Urgent need for focussed anti-helmet law campaign in UK

the-vehicular-cyclist

Guest
I have noted the numbers of individuals posting to this newsgroup that
are very well informed about the shortcomings of bicycle helmets and
the negative effects of helmet laws.

Despite what I consider a critical mass in the UK to make up a strong
opposition, I am not aware of any organization whose sole objective is
to respond to nonsense from helmet law campaigners such as BHIT and the
misguided in the BMA. I do observe a number of thoughtful individual
efforts such as Tony Raven's recent, about-to-be published letter.

As one that has organized campaigns against helmet law proposals here
in Canada since 1993 with fewer well informed people available and
limited by the research of the time, I am surprised that in the UK no
one has taken the lead in initiating a campaign.

You just need one or two (Guy, Tony, others?) to get things rolling by
giving yourself a name, setting up a website, putting together a list
of relevant research, and by signing up supporters. I have used this
model under the name of the Ontario Coalition for Better Cycling with a
reasonable amount of success here. Unlike individuals, an organization
with a name and members gets attention from the media. Just look at
what idiots (or maybe not so idiots) like BHIT have been able to
achieve.

I would love to see the BMA position repudiated. What it does has
knock-on effects elsewhere in the world.

So what do you think?

Avery Burdett
Author
The Vehicular Cyclist (and Ontario's anti-law campaign site)
<http://magma.ca/~ocbc>
Ottawa, Canada
(You cannot reach me via the hotmail adddress but can via the website)

the-vehicular-cyclist wrote:

> I have noted the numbers of individuals posting to this newsgroup that
> are very well informed about the shortcomings of bicycle helmets and
> the negative effects of helmet laws.
>
> Despite what I consider a critical mass in the UK to make up a strong
> opposition, I am not aware of any organization whose sole objective is
> to respond to nonsense from helmet law campaigners such as BHIT and the
> misguided in the BMA. I do observe a number of thoughtful individual
> efforts such as Tony Raven's recent, about-to-be published letter.

www.cyclehelmets.org?

On 6 Sep 2005 12:12:22 -0700, "the-vehicular-cyclist"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have noted the numbers of individuals posting to this newsgroup that
>are very well informed about the shortcomings of bicycle helmets and
>the negative effects of helmet laws.

<snip>
>You just need one or two (Guy, Tony, others?) to get things rolling by
>giving yourself a name, setting up a website, putting together a list
>of relevant research, and by signing up supporters.

<www.cyclehelmets.org>

But you're listed as being on the editorial board. Am I missing
something?

Tim

cyclinghelmets.org is the official site of the Bicycle Helmet Research
Foundation. Although helmet sceptic, it is independent of any campaign.
It provides valuable sources of contra-opinion and contra-research, and
being independent, it gives a lot of credibility to anyone that quotes
its material.

I can see how the confusion might arise though since info on the BHRF
is not prominent on the website.

I have no more influence on what's included than anyone else on the
Editorial Board. It's a quasi peer review process that simply means I
am asked to comment on anything that is added to the website. My
suggestions are often ignored.
AB

> www.cyclehelmets.org?

Not a good choice, IMO. You want a site name that suggests increasing
the numbers of people cycling, then the web site itself explains how
great cycling is, how safe it is, why the more people who cycle, the
safer we all are, etc. and that leads into why helmet compulsion is
bad.

--
Peter Headland

Peter Headland wrote:
> > www.cyclehelmets.org?

> Not a good choice, IMO. You want a site name that suggests increasing
> the numbers of people cycling, then the web site itself explains how
> great cycling is, how safe it is, why the more people who cycle, the
> safer we all are, etc. and that leads into why helmet compulsion is
> bad.

Exactly, similar to what we have been doing here in Ontario. OK, so
we've mostly commented on means, anyone ready to jump (ie into
leadership)?

Avery Burdett
Ottawa, Canada

Peter Headland wrote:
>>www.cyclehelmets.org?

> Not a good choice, IMO. You want a site name that suggests increasing
> the numbers of people cycling, then the web site itself explains how
> great cycling is, how safe it is, why the more people who cycle, the
> safer we all are, etc. and that leads into why helmet compulsion is
> bad.

I've just registered BsHIT.info if that helps ;-)

--
Tony

Anon