US Bike Route 1 through Richmond, VA

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 02:06:02 -0500, Matt O'Toole
<[email protected]> wrote:

>The Times-Colonist Dispatch had a great article today about US Bike Route
>1 through Richmond. I linked to it from the VBF site:
>
> http://www.vabike.org/us-bike-route-1-richmond
>
>There's been a lot of interest in this lately, so we're very pleased with
>this coverage.
>
>Matt O.

I used to live in Richmond. The powers that be have gone to a lot of
trouble to place signage along the route. It's also become very rider
friendly over the years as well.

On the North side of Route 1 close to Glen Allen, Virginia there are
some GREAT restaurants in the area and a couple of inexpensive
hotel/motels as well. One of the most inexpensive is the Cavalier
Motel at 8827 Brook Road ((route 1)). I stayed at this motel while I
was doing a contract job in the area. Was there for a couple of
months. Close enough to have access to everything and yet far enough
away to be quite comfortable in the evenings.

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 05:33:56 -0600, Harry Brogan wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 02:06:02 -0500, Matt O'Toole
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>The Times-Colonist Dispatch had a great article today about US Bike Route
>>1 through Richmond. I linked to it from the VBF site:
>>
>> http://www.vabike.org/us-bike-route-1-richmond
>>
>>There's been a lot of interest in this lately, so we're very pleased with
>>this coverage.
>>
>>Matt O.

> I used to live in Richmond. The powers that be have gone to a lot of
> trouble to place signage along the route. It's also become very rider
> friendly over the years as well.
>
> On the North side of Route 1 close to Glen Allen, Virginia there are some
> GREAT restaurants in the area and a couple of inexpensive hotel/motels as
> well. One of the most inexpensive is the Cavalier Motel at 8827 Brook
> Road ((route 1)). I stayed at this motel while I was doing a contract
> job in the area. Was there for a couple of months. Close enough to have
> access to everything and yet far enough away to be quite comfortable in
> the evenings.

Harry,

Thanks for the info. We'd appreciate it if you'd leave it as a comment on
our website. Same goes for anyone else with something to add.

In the past we've had a good collection of routes and links on our site,
but when I took it over this year most of that info was way out of date.
We're going through it to find the best stuff to put back, but it's
almost impossible for anyone to maintain such directories unless they
do that and nothing else. However blog articles can be kept current
through comments.

Matt O.

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 19:22:57 -0500, Matt O'Toole
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 05:33:56 -0600, Harry Brogan wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 02:06:02 -0500, Matt O'Toole

>Harry,
>
>Thanks for the info. We'd appreciate it if you'd leave it as a comment on
>our website. Same goes for anyone else with something to add.
>
>In the past we've had a good collection of routes and links on our site,
>but when I took it over this year most of that info was way out of date.
>We're going through it to find the best stuff to put back, but it's
>almost impossible for anyone to maintain such directories unless they
>do that and nothing else. However blog articles can be kept current
>through comments.
>
>Matt O.

There is a lot of interesting things that I "Discovered" while I was
living in Virginia. I love the history and, one of my ancestors is
Henry Clay. I would love to make some more postings and let folks
know what's out there. Campgrounds, places to eat, places to
stay....just let me know where you want them posted and I'll, be happy
to share the info.

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:58:58 -0600, Harry Brogan wrote:

> There is a lot of interesting things that I "Discovered" while I was
> living in Virginia. I love the history and, one of my ancestors is Henry
> Clay. I would love to make some more postings and let folks know what's
> out there. Campgrounds, places to eat, places to stay....just let me know
> where you want them posted and I'll, be happy to share the info.

That would be great! www.vabike.org, new stuff coming out all the time.
I plan to feature more route and trail stuff in the coming
months, but we're occupied with legislative stuff right now.

For anyone interested in our annual Cross-State ride, we're still
intent on doing it this year but we haven't had a chance to plan it yet.
We're still considering Route 1 north to south, some time in May.

Matt O.