Upper Body Strength

TransPhattyAcid

Mar 18, 2015
Hi All,

First a little background so you know where I'm coming from: I'm 42 and pretty out of shape from not training all winter. I don't race, but I do love to do century rides. I've done 2 over the last couple of years to raise money for something like Team In Training. I recently started trying to get back in shape so I started riding the stationary bike and started a yoga class to help with stability and upper body.

Here's the problem: I have weak shoulders and generally weak upper body strength. I'm currently overcoming a shoulder injury I got doing yoga. It's not a bad injury and it should be fine with some physical therapy and stretching, but what I'm wondering is, what do people do for upper body and core strength? What exercises or stretches can you recommend? I hurt myself doing something that I thought would help get me stronger (yoga) so wondering what has worked for you? Maybe it's just spending more time on the bike? Free weights? Are there any online resources or websites you could point me to? Now that it's warmer, I know I need to get out of the gym and get back on the bike, but any suggestions for upper body and shoulders would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Most people generally just ride the bike.

If you have specific issues that need addressing in the gym or doing floor exercises then it's not really going to hurt you on the bike. Same with core work - doing it won't hurt the bike riding and provides a change. The only way it will hurt your riding is if you do this instead of rather in addition too riding.

Since you have a shoulder injury, you should be mindful of how you sit on the bike. A good position on the bike will not require you to put a lot of weight on your hands. If you do find yourself with sore or numb hands, try moving your seat down and back a little or if it's already far back, try moving the bars down a bit. Play it by ear, if you're getting on in years and have an office job your lower back may not like that - then again you could solve that too with some core work.

Thanks. That's really helpful. I hadn't really thought about how I sit on the bike, but you're right about that. I think I'm going to go to a bike shop and get a proper setup, and then see how it goes on the bike. If my shoulder or hands start to bother me, then I'll try what you suggested either moving the seat or the bars.

I raced during the mid 80's to late 90's and thankfully had a really good coach. I wasn't setting the world on fire with my results but was a fairly good regional 1st Cat rider. When I started riding again in 2005, after gaining a lot of weight due to moving to the US, discovering micro-brews and BBQ, I had a couple of "bike fits" - they ranged from the typical bike shop on a trainer and pedal for a bit to the full on Specialized video analysis 3D hoo-haa deal. I really didn't have a lot of success with either position. Both were too high for my level of flexibility and gave me too short of a stem. In short I hated them both...

I would say that the Specialized bike fit may vary greatly from shop to shop. If you could get into one of their flagship stores you may have more success.

Personally, many of the things that I've worked through the past few years have been in alignment with what Steve Hogg believes:

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/

Bike fit isn't rocket science and getting a good ballpark fit is fairly easy using old school methods. A few things that have helped me have been:

Judge your bike size from the required top tube length rather than seat tube. I have a short body but long arms/legs - consequently my ape arms require lots of reach. Current sizing practice puts me on a 56 (some shops even said a 54) but a 58 works better. I can get the seat height and bar position I need and the front wheel is a bit further out front than on a 56 for better weight distribution.

Get the ballpark position first than then work from the feet up when you get to the small details. Cleat position front/back/side to side, do you need a shim etc etc... Do you have one leg that is shorter than the other (due to either being physically shorter or functionally shorter due to flexibility issues) - you need to try and figure out what side that is and by how much. I always get the side wrong. If it hurts on my right then it's always the left. I kid ye not. :p

Compact bars with a nice radius and shallow drop are great if you have hand/neck/shoulder issues. You get to vary hand position more. Set the position using the drops and set the brake lever position after that. A good position in the drops gives a more neutral hand position.

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/GET-A-GRIP.pdf

Steve also likes to sit riders back quite a way. His premise is that you should be able to ride without too much weight on the bars. There's plenty of good free reading on his website and with Prime membership, lots, lots more good stuff to read.

Awesome! Thanks. I have a Canondale Synapse Sora 7 that I had purchased from a bike shop that did a set-up on me when I bought it, so I'm pretty sure it's the right frame size. And interestingly enough, the handlebars that come on the synapse are closest to the bar number 5 in that article from Steve Hogg that he says are the best overall bar shape, so that's good.

I spent the 80's in high school in a small town in the midwest dreaming of bicycle racing one day. Then I got Leukemia my senior year of high school which pretty much knocked that dream out. I survived the cancer, but the treatment screwed up my hips. Bone loss and permanent pain. But when I turned 40 a couple of years ago I was like, screw this!!! I'm gonna ride my first century. I'm sick of feeling like a cripple. So I signed up for Team In Training in New York City and did my first century: Viva Bike Vegas. It was 120 miles in 115 degree heat. When I told my dad I was training for this, he said "120 miles in the desert?! Can't be done!" Well, I did it in 2012. I did physical therapy twice and week and trained like hell, but I was able to do it (just barely! Ha!)

Then I did the Montauk century in 2013, also for Team In Training. Last year I moved to Seattle, so the move / life prevented do any long bike tours, but I did little rides here and there of around 50 miles each.

But since last summer I haven't been riding at all, and the bike has a new seat, new pedals, etc so that's why I'm trying to get into shape now and want to get that setup again: So I can figure out what to tweak to get the least pain out of my hip. I know it's going to hurt. I just does. Always, but I want to make it the most comfortable so that when I do one of these 8-9hour rides it bothers me as little as possible. Thinking I'll do the Obliteride this year to raise money for cancer out here in Seattle. http://www.obliteride.org/

Maybe next year, if I'm strong enough, I'll do Seattle to Portland, but that's a seriously long ride for a guy with a screwed up hip. Never mind the shoulder, it's the hips! Ha! But I keep just pedaling along. Eventually I get there!

Thanks again for your advice!

If you want to increase your shoulder and upper body strength just because, then free weights can't hurt - after you've recovered from your minor injury. I'd recommend starting at fairly low weights and focusing on technique. You'll start building up more strength in no time, and then you can focus upon heavier weights while maintaining proper form. You don't have to get crazy or anything with weights to see some major improvements, thankfully.

Reactions: TransPhattyAcid
I've done some weight lifting in the past. If you saw my family you would notice that I naturally have a large frame and the ability to gain a lot of muscle. I was really surprised at how quick that can start to have an affect on your strength. I have never had an exercise regimen that worked as quickly.

Swimming, swimming and more swimming... will help you overcome your injury and not just build the muscles in your upper body but in your entire body. I can't recommend it enough. For me it's like a panacea for many ills. It helped me overcome years of chronic back pain, depression, digestive problems and so much more. Why not try out a swimming pool today? Or, if you're lucky enough to live near a lake/river/beach, why don't you have a go?

To increase overall upper body strength I would lift weights and swim. You can target a variety of different muscles that need strengthening in this manner. If you want to increase lower back strength, try deadlifting. It's a fantastic body exercise that will work all parts of your body (legs included) and I'm sure it will improve your biking experience. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for the advice. The PT I've been getting for the shoulder isn't helping, unfortunately. Not getting any worse, but not getting any better. Think I'm going start swimming again. I think it's probably the best exercise I can do at this point for getting back in shape and not putting undue stress on the shoulder. For me, in the past, swimming has always been the best, and seems like it's worked for others, too. It's just a little more inconvenient for me to get to than other gyms, but what can you can do? Gotta just commit to going during the week, then getting on the bike for longer rides during the weekend.

I'd recommend looking into functional strength exercises such as kettlebells or free weights instead of machines. Pull ups and push ups are also great for weak shoulders. Swimming could also help but it takes time for swimming to show any improvements.

TransPhattyAcid said:
Thanks everyone for the advice. The PT I've been getting for the shoulder isn't helping, unfortunately. Not getting any worse, but not getting any better. Think I'm going start swimming again. I think it's probably the best exercise I can do at this point for getting back in shape and not putting undue stress on the shoulder. For me, in the past, swimming has always been the best, and seems like it's worked for others, too. It's just a little more inconvenient for me to get to than other gyms, but what can you can do? Gotta just commit to going during the week, then getting on the bike for longer rides during the weekend.
I also have a bad shoulder. Just riding has improved my shoulder.

TransPhattyAcid said:
Ride more out of the saddle on the uphills. That'll give the arms all the work out they need.

Thanks everyone for the help. May is bike month out here in Seattle (or maybe everywhere?) and so I've just been getting on the bike and riding it back and forth to work everyday and amazingly I think you're right, An Old Guy. Just getting back on the bike regularly has helped the shoulders. Lots of hills out here in Seattle so I've standing up on those too and the shoulder feels better. Never thought just getting back on it would help so much.

I like to do a good mix of strength training exercises a few times a week. I ride moe mountain and trail then road so perhaps the skill set is a little bit different and you do use a little more upper body strength. Good friend of mine swears by plyos, says it gives him explosive strenghth. A lot of people swear by cross fit. I think any good training regiment should address upper and lower body strength as well as endurance and cardiovascular fitness.

I like to do a good mix of strength training exercises a few times a week. I ride moe mountain and trail then road so perhaps the skill set is a little bit different and you do use a little more upper body strength. Good friend of mine swears by plyos, says it gives him explosive strenghth. A lot of people swear by cross fit. I think any good training regiment should address upper and lower body strength as well as endurance and cardiovascular fitness.

[SIZE=10pt]For me, weight lifting has been an awesome and very effective way for me to gain upper body strength. I also do exercises like the wall [/SIZE][SIZE=13.3333330154419px]push-ups[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] where I stand at an angle, put my both hands on the wall and use my own body weight. That's how I started doing [/SIZE][SIZE=13.3333330154419px]push-ups[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] because I was so weak initially. Another way is doing "dips" it also only requires your own body weight. You may also want to do a plank for a sixty second period. I like to [/SIZE][SIZE=13.3333330154419px]fluctuate[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] between doing body weight and curls with weights. [/SIZE]