UPS friendly travel case recomendation??

Bill

Guest
Jan 1 of 2007 UPS ground changed their size restrictions. Now anything over
130", length + 2x height + 2x width, incurs a $45 surcharge and is also
subject to dimensional weight charges. Trico Iron Case OH to TX about
$116.00. Under the 130" is would have gone for about.$71. Any
recommendations on a case that will fit most road bikes 58 cm and under that
meets the requirement.
Bill

Bill wrote:
> Jan 1 of 2007 UPS ground changed their size restrictions. Now anything over
> 130", length + 2x height + 2x width, incurs a $45 surcharge and is also
> subject to dimensional weight charges. Trico Iron Case OH to TX about
> $116.00. Under the 130" is would have gone for about.$71. Any
> recommendations on a case that will fit most road bikes 58 cm and under that
> meets the requirement.

The Tri-All-Sports case is 128 inches and I believe the standard Trico
measures the same. There's always been a surcharge over 130 inches.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On May 2, 4:49 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bill wrote:
> > Jan 1 of 2007 UPS ground changed their size restrictions. Now anything over
> > 130", length + 2x height + 2x width, incurs a $45 surcharge and is also
> > subject to dimensional weight charges. Trico Iron Case OH to TX about
> > $116.00. Under the 130" is would have gone for about.$71. Any
> > recommendations on a case that will fit most road bikes 58 cm and under that
> > meets the requirement.

> The Tri-All-Sports case is 128 inches and I believe the standard Trico
> measures the same. There's always been a surcharge over 130 inches.
>
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Dear Andrew,

The discriminating traveller may prefer the oaken Dunbar case:

"A practicable folding crate for bicycles has been perfected by M. E.
Dunbar, of Stockbridge, Mass. It is made of oak, with hinged joints,
but with no separate or detachable parts. After the wheel is removed
from the crate, the diagonal braces which join at the top are
unlocked, allowing the entire framework to collapse and fold flat."

"Outing" magazine, 1897

http://www.aafla.org/SportsLibrary/Outing/Volume_30/outXXX01/outXXX01w.pdf

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On May 2, 6:49 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bill wrote:
> > Jan 1 of 2007 UPS ground changed their size restrictions. Now anything over
> > 130", length + 2x height + 2x width, incurs a $45 surcharge and is also
> > subject to dimensional weight charges. Trico Iron Case OH to TX about
> > $116.00. Under the 130" is would have gone for about.$71. Any
> > recommendations on a case that will fit most road bikes 58 cm and under that
> > meets the requirement.

> The Tri-All-Sports case is 128 inches and I believe the standard Trico
> measures the same. There's always been a surcharge over 130 inches.

I have the excellent Serfas Bike Armor case with the heavy-duty metal
latches instead of straps. It measures 47x30x11" and weights 31 lbs.
empty. I don't think you could fit a 58cm bike into anything much
smaller without major disassembly. You should look into FedEx Ground
shipping. I have found them to be consistenty cheaper than UPS Ground
on oversize items, and faster, too.

On Wed, 02 May 2007 21:03:43 GMT, "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Jan 1 of 2007 UPS ground changed their size restrictions. Now anything over
>130", length + 2x height + 2x width, incurs a $45 surcharge and is also
>subject to dimensional weight charges. Trico Iron Case OH to TX about
>$116.00. Under the 130" is would have gone for about.$71. Any
>recommendations on a case that will fit most road bikes 58 cm and under that
>meets the requirement.
>Bill

You might want to check Fedex Ground. They've always had more sense
than UPS when it comes to large packages. Not sure about this specific
size.