US cycling legend LeMond to appear as witness against Landis

Ayotte is going to give the last blow(?). She said "Very good work from LNDD" and all samples are clearly positive!

Landis or/and his stupid friend(s) wanted to shoot Greg for finally nothing.

Bro Deal said:
This may be the end for Landis. The circus today is certain to get a lot of mainstream press, and it will make Landis and his posse look like assholes. Whatever thought he may have had about winning the case in the public's mind has been trashed.

The guy was finished when he was found to have doped.

Added to that, he's missed out on a year of cycling - he's missed out on all the money/prestige and potential sponsorship that comes with winning a GT title.

On top of that, he's spending thousands on lawyers trying to fight a case which - even if he were to win (and he won't) - cannot replace that year or so he's spent out of the sport.

What now appears to be unfolding is car crash stuff.
Landis is well and truly buried.

I despair for the legacy created by LeMond and Hampsten and guys like Jim Och : their legacy has been destroyed by Hamilton, Armstrong and now Landis.
Dreadful.

Bro Deal said:
This may be the end for Landis. The circus today is certain to get a lot of mainstream press, and it will make Landis and his posse look like assholes. Whatever thought he may have had about winning the case in the public's mind has been trashed.

Fark me ! What happened today ?????? I like this line.... and all you guys thought LeMond was a jerk... he's got guts....

The drama continued when LeMond, under direct questioning from USADA attorney Matt Barnett, said he received a phone call Wednesday night from a mysterious caller, who identified himself only as "Uncle Ron."
LeMond said he was perplexed at first, but that changed to concern when the caller made direct references to the conversation about sexual abuse that he had with Landis last August.

"Greg, this is your uncle and I'm going to be there tomorrow," LeMond quoted the caller as saying. "I'm going to be there and we can talk about how we used to hide your weenie."
The three-time Tour champ said the caller quickly hung up, and when LeMond redialed he got a voicemail message identifying the phone's owner as "Will."
"I got the picture right away," said LeMond. "I figured this was an effort at intimidation."

LeMond said he tried calling back several times, finally getting an answer from someone who identified himself only as "Bill." The conversation was inconclusive, and LeMond hung up and then called police. A subsequent check of the phone number that was saved on LeMond's mobile phone revealed that it belonged to Landis's business manager Will Geoghegan.
USADA counsel Barnett then pointed Geoghegan who was present in the courtroom, seated directly behind the Landis legal team.

Barnett proceeded to place a Witness Tampering report against Geoghegan up in the courtroom's overhead projector. Witness tampering is a felony in most states, including California. Meanwhile, Landis defense team's lead attorney Maurice Suh spent several minutes conferring with Geoghegan, whose face and neck were noticeably red.

They are destroying the sport, it's very sad. How stupid and nasty they are.
It's very hard to see that.

Eldrack said:
They already have one expert witness on cycling as a sport, and that's Merkcx.

E Merkcx would testify on behalf of Landis; Lemond, against him.

poulidor said:
They are destroying the sport, it's very sad. How stupid and nasty they are.
It's very hard to see that.

I agree.... i don't even know who won today’s Giro stage... this stuff is just plain sick.... I have to agree with Lim... DC have gotten away with intimidation for a long time and it’s become usual practice... I believe you've touched on this before.... but to intimidate someone who has been molested as a child is just sick.... digesting.... Landis must have been banking on the fact that LeMond would never talk about this in the cold light of day and in public... I'm horrified... truly horrified... Landis has killed cycling as we know it...

whiteboytrash said:
Fark me ! What happened today ?????? I like this line.... and all you guys thought LeMond was a jerk... he's got guts....

The drama continued when LeMond, under direct questioning from USADA attorney Matt Barnett, said he received a phone call Wednesday night from a mysterious caller, who identified himself only as "Uncle Ron."
LeMond said he was perplexed at first, but that changed to concern when the caller made direct references to the conversation about sexual abuse that he had with Landis last August.

"Greg, this is your uncle and I'm going to be there tomorrow," LeMond quoted the caller as saying. "I'm going to be there and we can talk about how we used to hide your weenie."
The three-time Tour champ said the caller quickly hung up, and when LeMond redialed he got a voicemail message identifying the phone's owner as "Will."
"I got the picture right away," said LeMond. "I figured this was an effort at intimidation."

LeMond said he tried calling back several times, finally getting an answer from someone who identified himself only as "Bill." The conversation was inconclusive, and LeMond hung up and then called police. A subsequent check of the phone number that was saved on LeMond's mobile phone revealed that it belonged to Landis's business manager Will Geoghegan.
USADA counsel Barnett then pointed Geoghegan who was present in the courtroom, seated directly behind the Landis legal team.

Barnett proceeded to place a Witness Tampering report against Geoghegan up in the courtroom's overhead projector. Witness tampering is a felony in most states, including California. Meanwhile, Landis defense team's lead attorney Maurice Suh spent several minutes conferring with Geoghegan, whose face and neck were noticeably red.

The very same tactics were employed by people in the Armstrong case.

Honest people who testified against Armstrong - received threatening phone calls trying to dissuade them from testifying.

Holy ****! This has become a sit-com! I would have never thought this of Landis.

musette said:
FLandis will need more than Merkcx to save his reputation. He needs an appearance by Jesus.

Bro Deal said:
Merkcx has jumped ship. He won't be testifying.

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if Landis broke down and confessed all.... Armstrong will be putting calls through tonight to Landis to "to sit tight, don't confess, I banked rolled this operation...we'll dig up some dirt on LeMond and fark him up, we'll get him..."

Landis can’t last… how can he possible keep this lie up … I guess he’ll rue the day he wanted a public hearing !

musette said:

Are you sure ? The house of cards is falling....

RUSSELS, May 17 (Reuters) - Five-time Tour de France winner Eddy Merckx has been called to testify in the Floyd Landis doping hearing but has refused, saying he knows nothing about it, Belgian media reported on Thursday.

Merckx's son Axel is a former team mate of Landis, who is battling to keep his 2006 Tour de France title after testing positive for elevated testosterone to epitestosterone levels.

Landis has denied taking performance enhancing drugs and is currently appearing before a U.S. arbitration hearing into the case taken by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency's (USADA).

Merckx, 61, winner of more Tour de France stages than any other cyclist, told Belgian TV: "I do not want to be mixed up in this, not from close by nor from afar. I have nothing to say and therefore will not testify.
"I know nothing about this business and I therefore don't see in what way I can help clarify things. I've asked myself why I have been invited to testify."

LeMond comments after todays events:
___

Lemond: The guy who threatened me last night, as I was leaving, admitted that he called me and treid to apologize. I plan on pursuing this through police. It was a real threat and it was very, I hate to say it, creepy. I think it shows the extent of who he is.

Q: Why do YOU think he did it?

Lemond: I mean, I think they didn’t want me coming here today. I don’t know why. If you didn’t do anything wrong, what would you object for me to be here.

I think if you read what he posted about me, I think there’s another side of Floyd the public has not seen. I was shocked last night. Absolutely shaking and shocked. I just think the comprehension of his team about sexual abuse, and people who were victims of sexual abuse is absolutely reprehensible. It shows the extent of either their ignorance, their lack of intelligence or who they really are. They are not good people.

It’s fully on record what he told me. And you can take what you want from that. Basically I was asked to show up here about my conversation with Floyd. Floyd assumed that I breached some secret pact we had and I never breached any pact. I wanted truly for this to go through the legal system and USADA and this arbitration and let the science and everything come out about the right or wrong.

You hear a lot of these athletes saying we should take down USADA, we should take down WADA, we should get rid of the UCI and today I say that thank God there’s WADA and USADA. Because we all know what’s happening to the sport of cycling. I love cycling. I care passionately about cycling. My son just got into bike riding last year, he’s got me riding again, he’s racing collegiate races, we’re going to the Tour de France this year to ride the L’Etape du Tour (a day when amateurs get to ride a stage of the Tour a day or so ahead of the race) I can just imagine my son entering a professional race today and being faced with the choice of either you dope or you don’t. I had a legal reason I didn’t answer things about Lance Armstrong, that’s been fairly common knowledge for many years, that’s why I didn’t answer. What he was trying to do was trying to portray me as (having) an ulterior motive. I put my whole bike company and my business at risk for standing up for proper ethics and honesty and I wish more people would do this in the sport of cycling. The sport is paying the price for the dishonesty and lies. The lies are starting to tumble. The house of cards is cracking and it’s coming down. I think it’s a good thing for cycling. I think the Tour de France is an incredible event and I think that as this culture and this generation of the past gets cleansed and they really really attack the issue of doping…. (doesn’t finish)

When I hear people say you cant win the Tour de France without doping, I did, and if everybody starts clean from point A to point B, you’re gonna have a winner crossing the finish line and I could tell you it would be more exciting. So I’m just here because I really believe in finding out the truth of what’s going on in cycling. I happened to not call Floyd, he called me and I was asked to testify.

Nobody owns me. Nobody in the world of cycling… there’s been a lot of people who do not want to look at the truth of what going on in cycling because of economics. I’ve had an economic fallout. If they’re trying to say I have an economic reason, I’ve had an economic fallout. I don’t really care because I’m not someone who can be bought off, silenced, I’m doing what’s right and what I felt was right was coming here and telling the truth.

whiteboytrash said:
I love cycling. I care passionately about cycling. My son just got into bike riding last year, he’s got me riding again, he’s racing collegiate races, we’re going to the Tour de France this year to ride the L’Etape du Tour (a day when amateurs get to ride a stage of the Tour a day or so ahead of the race)
I was thinking he looked thinner in some of those pictures, glad to see him cycling again atleast.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who isn't quite sure what to make of all this quite yet.

Just read the news on CN. What a sickening, sickening tale. Simply disgusting.

Good for Lemond for having the courage to testify and share his story despite the threats.

Sadly, the news surrounding cycling is getting worse by the day. This has to be a new low. I can't imagine how it could get much worse.

:(

Serafino said:
Just read the news on CN. What a sickening, sickening tale. Simply disgusting.

Good for Lemond for having the courage to testify and share his story despite the threats.

Sadly, the news surrounding cycling is getting worse by the day. This has to be a new low. I can't imagine how it could get much worse.

:(

Just read about all this on Velonews..... ARE YOU SERIOUS?! The pros in our sport are disgusting.

Does LeMonde have Mental issues?

Lets see, case 1, LeMonde gets a call from Armstrong asking why he is trashing him in the media. LeMonde then claims Armstrong admitted to doping. Why in the world even if he was a doper would Armstrong admit to that to a man who is trashing him in the media.

Fast forward to case2, LeMonde gets a call from Landis asking why he is trashing him in the media. Lets see, I'll admit to doping to him since that seemed to have worked out so well for Armstrong.... Not. LeMonde again claims said person admits to doping while on the phone.

Doesn't anyone see a pattern here.

As far as the rest of the story about the bussiness partner, Landis needs to pick his friends better.

One thing is for certain, the sponsors are going to be running from cycling now and I doubt DC will find a new sponsor.

Landis has now officially sunk below Tyler. The only thing he can do to save face at this point is apologize and come clean.

If you thought today was wild and crazy, wait until next week when the Elisa Basso, Floyd Landis sex tapes are revealed!!:eek: