probably work faster than
flatwater, but has a higher penalty for FUs. If you continue to ride you will also avoid the problem
a lot of kayakers have of looking really attractive until you get out of your boat and we see your
spindly little legs. ;)

Yoga's great too...a couple of Chaturanga Dandasanas a day would fix ya right up.

gabrielle

Peter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been seriously riding for a little over a year now, and have lost
> 8.5st (117lbs) in weight.
>
> My lower body looks good and firm, but my upper body needs a lot of work.
>
> What do you people recommend for upper body work outs? Particularly chest and stomach firming. Is
> there anything I can do while riding to help firm these areas up?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter.

Lots of technical trails that require me to be out of the seat, but not standing. Really works the
upper body as I shift my weight (or, maybe I'm doing it wrong which is why I'm getting the great
upper body workout
:)).

David