Urgent question on bike purchasing advisement

navitatl

Oct 1, 2006
I'm about 5' 11", thin, not very muscular or fat.
I'm looking at buying a "Novara Randonee" from REI for touring, and they have in stock the 52 CM frame.
Will this be a good size for touring? I've never had a road bike before, so I don't have anything to compare it to.
It's $750 on clearance and I've heard it's a great bike.
So, any thoughts about the frame size or its capabilities for touring?
I'm going to buy this tomorrow morning if you guys think it will be good.
Thanks so much.

navitatl said:
I'm looking at buying a "Novara Randonee" from REI for touring, and they have in stock the 52 CM frame.
Will this be a good size for touring? I've never had a road bike before, so I don't have anything to compare it to.
Thanks so much.

The 52cm has an effective top tube of 54.5cm whereas the 55cm frame has a 56cm top tube. For your height I would think that the 55cm would be a better fit but there are so many variables would would want to make sure it was right before you bought. Someone is always have a special. Try and take one for a ride first.

Cheers

Geoff

navitatl said:
Thanks so much.
5' 11" on a 52 cm? Distinct possibility you would look and feel like a gorilla on a monkey bike. You'd really need a 56 or a 58. My partner is 5' 11" and does very nicely on a 58. It's fair to say there are loads of variables and you definitely should get a ride to see how it fits 'real time'.

navitatl said:
Thanks so much.
I'm 5' 11"....I have a 30" pant inseam and I fit nicely on a 56cm...of course there are different variables to consider, but overall I would think a 52 would be a bit small on you.