URC and walking poles

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Bernard, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. Bernard

    Bernard Guest

    There is a Hill Walking thread over in uk.rec.cycling where walking poles are being discussed. It
    looks like the thread was started by a Scottish student.

    Tags:

  2. Mark South

    Mark South Guest

    "Bernard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > There is a Hill Walking thread over in uk.rec.cycling where walking
    poles
    > are being discussed. It looks like the thread was started by a
    Scottish
    > student.

    Perhaps Pete Clinch will post them the entire content of his massively memorable poles
    discussion/flame war from rec.backcountry a few years back? :) :) :)

    Pray it doesn't bring the URCers here. There are some dangerous nutters there to start with, and
    they will inevitably crosspost to uk.rec.scouting and uk.transport before the thread dies.

    I find even lurking in URC is terrifying these days...
    --
    Mark South: Citizen of the World, Denizen of the Net

  3. Marc

    Marc Guest

    > Pray it doesn't bring the URCers here. There are some dangerous nutters there to start with

    Some of us are already here!

  4. RJ Webb

    RJ Webb Guest

    >Pray it doesn't bring the URCers here. There are some dangerous nutters there to start with, and
    >they will inevitably crosspost to uk.rec.scouting and uk.transport before the thread dies.

    One of us is already here

    Richard Webb

  5. Mark South

    Mark South Guest

    "RJ Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > >Pray it doesn't bring the URCers here. There are some dangerous
    nutters
    > >there to start with, and they will inevitably crosspost to uk.rec.scouting and uk.transport
    > >before the thread dies.
    >
    > One of us is already here

    Neither you nor "marc" count as dangerous nutters. Nutters, probably! -- after all you seem to be
    cyclists. Piloting an inherently unstable vehicle across dangerous terrain is not exactly the
    preserve of the sane, is it now? :) :)

    By "dangerous" I meant those willing and able to flood the entire group with their opinions on
    everything under the sun and to do their level best to turn thread drift into thread thrash.

    And crosspost to uk.transport to top it off. Now have you guessed which two charming induhviduals I
    have in mind?

    Strangely, I have never felt the need for walking poles on a bicycle, but have found them jolly
    useful around mountains and bogs. They kill slugs more quietly than a shotgun too.

    --
    Mark South: Citizen of the World, Denizen of the Net

  6. Andyp

    Andyp Guest

    "Mark South" <[email protected]> wrote

    > By "dangerous" I meant those willing and able to flood the entire group with their opinions on
    > everything under the sun and to do their level best to turn thread drift into thread thrash.

    As I said on there I think the sad thing about URC is that several people are just there for the
    purpose of arguing and are willing to shout loudly about stuff they know nothing about regardless of
    whether or not they've got their facts right. I've certainly developed a mental note of several
    people who's opinions I wouldn't trust on anything.

  7. Marc

    Marc Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] spam.co.uk says...
    > several people are just there for the purpose of arguing and are willing to shout loudly about
    > stuff they know nothing about regardless of whether or not they've got their facts right. I've
    > certainly developed a mental note of several people who's opinions I wouldn't trust on anything.

    Doesn't that apply to every NG , including this one?

  8. Rj Webb

    Rj Webb Guest

    >And crosspost to uk.transport to top it off. Now have you guessed which two charming induhviduals I
    >have in mind?

    Yes.. you make a very good point...

    Mind after dipping into the Embra airport group, I find urc quite sane...

    Meanwhile here remains an oasis of sanity, even if I have fed one troll to often recently , you know
    who I mean ...

    Richard Webb