UpWrong

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Robert Siegel, Jan 29, 2003.

  1. My TiRush's rear tire was flat this am ... so I thought what the hell, for a change why not ride my
    little-used but pricey GT Zaskar Team mountain bike. Front suspension, hardtail but with a
    Thudbuster seat post and a top-of-line Terry men's leather saddle.

    Result: exact same average speed as on my TiRush ... AND ... a sore ass and tender wrists. Damn. Who
    needs uprights.

    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

    Tags:

  2. Derek Swift

    Derek Swift Guest

    > Damn. Who needs uprights.

    AMEN!

  3. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    Oh, you';re the other guy that bought a thudbuster...I loved mine on my Cannondale, but sold it with
    the bike whenI got my Gary Fisher Sugar 2 full squishy!

    "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My TiRush's rear tire was flat this am ... so I thought what the hell, for
    > change why not ride my little-used but pricey GT Zaskar Team mountain
    bike.
    > Front suspension, hardtail but with a Thudbuster seat post and a top-of-line Terry men's
    > leather saddle.
    >
    > Result: exact same average speed as on my TiRush ... AND ... a sore ass and tender wrists. Damn.
    > Who needs uprights.
    >

    > Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

  4. Al Kubeluis

    Al Kubeluis Guest

    Gator, Yep, after a couple very short rides on my upright, and several attempts to sell it, I gave
    it to a friend who is training for triathlons.
    --
    ~~~ Al Kubeluis ~ Bacchetta Corsa ~ Maryland ~ USA ~~~

    "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My TiRush's rear tire was flat this am ... so I thought what the hell, for
    > change why not ride my little-used but pricey GT Zaskar Team mountain
    bike.
    > Front suspension, hardtail but with a Thudbuster seat post and a top-of-line Terry men's
    > leather saddle.
    >
    > Result: exact same average speed as on my TiRush ... AND ... a sore ass and tender wrists. Damn.
    > Who needs uprights.
    >

    > Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

  5. Shwackman

    Shwackman Guest

    HI Bob, If I'm reading this right,you went on some kind of routine ride and came home with the same
    average speed on the MTB that you do on a faired EasyRacer?? MAN, you must be doin' something wrong,
    over here in the panhandle, we pass most ALL MTB's like they're standing still, ha ha...have fun,
    Mark C. (Ti-Rush#33)

  6. Marci Taylor

    Marci Taylor Guest

    "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > My TiRush's rear tire was flat this am ... so I thought what the hell, for a change why not ride
    > my little-used but pricey GT Zaskar Team mountain bike. Front suspension, hardtail but with a
    > Thudbuster seat post and a top-of-line Terry men's leather saddle.
    >
    > Result: exact same average speed as on my TiRush ... AND ... a sore ass and tender wrists. Damn.
    > Who needs uprights.
    >

    > Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

    Hi Bob: Good grief!! You mean to tell me that your knobby tired, non aerodynamic MOUNTAIN BIKE
    averaged the same speed as the aerodynamic, fast, smooth tired TI RUSH? That is very depressing. A
    truely sad day for us bent riders...ha. Marci

  7. Rob Kopp

    Rob Kopp Guest

    Hey, I solved it!

    You must have been riding your TiRush with a flat for a long time! Imagine how fast you will feel
    when you fix that flat. Only explanation I can think of for not whipping that poor ol' Zaskar

    Rob, Who will continue to enjoy his ol' Karakorum for the ruff stuff. "Robert Siegel"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My TiRush's rear tire was flat this am ... so I thought what the hell, for
    > change why not ride my little-used but pricey GT Zaskar Team mountain
    bike.
    > Front suspension, hardtail but with a Thudbuster seat post and a top-of-line Terry men's
    > leather saddle.
    >
    > Result: exact same average speed as on my TiRush ... AND ... a sore ass and tender wrists. Damn.
    > Who needs uprights.
    >

    > Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

  8. Edward Wong

    Edward Wong Guest

    > Hi Bob: Good grief!! You mean to tell me that your knobby tired, non aerodynamic MOUNTAIN BIKE
    > averaged the same speed as the aerodynamic, fast, smooth tired TI RUSH? That is very depressing. A
    > truely sad day for us bent riders...ha. Marci

    There was a fellow newsgrouper sometime ago who started a thread on average speeds...bent vrs.
    uprights and he had reported to be somewhat faster on his high end mountain bike than his RANS
    Tailwind. Oh and he had owned and ridden the Tailwind for quite some time so it was not an issue
    with developing "bent muscles".

    Edward Wong Orlando, FL "Glad to be back on a.r.b.r."

  9. John D.

    John D. Guest

    I concur with equal or faster average speed for city commuting on a MTB or other DF. I still ride
    my DF's quite regularly and they have much faster acceleration from lights and other stops. I also
    tend to relax and enjoy the ride a little more on the bent than I do on my DF's which I get into
    sprint mode.

    John

    "Edward Wong" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi Bob: Good grief!! You mean to tell me that your knobby tired, non aerodynamic MOUNTAIN BIKE
    > > averaged the same speed as the aerodynamic, fast, smooth tired TI RUSH? That is very depressing.
    > > A truely sad day for us bent riders...ha. Marci
    >
    > There was a fellow newsgrouper sometime ago who started a thread on average speeds...bent vrs.
    > uprights and he had reported to be somewhat faster on his high end mountain bike than his RANS
    > Tailwind. Oh and he had owned and ridden the Tailwind for quite some time so it was not an issue
    > with developing "bent muscles".
    >
    > Edward Wong Orlando, FL "Glad to be back on a.r.b.r."

  10. Dave Is Here

    Dave Is Here Guest

    Robert: Sure all bikes have purpose, you know that or you wouldn't have a mtn bike in your garage.

    Today on my commute I don't think you would want anything else but a knobby tired upright. The road
    was snow and ice covered accross the entire road for 6 miles and had 9 miles of dryish road. The
    return half of the trip was entirely in the dark, thank goodness for a 20 watt halogen homeade
    headlight system.

    I know you're in Florida and don't have to put up with adverse riding conditions, but sometimes mtn
    bikes are very useful for road riding. My average speed was down from my usual speed but still was
    decent. I too had a flat today. Fortunately it was while it was sitting in my office and not on the
    road. Also lucky that it was on a 26x2 tire and the local Ace Hardware had the tubes in stock.
    Sometimes you get lucky.

    news:<[email protected]>...

  11. Gator Bob wrote:

    > Who needs uprights

    Me. If I didn't have my upright I'd be commuting on by public transport, which is horrid,
    smelly and slow.

    It's slower than the Speedmachine, and rather less comfortable, but it's still a bike.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  12. Yeah, I guess what you all say is why I still haven't sold it. The mtn bike does have a purpose and
    I admit that if remember to wear padded pants it feels considerably better on my butt.

    As for my speed on the mtn bike, on regular roads and hardpack I ride on smooth fat tires inflated
    to max pressure. I have a set of lower pressure knobbies for off-road use. Also, I find myself
    pushing harder on my occasional mtn bike rides just to "see how fast I can go on it". Also, it is a
    hardtail, has all XTR, Cane Creek and carbon components so it is a pretty fast bike. ;-))

    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

  13. Nice to see U back Edward.
    ----------------------------
    "Edward Wong" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi Bob: Good grief!! You mean to tell me that your knobby tired, non aerodynamic MOUNTAIN BIKE
    > > averaged the same speed as the aerodynamic, fast, smooth tired TI RUSH? That is very depressing.
    > > A truely sad day for us bent riders...ha. Marci
    >
    > There was a fellow newsgrouper sometime ago who started a thread on average speeds...bent vrs.
    > uprights and he had reported to be somewhat faster on his high end mountain bike than his RANS
    > Tailwind. Oh and he had owned and ridden the Tailwind for quite some time so it was not an issue
    > with developing "bent muscles".
    >
    > Edward Wong Orlando, FL "Glad to be back on a.r.b.r."

  14. Out of stubbornness I rode the upright again today ... it felt better today ... and I did good speed
    ...but ... uncomfy crotch, seat, shoulders, wrists. Not a show stopper but nowhere nearly as
    comfortable as the TiRush.

    --
    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

  15. Edward Wong

    Edward Wong Guest

  16. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Edward Wong wrote:

    > There was a fellow newsgrouper sometime ago who started a thread on average speeds...bent vrs.
    > uprights and he had reported to be somewhat faster on his high end mountain bike than his RANS
    > Tailwind. Oh and he had owned and ridden the Tailwind for quite some time so it was not an issue
    > with developing "bent muscles".

    Brian Clark and the "Tailwind from Hell"?

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    Dragonflyer

  17. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote:

    > Me. If I didn't have my upright I'd be commuting on by public transport, which is horrid, smelly
    > and slow....

    I thought that privatization had done wonders to improve the British passenger rail system. Maybe
    the same needs to be done with other forms of mass transit?

  18. Tom Sherman wrote:

    > I thought that privatization had done wonders to improve the British passenger rail system.

    It hasn't. Where there was once but one company to blame for late, overcrowded and smelly train you
    can now take your pick of a Several, all of whom are as bad as one another, plus the entirely
    different company that owns the infrastructure. The high-speed rail link between London and the
    Channel Tunnel will not open until 2007 - thirteen years after the tunnel, while Eurostar trains
    have been running from Calais to Lille and Paris at 300 km/h since Day 1.

    The London Underground is still publicly-owned and is also horrid and smelly. I was obliged to use
    it this morning and did not like it one little bit.

    Now the French, *they* know how to run a railway...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  19. Chris Walker

    Chris Walker Guest

    Alas, Tom, you are sadly misinformed about British trains.

    They continue as overcrowded and unreliable as ever, with a little extra added by commercial
    pressures. For example, the rail companies' payroll policies are so highly optimized that when a
    driver oversleeps there's nobody else to drive the train and several hundred people arrive late for
    work. It's illegal in this country to transport cattle in the conditions imposed on human
    passengers.

    As often as not privatization is simply an opportunity for stupid, lazy public-sector employees to
    masquerade as entrepreneurs. A railway employee was recently quoted countering a complaint from a
    passenger with "Do you think the railway is being run for your benefit?".

    In any case, I think Dave is talking about the (unprivatized) London Underground, which still stands
    as a warning of how thoroughly bad the public sector can be. Maintenance gangs take 900 man-hours to
    complete a 60-hour job, others try to fit a straight section of rail on a curved piece of track,
    passengers are left for hours in stifling tunnels because nobody will take responsibility for
    evacuating them. At the moment, two lines are closed for several weeks because a motor fell off a
    train and derailed it.

    That's why I prefer to bike to work.

    Chris

  20. Chris Walker wrote:

    > In any case, I think Dave is talking about the (unprivatized) London Underground

    Indeed. It wasn't too bad this morning, as living one stop from the end of the line means that I can
    get a seat on a train heading away from town, go to Walthamstow Central and then return. Otherwise
    it's standing room only. Last night was OK too, as it was well after the pub closed, but getting
    from London Bridge to Kings Cross yesterday evening, a little over three miles, took forty minutes
    because snow had stullered up the outer reaches of the Northern Line.

    <ob_recumbent> I had to go that way to collect the new stem for my Speedmachine from Bikefix
    </ob_recumbent>

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/