URI (upper respiratory infection) and training

Linda Lou

Dec 18, 2004
:eek: I've picked up a chest cold. I'm not bringing up any mucous, but can feel there is some there when I get into one of my "coughing fits". My coughing is worse at night when I am lying down. Other than the cough, I feel fine. Anybody trained while having a URI? What did you do? and how intense? I am wanting to know if doing indoor spinerval tapes at moderate intensity might help shorten the length of this, or if I should just lay off for a few days? (9" snow on ground makes it impossible to bike outside right now). Thanks for any advice you can give me!

I've always stuck to the 'if the symptoms are below the neck then lay off training' theory. Otherwise if you have runny nose, sore throat or sinus issues then training may help to alleviate symptoms.

Happy Christmas.

Stay off the bike. I was otherwise healthy but 3 weeks ago, I had slight symptoms yet continued to train. I came down with pneumonia and was off my feet for 2 weeks. Now I am worse off in training than had I taken a few days off.

With a cold, you have compromised immune response and cycling can expose you to more pathogens than your body can handle. That is what happened to me and I believe it was road dust that caused the infection.

Keep a close eye on your temperature, any elevation with a cold along with breathing pain indicates such complications. Get medical attention promptly. I waited 2 days until hypoxia was noticable.

Linda Lou said:
:eek: I've picked up a chest cold. I'm not bringing up any mucous, but can feel there is some there when I get into one of my "coughing fits". My coughing is worse at night when I am lying down. Other than the cough, I feel fine. Anybody trained while having a URI? What did you do? and how intense? I am wanting to know if doing indoor spinerval tapes at moderate intensity might help shorten the length of this, or if I should just lay off for a few days? (9" snow on ground makes it impossible to bike outside right now). Thanks for any advice you can give me!
Agreed - I think the old saying goes something like "If it's in the head, go ahead. If it's in the chest, get some rest".

And not to mention that when your cycling inside you are sucking in air of elevated temperature and humidity. Probably not helping your case...

Weisse Luft said:
Stay off the bike. I was otherwise healthy but 3 weeks ago, I had slight symptoms yet continued to train. I came down with pneumonia and was off my feet for 2 weeks. Now I am worse off in training than had I taken a few days off.

With a cold, you have compromised immune response and cycling can expose you to more pathogens than your body can handle. That is what happened to me and I believe it was road dust that caused the infection.

Keep a close eye on your temperature, any elevation with a cold along with breathing pain indicates such complications. Get medical attention promptly. I waited 2 days until hypoxia was noticable.
Although I agree with your statements in general, can I just say that road dust (or cold temperatures) do not lead to colds, 'flu or pneumonia!!!

You have to come into contact with a virus to get a cold or the 'flu. Mostly this is from contact - so that you (generally) touch something where there is viable virus (eg a surface that someone with a cold has recently coughed on) and then you introduce that virus by touching your eyes or mouth, picking your nose or eating without washing your hands first.

Pneumonia is slightly more likely after getting a cold. It is probably from micro-aspiration of bacteria that are in your mouth. Normally your body can beat these bugs. But if you are weakened by the cold or by overtraining or by having a weakened immune system (eg HIV, treatment with immune suppressing medications, inability to cough), then progression to pneumonia is more likely. You can obviously get pneumonia without a preceding viral infection too. Training hard when you have a cold is probably not a great idea.

The only thing I ever get sick from is URIs..if you dont count that bronchitis/whateveritwas combo BLECH! I was coughing up mouthfuls of mucous every 5 minutes. Wasn't fun.

As far as training with a URI. There's no reason to stop... but it won't be beneficial workout. I find myself to be a slow moving mucous hurler when sick. Prefer to spend it recovering.

And I HATE it when you feel "ok" all day untill bed time where you cough so much that you get a headache. YUCK. Glad I dont get sick too much.

triguy98 said:
The only thing I ever get sick from is URIs..if you dont count that bronchitis/whateveritwas combo BLECH! I was coughing up mouthfuls of mucous every 5 minutes. Wasn't fun.

As far as training with a URI. There's no reason to stop... but it won't be beneficial workout. I find myself to be a slow moving mucous hurler when sick. Prefer to spend it recovering.

And I HATE it when you feel "ok" all day untill bed time where you cough so much that you get a headache. YUCK. Glad I dont get sick too much.
There is a reason not to train or to take it VERY easy - the URI could be caused by the Coxsackie virus - this one can invade the heart muscle and cause havoc with your life. A junk workout isn't worth a potentially significant setback in your training due to the recovery you would need if the virus spreads. Just ask Joe Friel.

Stay off the bike. Every time I've gotten sick with something bicycling has made it worse (or feel worse anyway). I might be a bit more paranoid than most but I usually allow myself to fully recover from any illness before I continue riding.

Riding in general seems to help anytime I am sick (head or elsewhere). But I don't advocate getting tired in the process, that would be bad strategicly. The simple act of cruising around seems to bring more fresh air to the system and promote more circulation.