Urgent - Dawes Giro 600 Audax.

harryh

Apr 29, 2008
Hi
I would appreciate advice on a Dawes Giro 600 Audax that I have been offered. It is a 1995 model with a triple and sti's. Components are RSX and it is a Reynolds 531 butted frame and conti top tour tyres. Someone on a blog I was researching said it was a harsh ride. It looks in not bad condition, just a clean up required apart from the fact that apparently only 18 of the 21 gears where shifting last year before it was put in storage. The seller is looking for £150 uk sterling. I need to decide today.
Thanks for your time,
Harry

Originally Posted by harryh .

I would appreciate advice on a Dawes Giro 600 Audax that I have been offered. It is a 1995 model with a triple and sti's. Components are RSX and it is a Reynolds 531 butted frame and conti top tour tyres. Someone on a blog I was researching said it was a harsh ride. It looks in not bad condition, just a clean up required apart from the fact that apparently only 18 of the 21 gears where shifting last year before it was put in storage. The seller is looking for £150 uk sterling. I need to decide today.
The Dawes Giro 600 Audax bike may have a harsh ride, but a Reynolds 531 frame with "AUDAX" in the name suggests otherwise ...

Tyre choice & inflation pressure will play a big part in the bike's comfort -- 700x28, or larger, tyres inflated at 90-to-95PSI will probably serve you well.

FWIW. £150 is a pretty good price if the frame is YOUR size ... potentially a bargain, IMO.

BTW. If the shifters are truly dodgy ([COLOR= #808080]i.e., if lubing & adjusting and/or changing the cables doesn't resolve the shifting problems) [/COLOR][COLOR= #000000]then you can replace them with a set of non-QS Campagnolo 10-speed shifters ...[/COLOR]

FYI. Ramped teeth on cogs are a real benefit ... if the teeth on the current Freewheel's (?) cogs are not ramped, then consider getting a SunRace Freewheel at some future point in time. If the rear hub uses a cassette, gettng a new SRAM cassette (vs. a NOS Shimano casette from that era) will ensure that the teeth will be ramped.

Thank you for the advice. I bought the bike today. Its in lovely condition apart from the RSX STI for the front deraileur not shifting at all. `the chain is on the middle cog. I'll have a proper look tomorrow. I am not really keen on STI, I have a notion to change to bar end or down tube shifters anyway. Its a 21 geared RSX setup, 3x7. I suppose I have the choice of either friction or indexed. Any advice what can or can not be done regarding this would be appreciated.
Cheers

If the front shifter is actually kaput, then you could be-like-Lance and simply replace the front shifter with a downtube shifter ...

But, before you replace the left shifter, be sure the front derailleur hasn't rusted ... that the cable is properly tensioned ... etc.

What a good idea, but I would like to change both in case the other goes. The RSX derailuers do not seem to be of terrific quality. I may change them at the same time. Dont know if I can get 7 speeds anymore though.

Thanks for your imput. Appreciate any other advice on this.
Cheers
Harry

Could someone give advice on my options to change out the rsx sti's and the drop handle bars to something like north road or mustache bars. What shifters would change the existing front triple and back seven speed or would I be better to change the lot and if so, to what?

Thanks
Harry

I would like to change both in case the other goes. The RSX derailuers do not seem to be of terrific quality. I may change them at the same time. Dont know if I can get 7 speeds anymore though.
FYI. 10-speed Campagnolo shifters can be indexed to 8-and-9 speed Shimano drivetrains when using an 8-/9-speed Shimano rear derailleur ... and, because 7-and-8 speed cog spacing are close to one another (close enough), you should be able to use the 10-speed Campagnolo shifters with a 7-speed Shimano drivetrain, too.

The non-QS Campagnolo shifters can work with almost any front derailleur & crankset combination.

• The "standard" (ErgoPower) Campagnolo shifters are highly recommended!

The Xenon-based QS Campagnolo shifters should work with most front derailleurs + DOUBLE crankset.

BTW. When in doubt, choose a "standard pull" XT rear derailleur (e.g., RD-750).

Could someone give advice on my options to change out the rsx sti's and the drop handle bars to something like north road or mustache bars. What shifters would change the existing front triple and back seven speed or would I be better to change the lot and if so, to what?

Thanks
Harry

Take your pick:http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=shimano+7+speed+shifter&_sacat=0&_odkw=mustache+handlebars&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1311

With Mustache Handlebars, you will probably want bar end shifters as shown in the photo in the link. If you want to buy these handlebars, abaxo is a great seller with quality low cost parts.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tiki-Mustache-Handlebar-Handle-Bar-25-4-/300553665658?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45fa64fc7a