Upside-down swept-back bars vs Moustache bars

davedbk

Jan 14, 2006
I'm running my swept-back bars upside-down for something different. I like the lower position and the 1-2 extra hand positions.

How much is there to gain with a moustache bar over my current setup? I've still got my brakes on the swept-back parts of the bar.

Thanks,
davedbk

davedbk said:
I'm running my swept-back bars upside-down for something different. I like the lower position and the 1-2 extra hand positions.

How much is there to gain with a moustache bar over my current setup? I've still got my brakes on the swept-back parts of the bar.
A moustache-type bar is basically a road bar with minimal drop ... or, vice-versa.

If, by swept-back bars, you mean the type that came on balloon tire bikes, the moustache-type bar will have a FORWARD reach (about 4", I'd guess) which does not exist at all on your "current" bars. Since the ends on the moustache-type bars are parallel to the frame's centerline, there is also a difference in the over-all width/spread ... so, your arms will probably not be spread as wide (i.e.,, your arms may be more restricted).

If you are referring to a "regular" (hi-)rise MTB handlebar, then the differerence (in addition to forward reach) would be like having clamp-on bar ends attached.

If you like the lower position, and think that you may want an even lower position, then you may want to consider switching to "regular" road bars.

With both ROAD & moustache-type bars, you will probably need different brake levers.