Urgent Nutrician Advice Needed

Ssushi

Mar 21, 2003
Last Sat I had a 100k MTB marathon, I was in the saddle about 5 hours before quitting at 85k due to a drilling headache and severely upset stomach. I was also starting to cramp.

I sweat like no one else I know - intensely so. So I figure the headache and cramps are due to hydration and electrolytes. The upset stomach due to the sports drink I was taking.

This Sun I'm doing the Dolomites road race (138k, with 5.5 vert climb). I need to change my fuel intake to reduce the sports drink (which is high in both energy and electrolytes) - but where else can I get the electrolytes from? I'm concerned about trying a new formula on race day, but don't have another option.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Ssushi

Ssushi said:
Last Sat I had a 100k MTB marathon, I was in the saddle about 5 hours before quitting at 85k due to a drilling headache and severely upset stomach. I was also starting to cramp.

I sweat like no one else I know - intensely so. So I figure the headache and cramps are due to hydration and electrolytes. The upset stomach due to the sports drink I was taking.

This Sun I'm doing the Dolomites road race (138k, with 5.5 vert climb). I need to change my fuel intake to reduce the sports drink (which is high in both energy and electrolytes) - but where else can I get the electrolytes from? I'm concerned about trying a new formula on race day, but don't have another option.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Ssushi
I feel your pain as I sweat like no other making it difficult to stay hydrated. Your upset stomach was probably due to reduced blood flow in the stomach/intestines because of your activity, making what you were eating and drinking sit in your stomach and hence upset. Trying a new product on race day is risky, I would not do it, but if there is no other option, try Hammer Nutrition Endurolyte tablets. IF you really are like me with sweating, you are going to need sports drink and energy. Try making your own sports drink with fruit juice and salt and get NRG from some other source that you are comfortable eating on the fly. Lastly, drink often so you don't put a lot of fluid into your stomach at once.

You must be overheating too to sweat so much.
I went on a long ride with 3 bottles of something. 2 were frozen. One down the back of my shirt to keep my back cool. When that melted, I moved it to the drink holder and put the other frozen one down my back as well.......while drinking the other (unfrozen) one first.

It helped a little.

If it's dry/hot and not humid wet your clothes before the start as well....

A guy in our club even has little restaurant sachels of salt that he'll break open on hot days in races.... not sure if that will make him dehydrate more or notbut on that day, I got cramps and he didn't...

Eat well the day before as well as the morning of the ride as well....

I dont think your your stomach issue was due to the sports drink although it is ture digestion is a bit harder on the bike to say the least you had a much bigger issue with hydration,heat and electrolye imbalance. That combination will give you a large increase in abdominal discomfort. You may find it harder to eat real food on the ride but many long distance cyclist do and are just fine. I also have had some of my athelets have issue with fruit based drinks that contain fructose and my increase your discomfort. I would definetly add endorlytes to your program and start using them in training. So make sure you stay hydrated during the ride and dont try and catch up after an hour sip as you go and take endorolytes and maintain control of heat with proper wicking fabrics etc.