US cycling legend LeMond to appear as witness against Landis

limerickman said:
I do have some contacts in Minnesota who tell me that LeMond - as far as they know - is well set up financially and, doesn't have to work for the rest of his days, if he so chooses.
This would seem to be at loggerheads with certain opinions expressed here about LeMond attempting to portray him as being in "financial trouble".

He doesn't have much of a head for business I don't think; he's had a couple ventures fail... but that doesn't mean he's headed for the po' house.

You really know someone in Minnesota? There's only a couple hundred in the whole state.

DiabloScott said:
You really know someone in Minnesota? There's only a couple hundred in the whole state.

I do indeed know some people over there - in St Paul to be exact.
They're cyclists as well, don't you know.

Not bad for a place with only a couple of hundred, as you put it.

Lots of Lemond Haters posting, but they still can't come up with a single thing he did to hurt or damage the sport of cycling....

I can't see any good explanation as to why LeMond is testifying in this case. Unless he's going to say "I took testosterone and it had similar results to Landis's amazing comeback" he's pretty much a useless witness. They already have one expert witness on cycling as a sport, and that's Merkcx.

Still, it is possible he might have something useful to say. Velonews is running a series of articles by a guy who's in the courtroom everyday, i'll have a look at what he writes about what LeMond says in his testimony.

musette said:
Lemond can't testify that PEDs enhance performance if his position is that he never used PEDs. How would he know, under his own theory of his own innocence?
Actually this fits with Lemonds MO since retiring...blame his having to retire on everyone else doping. This goes right along with it and it's just another chance for him to tell his sob story. And to shoot down the inevitable comments about being a "hater", I am a huge Lemond fan, not a hater. He is the reason I started getting into racing in the mid 80's. As a matter of fact right above my computer desk is a framed copy of his Sports Illustrated 1989 Sportsman of the Year issue.

WBT- Why are you such a ******** all the time?

I'm not sure that Lemond's complaints are without base. In fact, I'm pretty sure that they are well-rooted in reason. I'm at the opposite end of the scale from you Lemond haters...I idolize the guy. No, he's not perfect...but he is, in my opinion, the finest American cyclist ever. Even to this day, Lemond loves the sport. That's a big difference between him and that other American cyclist that everyone seems to love...Lomond loves the sport, Armstrong loves the business.

Interesting that if someone disagrees with any of Lemond's actions or statements they are deemed a "hater". Double standard and hypocritical.

We'll never know if he was truly "clean" now will we. Unless, of course, you willing to accept his word on it.

His statements just seem self serving. Correct me if I'm wrong, but has he attacked the industry behind the doping or does he just speak out against a few (primarily American) riders.

Whatever you think of Lance and his 7 TdF wins, he's certainly done more good for more people through Livestrong than an embittered crank railing against his successors.

I'd like Lemond to take the charge (like Donati) against the "system" which promotes doping. Better that than his habit of concentrating his attacks against a "few bad apples" ...

Serafino said:
His statements just seem self serving. Correct me if I'm wrong, but has he attacked the industry behind the doping or does he just speak out against a few (primarily American) riders.
Recently he spoke from doping on french TV and he was saying that doping was widespread! I didn't remmber him quoting a particular riders.

Serafino said:
I'd like Lemond to take the charge (like Donati) against the "system" which promotes doping. Better that than his habit of concentrating his attacks against a "few bad apples" ...
If Donati can speak today it's only because before him there is others who have spoken like Bassons, Manzano, Gaumont, .... and Lemond. All doors cannot fall in one times

poulidor said:
Recently he spoke from doping on french TV and he was saying that doping was widespread! I didn't remmber him quoting a particular riders.

If Donati can speak today it's only because before him there is others who have speaken like Bassons, Manzano, Gaumont, .... and Lemond. All doors cannot fall in one times
Everyone calm down,

Hop on your RevMaster and we'll all be good.

[img=http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/3426/lemondrevmastermp1.jpg]

Serafino said:
Interesting that if someone disagrees with any of Lemond's actions or statements they are deemed a "hater".

. . . an embittered crank railing against his successors.

Yeah, the term "hater" is completely unfounded.

Big surprise is coming from the hearing, like an hollywood movie!
Lemond had been threatened by phone and by a friend of Landis to not testify.
The threat used was a revelation made to Floyd by Greg, Greg was abused sexualy when a child.

Very very sad what are able to do some cheaters!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Very BAD DAY for all us.

tcklyde said:
Holy ****.

Landis and his friends are total assholes.
This hearing just entered bizarro world. What the hell was Geoghegan thinking? Nice way to rip FLandis' balls off.

First time I met lemond I thought he was a social retard. The fact he is in the court room when he does not have to be there proves me right. Lemond is doing this not because he loves the sport.
After watching the actions of the cycling world in recent years I realize I am the social retard for even wasting a minute of my time enjoying a sport where the champions are assholes.......... All of them. {maybe not Indurain]
The worst thing about all this is the fact I am thinking maybe Hinault has more class then all the rest of them combined.

wolfix said:
First time I met lemond I thought he was a social retard. The fact he is in the court room when he does not have to be there proves me right. Lemond is doing this not because he loves the sport.
After watching the actions of the cycling world in recent years I realize I am the social retard for even wasting a minute of my time enjoying a sport where the champions are assholes.......... All of them. {maybe not Indurain]
The worst thing about all this is the fact I am thinking maybe Hinault has more class then all the rest of them combined.
Still ****** he bad mouthed Armstrong I see. Your real name isn't Will Geoghegan is it?

Lemond has been proved right about everything.

Landis must have been getting advice from Armstrong. FLandis threatening Lemond on the DP forums combined with Geoghegan idiotic phone call, which basically backs up that it was a FLandis defense strategy, will sink him. What is the chance that the neutral arb will want to side with Landis after this ****?

It looks like Geoghegan has been fired and is now looking for a lawyer to handle potential felony charges. Does the Landis hearing qualify in California as a legal proceeding?

Here's Landis' post that he made to DP:

"I did, as I used to do for some people, call GL privately to discuss some comments that he made about me and my situation. I used to believe that a private call was the best way to deal with public slander. I have subsequently learned that the phone call will become public and the contents thereof misconstrued into whatever fits the agenda. What Greg actualy divulged to me is what he does not want to talk about. I did not call for advice, I called to give him a chance to plead his case as to why he was speaking when he had never spoken to me nor met me in the past and in no way could be portrayed as knowing me personally. Unfortunately, the facts that he divulged to me in the hour which he spoke and gave no opportunity for me to do the same, would damage his character severely and I would rather not do what has been done to me. However, if he ever opens his mouth again and the word Floyd comes out, I will tell you all some things that you will wish you didn't know and unfortunately I will have entered the race to the bottom which is now in progress. For the record, I don't know Greg, and have no more respect for Greg than I have for people who go through life blaming others for all of their problems. You are not a victim of others Greg, you are a pathetic human who believes that if others didn't cheat (not sure about you) you would be the President and all the peasants would bow to your command. Join reality with the rest of us who win some and lose some and keep on smiling."

In LA Confidential by David Walsh - Greg LeMond stated that he was phoned by Armstrong who tried to intimidate him (LeMond).

It would appear that if Landis did phone LeMond - it wasn't the only tactic which Landis learned at DC.

Landis continues to dig his own grave.

This may be the end for Landis. The circus today is certain to get a lot of mainstream press, and it will make Landis and his posse look like assholes. Whatever thought he may have had about winning the case in the public's mind has been trashed.