UpWrong

Robert Siegel

Guest
My TiRush's rear tire was flat this am ... so I thought what the hell, for a change why not ride my
little-used but pricey GT Zaskar Team mountain bike. Front suspension, hardtail but with a
Thudbuster seat post and a top-of-line Terry men's leather saddle.

Result: exact same average speed as on my TiRush ... AND ... a sore ass and tender wrists. Damn. Who
needs uprights.

Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

Oh, you';re the other guy that bought a thudbuster...I loved mine on my Cannondale, but sold it with
the bike whenI got my Gary Fisher Sugar 2 full squishy!

"Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My TiRush's rear tire was flat this am ... so I thought what the hell, for
> change why not ride my little-used but pricey GT Zaskar Team mountain
bike.
> Front suspension, hardtail but with a Thudbuster seat post and a top-of-line Terry men's
> leather saddle.
>
> Result: exact same average speed as on my TiRush ... AND ... a sore ass and tender wrists. Damn.
> Who needs uprights.
>

> Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

Gator, Yep, after a couple very short rides on my upright, and several attempts to sell it, I gave
it to a friend who is training for triathlons.
--
~~~ Al Kubeluis ~ Bacchetta Corsa ~ Maryland ~ USA ~~~

"Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My TiRush's rear tire was flat this am ... so I thought what the hell, for
> change why not ride my little-used but pricey GT Zaskar Team mountain
bike.
> Front suspension, hardtail but with a Thudbuster seat post and a top-of-line Terry men's
> leather saddle.
>
> Result: exact same average speed as on my TiRush ... AND ... a sore ass and tender wrists. Damn.
> Who needs uprights.
>

> Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

HI Bob, If I'm reading this right,you went on some kind of routine ride and came home with the same
average speed on the MTB that you do on a faired EasyRacer?? MAN, you must be doin' something wrong,
over here in the panhandle, we pass most ALL MTB's like they're standing still, ha ha...have fun,
Mark C. (Ti-Rush#33)

"Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> My TiRush's rear tire was flat this am ... so I thought what the hell, for a change why not ride
> my little-used but pricey GT Zaskar Team mountain bike. Front suspension, hardtail but with a
> Thudbuster seat post and a top-of-line Terry men's leather saddle.
>
> Result: exact same average speed as on my TiRush ... AND ... a sore ass and tender wrists. Damn.
> Who needs uprights.
>

> Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

Hi Bob: Good grief!! You mean to tell me that your knobby tired, non aerodynamic MOUNTAIN BIKE
averaged the same speed as the aerodynamic, fast, smooth tired TI RUSH? That is very depressing. A
truely sad day for us bent riders...ha. Marci

Hey, I solved it!

You must have been riding your TiRush with a flat for a long time! Imagine how fast you will feel
when you fix that flat. Only explanation I can think of for not whipping that poor ol' Zaskar

Rob, Who will continue to enjoy his ol' Karakorum for the ruff stuff. "Robert Siegel"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My TiRush's rear tire was flat this am ... so I thought what the hell, for
> change why not ride my little-used but pricey GT Zaskar Team mountain
bike.
> Front suspension, hardtail but with a Thudbuster seat post and a top-of-line Terry men's
> leather saddle.
>
> Result: exact same average speed as on my TiRush ... AND ... a sore ass and tender wrists. Damn.
> Who needs uprights.
>

> Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

> Hi Bob: Good grief!! You mean to tell me that your knobby tired, non aerodynamic MOUNTAIN BIKE
> averaged the same speed as the aerodynamic, fast, smooth tired TI RUSH? That is very depressing. A
> truely sad day for us bent riders...ha. Marci

There was a fellow newsgrouper sometime ago who started a thread on average speeds...bent vrs.
uprights and he had reported to be somewhat faster on his high end mountain bike than his RANS
Tailwind. Oh and he had owned and ridden the Tailwind for quite some time so it was not an issue
with developing "bent muscles".

Edward Wong Orlando, FL "Glad to be back on a.r.b.r."

I concur with equal or faster average speed for city commuting on a MTB or other DF. I still ride
my DF's quite regularly and they have much faster acceleration from lights and other stops. I also
tend to relax and enjoy the ride a little more on the bent than I do on my DF's which I get into
sprint mode.

John

"Edward Wong" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Hi Bob: Good grief!! You mean to tell me that your knobby tired, non aerodynamic MOUNTAIN BIKE
> > averaged the same speed as the aerodynamic, fast, smooth tired TI RUSH? That is very depressing.
> > A truely sad day for us bent riders...ha. Marci
>
> There was a fellow newsgrouper sometime ago who started a thread on average speeds...bent vrs.
> uprights and he had reported to be somewhat faster on his high end mountain bike than his RANS
> Tailwind. Oh and he had owned and ridden the Tailwind for quite some time so it was not an issue
> with developing "bent muscles".
>
> Edward Wong Orlando, FL "Glad to be back on a.r.b.r."

Robert: Sure all bikes have purpose, you know that or you wouldn't have a mtn bike in your garage.

Today on my commute I don't think you would want anything else but a knobby tired upright. The road
was snow and ice covered accross the entire road for 6 miles and had 9 miles of dryish road. The
return half of the trip was entirely in the dark, thank goodness for a 20 watt halogen homeade
headlight system.

I know you're in Florida and don't have to put up with adverse riding conditions, but sometimes mtn
bikes are very useful for road riding. My average speed was down from my usual speed but still was
decent. I too had a flat today. Fortunately it was while it was sitting in my office and not on the
road. Also lucky that it was on a 26x2 tire and the local Ace Hardware had the tubes in stock.
Sometimes you get lucky.

news:<[email protected]>...

Gator Bob wrote:

> Who needs uprights

Me. If I didn't have my upright I'd be commuting on by public transport, which is horrid,
smelly and slow.

It's slower than the Speedmachine, and rather less comfortable, but it's still a bike.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Yeah, I guess what you all say is why I still haven't sold it. The mtn bike does have a purpose and
I admit that if remember to wear padded pants it feels considerably better on my butt.

As for my speed on the mtn bike, on regular roads and hardpack I ride on smooth fat tires inflated
to max pressure. I have a set of lower pressure knobbies for off-road use. Also, I find myself
pushing harder on my occasional mtn bike rides just to "see how fast I can go on it". Also, it is a
hardtail, has all XTR, Cane Creek and carbon components so it is a pretty fast bike. ;-))

Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

Nice to see U back Edward.
----------------------------
"Edward Wong" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Hi Bob: Good grief!! You mean to tell me that your knobby tired, non aerodynamic MOUNTAIN BIKE
> > averaged the same speed as the aerodynamic, fast, smooth tired TI RUSH? That is very depressing.
> > A truely sad day for us bent riders...ha. Marci
>
> There was a fellow newsgrouper sometime ago who started a thread on average speeds...bent vrs.
> uprights and he had reported to be somewhat faster on his high end mountain bike than his RANS
> Tailwind. Oh and he had owned and ridden the Tailwind for quite some time so it was not an issue
> with developing "bent muscles".
>
> Edward Wong Orlando, FL "Glad to be back on a.r.b.r."

Out of stubbornness I rode the upright again today ... it felt better today ... and I did good speed
...but ... uncomfy crotch, seat, shoulders, wrists. Not a show stopper but nowhere nearly as
comfortable as the TiRush.

--

Edward Wong wrote:

> There was a fellow newsgrouper sometime ago who started a thread on average speeds...bent vrs.
> uprights and he had reported to be somewhat faster on his high end mountain bike than his RANS
> Tailwind. Oh and he had owned and ridden the Tailwind for quite some time so it was not an issue
> with developing "bent muscles".

Brian Clark and the "Tailwind from Hell"?

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
Dragonflyer

Dave Larrington wrote:

> Me. If I didn't have my upright I'd be commuting on by public transport, which is horrid, smelly
> and slow....

I thought that privatization had done wonders to improve the British passenger rail system. Maybe
the same needs to be done with other forms of mass transit?

Tom Sherman wrote:

> I thought that privatization had done wonders to improve the British passenger rail system.

It hasn't. Where there was once but one company to blame for late, overcrowded and smelly train you
can now take your pick of a Several, all of whom are as bad as one another, plus the entirely
different company that owns the infrastructure. The high-speed rail link between London and the
Channel Tunnel will not open until 2007 - thirteen years after the tunnel, while Eurostar trains
have been running from Calais to Lille and Paris at 300 km/h since Day 1.

The London Underground is still publicly-owned and is also horrid and smelly. I was obliged to use
it this morning and did not like it one little bit.

Now the French, *they* know how to run a railway...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Alas, Tom, you are sadly misinformed about British trains.

They continue as overcrowded and unreliable as ever, with a little extra added by commercial
pressures. For example, the rail companies' payroll policies are so highly optimized that when a
driver oversleeps there's nobody else to drive the train and several hundred people arrive late for
work. It's illegal in this country to transport cattle in the conditions imposed on human
passengers.

As often as not privatization is simply an opportunity for stupid, lazy public-sector employees to
masquerade as entrepreneurs. A railway employee was recently quoted countering a complaint from a
passenger with "Do you think the railway is being run for your benefit?".

In any case, I think Dave is talking about the (unprivatized) London Underground, which still stands
as a warning of how thoroughly bad the public sector can be. Maintenance gangs take 900 man-hours to
complete a 60-hour job, others try to fit a straight section of rail on a curved piece of track,
passengers are left for hours in stifling tunnels because nobody will take responsibility for
evacuating them. At the moment, two lines are closed for several weeks because a motor fell off a
train and derailed it.

That's why I prefer to bike to work.

Chris

Chris Walker wrote:

> In any case, I think Dave is talking about the (unprivatized) London Underground

Indeed. It wasn't too bad this morning, as living one stop from the end of the line means that I can
get a seat on a train heading away from town, go to Walthamstow Central and then return. Otherwise
it's standing room only. Last night was OK too, as it was well after the pub closed, but getting
from London Bridge to Kings Cross yesterday evening, a little over three miles, took forty minutes
because snow had stullered up the outer reaches of the Northern Line.

<ob_recumbent> I had to go that way to collect the new stem for my Speedmachine from Bikefix
</ob_recumbent>

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/