US cycling legend LeMond to appear as witness against Landis

whiteboytrash

Mar 9, 2005
US cycling hero Greg LeMond, the first American to win the Tour de France, and a vocal critic of doping in cycling. LeMond won the Tour title in 1986, and then two more times in 1989 and '90. He was listed on the USADA side of the ledger, LeMond is considered the greatest American cyclist of all time.

whiteboytrash said:
US cycling hero Greg LeMond, the first American to win the Tour de France, and a vocal critic of doping in cycling. LeMond won the Tour title in 1986, and then two more times in 1989 and '90. He was listed on the USADA side of the ledger, LeMond is considered the greatest American cyclist of all time.
I saw him on the witness list. What could he possibly add? He cannot have any direct knowledge of the case. I wonder if he will jsut give background info about doping in cycling. Papp appears to be there to refute Landis' Chewbacca defense, where Landis claims taking testosterone for one stage does not make sense because it would not have an effect.

Bro Deal said:
I saw him on the witness list. What could he possibly add? He cannot have any direct knowledge of the case. I wonder if he will jsut give background info about doping in cycling. Papp appears to be there to refute Landis' Chewbacca defense, where Landis claims taking testosterone for one stage does not make sense because it would not have an effect.

LeMond is there to provide context.... he will provide the arbitrators with the detail on how drug using cyclist destroy cycling for those who are innocent. LeMond will provide his own account on how is career was cut short but those who used EPO. It will be a poignant moment in the hearing. Many pay thousands to hear LeMond speak and to think you can hear him for free at the trial. LeMond needs to be congratulated for taking anti-drug stance. Do you think Lance will appear for Landis ? Hell no ! Bruyneel ?

I am more stunned by Merckx as witness, it's not Axel, it's his father, the fabulous Eddy. Maybe he would speak from ormeta in cycling, or "pot belge".
Some ideas?

poulidor said:
I am more stunned by Mercks as witness, it's not Axel, it's his father, the fabulous Eddy. Maybe he would speak from ormeta in cycling, or "pot belge".
Some ideas?

Didn't Eddy have a few whisky's the night before stage 17 ? I think he did.... what can Eddy tell us all ? That’s hard work along wins the Tour ? That’s like getting Ferrari up to give a character reference !

whiteboytrash said:
LeMond is there to provide context.... he will provide the arbitrators with the detail on how drug using cyclist destroy cycling for those who are innocent. LeMond will provide his own account on how is career was cut short but those who used EPO. It will be a poignant moment in the hearing. Many pay thousands to hear LeMond speak and to think you can hear him for free at the trial. LeMond needs to be congratulated for taking anti-drug stance. Do you think Lance will appear for Landis ? Hell no ! Bruyneel ?
Bruyneel can tell us all how Landis deceived him... ;) Armstrong can answer, "EP-what?," when questioned about EPO.

I don't see what relevance Lemond's story has even though I believe he was screwed by EPO users in the early nineties. It was fifteen years ago, though.

With Merckx there it is like each side is preparing to play to the mob rather than deal with the scientific facts.

whiteboytrash said:
I dont think anyone on this forum needs a history lesson on Greg Lemond. The only thing informative about your post was that he was listed on the USADA side of the ledger. Maybe you should stroke yourself instead of your post count. :p

Lemond is one of the last old rider before EPO so he should tell about what is possible on a bike. Maybe he should tell that the today performance are too great to be true. He could speak from average speed on ITT or on passes. Maybe he would speak from his 2 phone chats with Landis after sample A !

poulidor said:
Lemond is one of the last old rider before EPO so he should tell about what is possible on a bike. Maybe he should tell that the today performance are too great to be true. He could speak from average speed on ITT or on passes. Maybe he would speak from his 2 phone chats with Landis after sample A !
It'll be interesting to see if he actually expresses the opinion that FL was/wasn't doping. I listened to an audio interview last year in which Lemond specifically stated that the power levels in last year's TdF were back down to a level that might be possible without super doping.

fbircher said:
It'll be interesting to see if he actually expresses the opinion that FL was/wasn't doping. I listened to an audio interview last year in which Lemond specifically stated that the power levels in last year's TdF were back down to a level that might be possible without super doping.

I would think Lemond is jelous of every american who wins the Tour or another big race. It takes the spotlight more and more away from him so he needs to make damaging, hurtful comments to get himself attention. I cant see what he could possibly add. What an asshole.

I'd be wary of any old time rider professing to be as pure as the driven snow. Its a bit self serving IMO.

I may be wrong, but Lemond strikes me as a bit of an embittered character. Don't know if he'd have it against any American rider who equalled or bettered his legacy. I'm sure he'd like to have been the only US rider to have won the TdF.

That said, great rider and an inspiration back in the 1980's. Whether he was truly "clean" is another matter.

Are we now claiming that Big Mig was on EPO since he ended Greg's TdF career?

fbircher said:

Somehow I don't think USADA would be calling him as a witness if he were likely to say that. It would not be appropriate to ask him that question in a legal proceeding, he's not in a position to be an expert on whether an individual was doping.

He is in a position to be an expert on what happens when large numbers of riders go on the high tech juice. Probably more than anyone.

JohnO said:
Somehow I don't think USADA would be calling him as a witness if he were likely to say that. It would not be appropriate to ask him that question in a legal proceeding, he's not in a position to be an expert on whether an individual was doping.

He is in a position to be an expert on what happens when large numbers of riders go on the high tech juice. Probably more than anyone.
I think you are probably right about why USADA is calling him. If so, I'll be disappointed in USADA. This case isn't about the effects of doping on a grand scale, it's about the positive test of a single rider. The big picture discussion should happen elsewhere.

On another note, it's funny to see all the Lemond Haters come out of the woodwork. Can anyone think of anything Lemond did that hurt cycling?

whiteboytrash said:
No one pays Lemond anything to speak. At the yearly ride around here Lemond has shown up twice and not very many people even knew who he was. Armstrong showed up last year....20,000 people rode that day. Documented. Armstrong is riding again this year.
Even where he lives not many people even acknowledge who he is. He is better known in Europe then he is even here where he lives.
He is doing this for a basic simple reason....... he is a buisnessman. His stock as America's greatest cyclist has dropped to nothing. His financial career has taken a hit in the courts. Financially , and Greg is nothing but a financial interest man, he is better off if Armstrong is destroyed. Landis is better known then Lemond in America.
Gregs interest is in money. It always has been.

* as my college girlfriend said after we dealt with him......."what a whiner."

fscyclist said:
Can anyone think of anything Lemond did that hurt cycling?
Lemond accused Armstrong of doping. That's enough for the True Believers to crucify him, even though he was twice the natural talent and a much better American cycling ambassador than Armstrong ever was.
And Serafino, according to Davy's court testimony during the Festina hearings in France, Indurain did use EPO.

Leafer said:
Lemond accused Armstrong of doping. That's enough for the True Believers to crucify him,
Not at all true. Greg's entire involvment in this issue is about Greg. Greg has always been about Greg. If you follow Lemond's business issue's it is obvious what this is about. Lemond lost a huge chunk of money 2 years ago in a court case simply because it was proven he was not marketable to the American public. The financial stakes are high for a retired cyclist. Lemond has a lifestyle that needs cash.
He is not in demand anywhere except maybe on the geezer talk tour. Greg's involvement in this trial is not about drugs or professional racing. It is about keeping his status as America's #1 cyclist. In his mind anyway. He became a has been on the marketing end of things when LA brought cycling to American mainstream. Greg wants acknowledgement from the public of his accomplishments. He never recieved that when he was a great rider. LA has, and even Floyd has.

Greg was a great rider. But he dimished his rep here the US when he became vocal about a issue that the public really cared less about.And when him and his wife's obsession with bringing LA down in the insurance trial became public , we got to see what Greg Lemond is like off the bike.
A champion on the bike does not make a good person.

What I think is great is that they are bringing Lemond in as a witness in a drug case, be he claims to have no knowledge of anything concerning dope.
But Eddy is going to testify for Landis, and we know he has a full grasp of doping.
Looking at it this way, what we see is a has been, over weight whiner who was only capable of winning 3 TDFs' ...... And that is pathetic.
Champions like LA and Eddy win numerous ones. 3TDF's ? And Greg thinks anyone knows who he is? :)