US Military Violates International Law, Again

Jim Smith wrote:

> Lets see, we could change a couple of words and get a statement just
> as true:
>
> It's completely lost on Scott and his ilk that the Iraqis over there
> are people just like them, and that many of them fully believe that
> what they're doing is important.
>
> Make no mistake, at this point I believe we need to win over there,
> but one has gots to love the irony.

You're talking about the Iraqi soldiers fighting
alongside our troops against the foreign fighters
trying to destabilize the country, right?

Sure you are.

--
Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com

Top Sirloin <[email protected]> writes:

> It's completely lost on Todd and his ilk that our soldiers over there
> are people just like them, and that many of them fully believe that
> what they're doing is important.

Lets see, we could change a couple of words and get a statement just
as true:

It's completely lost on Scott and his ilk that the Iraqis over there
are people just like them, and that many of them fully believe that
what they're doing is important.

Make no mistake, at this point I believe we need to win over there,
but one has gots to love the irony.

> And moreover they don't understand
> that regardless of your political inclinations, the ONLY acceptable
> course of action in a situation like the one with the aforementioned
> Marine is to shut up and trust that the Marine Corps will take care of
> it. It was NOT an official action of the US Government and therefore
> not even in the realm of political discussion.

Not sure why the insistence on "shutting up." Anyways, yeah, it is
only political because the whole question of what the hell we are
doing over there in the first place is political.

Jim Smith wrote in part:

>Make no mistake, at this point I believe we need to win over there,
>but one has gots to love the irony.

Too late for that. We lost Iraq as soon
as we went in with about half the necessary
troops. Now there will only be degrees of
losing while claiming victory.

Robert

Top Sirloin <[email protected]> writes:

> Jim Smith wrote:
>
> > Lets see, we could change a couple of words and get a statement just
> > as true:
> > It's completely lost on Scott and his ilk that the Iraqis over
> > there
> > are people just like them, and that many of them fully believe that
> > what they're doing is important. Make no mistake, at this point I
> > believe we need to win over there,
> > but one has gots to love the irony.

> You're talking about the Iraqi soldiers fighting alongside our troops
> against the foreign fighters trying to destabilize the country, right?
>
> Sure you are.

The reports yesterday were that less than 1 percent of the dead were
foreign. Maybe the foreigners were just better at not getting killed?
Or what?

Jose Rizal wrote:

>> Peter-a retired USN Naval Aviator, who flew Navy Fighters for 20
>> years.

> You mention this as if it legitimizes your leniency in aforementioned
> soldier's behavior. Your military record is irrelevant to your
> opinion, as is mine.

Opinions are like elbows, everybody has two. But _having served_ in the
military does give one some insights and experiences to form a *more
informed* opinion than others who merely state what's on their brain at a
given moment.

I would much rather listen to, and talk with someone who has had experience
with a subject that I disagree with, than someone who totally argrees with
me with no experience. I have never spoken with Peter, other than to make an
enquiry to his shop, yet I respect him much more than the usual gang of
posters here because he's lived the military life we're debating about.

Todd Kuzma wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "B i l l S o r n s o n" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Todd Kuzma wrote:
>>
>>> How would you feel if you saw Al Jazeera broadcasting footage of
>>> insurgents shooting a wounded and unarmed US soldier? Would that be
>>> OK with you?

>> I'll tell you what: if US soldiers booby-trapped the bodies of
>> their fallen comrades, pretended to be dead and then opened fire,
>> waved flags of surrender to lure victims out in the open, and used
>> other such tactics, then I'd be a lot less shocked or outraged if
>> (or rather when) that occurred.

> But wait, if we have no standards for conduct during war, it would be
> perfectly OK if US soldiers did that, wouldn't it? Either there are
> standards or not.

The point, Todd, is that these tactics ARE being used by insurgents and
rogue mercenaries wearing NO uniform and answering to no command authority.
US (and allied Iraqi) soldiers are entitiled to protect themselves /given
the conditions met/ and not some idealized war movie script.

> When the insurgents use tactics like those you describe, we can
> clearly condemn them for violating international law and the accepted
> standards of warfare. Unfortunately, like John Kerry, we want to have
> it both ways. We want others to follow these laws, but we don't want
> to be burdened with them ourselves.

You couldn't have it more backwards.

> We want to condemn Saddam Hussein for invading another country in
> violation of international law, but then we violate the same law
> ourselves.

Did Kuwait vilolate 20-some UN Resolutions and threaten its neighbors?

> We prosecute Milosevic and others for war crimes in accordance with
> international law but refuse to allow any American to be similarly
> prosecuted.

{jaw open but no words come out}

--
"Sorry the world just does not work by your white penis ass."
-- Pungent Cloud

B i l l S o r n s o n wrote:
> Todd Kuzma wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>,

>>> I'll tell you what: if US soldiers booby-trapped the bodies of
>>> their fallen comrades, pretended to be dead and then opened fire,
>>> waved flags of surrender to lure victims out in the open, and used
>>> other such tactics, then I'd be a lot less shocked or outraged if
>>> (or rather when) that occurred.

>> But wait, if we have no standards for conduct during war, it would be
>> perfectly OK if US soldiers did that, wouldn't it? Either there are
>> standards or not.

> The point, Todd, is that these tactics ARE being used by insurgents
> and rogue mercenaries wearing NO uniform and answering to no command
> authority. US (and allied Iraqi) soldiers are entitiled to protect
> themselves /given the conditions met/ and not some idealized war
> movie script.
>
>> When the insurgents use tactics like those you describe, we can
>> clearly condemn them for violating international law and the accepted
>> standards of warfare. Unfortunately, like John Kerry, we want to have
>> it both ways. We want others to follow these laws, but we don't want
>> to be burdened with them ourselves.

> You couldn't have it more backwards.
>
>> We want to condemn Saddam Hussein for invading another country in
>> violation of international law, but then we violate the same law
>> ourselves.

> Did Kuwait vilolate 20-some UN Resolutions and threaten its neighbors?
>
>> We prosecute Milosevic and others for war crimes in accordance with
>> international law but refuse to allow any American to be similarly
>> prosecuted.

> {jaw open but no words come out}

Todd: You should quit while your're behind!

"B i l l S o r n s o n" <[email protected]> writes:

> The point, Todd, is that these tactics ARE being used by insurgents and
> rogue mercenaries wearing NO uniform and answering to no command authority.
> US (and allied Iraqi) soldiers are entitiled to protect themselves /given
> the conditions met/ and not some idealized war movie script.

So you agree with our new Attorney General that the Geneva Conventions are "quaint?"

--
Let the eagle soar!

Jim Smith wrote:
> "B i l l S o r n s o n" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> The point, Todd, is that these tactics ARE being used by insurgents
>> and rogue mercenaries wearing NO uniform and answering to no command
>> authority. US (and allied Iraqi) soldiers are entitiled to protect
>> themselves /given the conditions met/ and not some idealized war
>> movie script.

> So you agree with our new Attorney General that the Geneva
> Conventions are "quaint?"

Nice try.
--
BS (no, really)

"B i l l S o r n s o n" <[email protected]> writes:

> Jim Smith wrote:
> > "B i l l S o r n s o n" <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> >> The point, Todd, is that these tactics ARE being used by insurgents
> >> and rogue mercenaries wearing NO uniform and answering to no command
> >> authority. US (and allied Iraqi) soldiers are entitiled to protect
> >> themselves /given the conditions met/ and not some idealized war
> >> movie script.

> > So you agree with our new Attorney General that the Geneva
> > Conventions are "quaint?"

> Nice try.

Thats a "yes" right?

--
Let the eagle soar!

B i l l S o r n s o n wrote:
> Todd Kuzma wrote:
>
>>In article <[email protected]>,
>> "B i l l S o r n s o n" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Todd Kuzma wrote:
>>>

>>But wait, if we have no standards for conduct during war, it would be
>>perfectly OK if US soldiers did that, wouldn't it? Either there are
>>standards or not.

> The point, Todd, is that these tactics ARE being used by insurgents and
> rogue mercenaries wearing NO uniform and answering to no command authority.
> US (and allied Iraqi) soldiers are entitiled to protect themselves /given
> the conditions met/ and not some idealized war movie script.

Yes, and the US military has established guidelines for our
troops to follow when fighting in those conditions. If an
individual soldier fails to follow those guidelines, then it
is up to military command to decide how to handle it.
However, it the guidelines themselves violate international
law, that is an important consideration. If we don't stand
for the rule of law, then who will?

>>When the insurgents use tactics like those you describe, we can
>>clearly condemn them for violating international law and the accepted
>>standards of warfare. Unfortunately, like John Kerry, we want to have
>>it both ways. We want others to follow these laws, but we don't want
>>to be burdened with them ourselves.

> You couldn't have it more backwards.

How do you mean?

>>We want to condemn Saddam Hussein for invading another country in
>>violation of international law, but then we violate the same law
>>ourselves.

> Did Kuwait vilolate 20-some UN Resolutions and threaten its neighbors?

Iraq certainly had grievances with Kuwait, whether justified
or not. The point is that Iraq had a process that they
*should* have gone through to resolve those grievances.
They failed to do so and violated international law in the
process. The US also failed to follow the established
process and violated the law.

It's a bit ironic that you use the violation of law by Iraq
to justify our own violation of that law. Is the law
legitimate or not? If it is legitimate, then shouldn't we
follow it? If it isn't legitimate, then it would be pretty
hard to enforce.

By the way, our friends the Israelis are the pros when it
comes to violating UN resolutions and attacking their
neighbors. Yet, we don't invade them. Instead, we give
them several billion dollars of military aid a year. This
double standard creates a lot of problems for the US in the
Mideast, and it is time that we recognize it.

>>We prosecute Milosevic and others for war crimes in accordance with
>>international law but refuse to allow any American to be similarly
>>prosecuted.

> {jaw open but no words come out}

I think that it's frightening that you cannot see the
problem here. What that says is that you believe there
should be two sets of laws, one for Americans, and one for
everyone else. This reeks of Orwell's "All animals are
equal but some are more equal than others." That elitist
arrogance is what breeds anti-American sentiment around the
world. We need to stop the childish belief that the only
possible reason that anyone could not like us is because
they are insane.

If we had a rogue commander in the field openly murdering
civilians or commiting some other atrocity, the position of
the US is that this person should not be prosecuted under
international law. However, the US also believes that any
non-American who commits similar war crimes *should* be
prosecuted under international law.

And we wonder why people in other countries think that we
are arrogant!

Todd Kuzma

Qui si parla Campagnolo :

> Jose writes-"<< Your logic implies that any and all criminal transgressions by
> soldiers
> can be forgiven because of their "tough job" fighting the "enemy" and
> they're "doing their best". That's just nonsense.
> >><BR><BR>

> I write-"I didn't say that. It should be investigated but I think any civilian,
> sitting in a warm room in the US, typing away on his computer needs to step
> back, and TRY to put himself in these guys boots. I know that can't be done but
> taking one little sliver of information off the TV and then shouting 'we're
> killing prisoners' is just total ********."

Who is doing that, apart from the sensationalist media? Your argument,
however, took on the form of "poor grunt in tough military life doing
his best against the "enemy'", which is just as misguided as the
sensationalist media.

> "You also take quite a leap by calling our soldiers invaders and occupiers.
> They are but the grunt or soldier on the groud, well led, intelligent and
> motivated', is doing the job that he is trained to do, kill people and break
> things.

US soldiers are the face of the enemy for the Iraqis fighting in their
own country. These soldiers, as you eloquently say, kill people and
break things in a country they invaded and are occupying, yet you think
they don't deserve the labels invaders and occupiers. You'd be
hilarious, if it weren't for the seriousness of the topic.

> He is not a political person, he does not make those distinctions of
> the whys,

No, he just "kills people and break things", as you say, as if these
soldiers are automatons without mind. But then you say earlier that
they are "well led, intelligent and motivated". Yet to you they are
absolved of the killings and destruction they cause because they're just
"doing the job he is trained to do". Your convoluted reasoning which
doesn't pass as logic is quite incredible.

> the civilian leadership via the SecDef and POTUS does.

Them too.

> "They are not 'going loco', not shooting up the place like some cowboys. Did
> you see the video and actually listen to the circumstances?. Enter a building,
> see fighters wounded or dead. One moves, the unit has seen and lost people to
> booby traped wounded and dead. How do ya suppose the Marine KNEW the guy wasted
> going for a gub or grenade??."

Look closely at the video. Listen to the soldier who says "these are
the wounded that have been treated and left behind by our guys". Then
look at the posture of the soldiers: relaxed, almost casual. Then
listen at the guy who yells "He's faking", then the casual act of
shooting the wounded Iraqi. How do ya suppose the Marine KNEW the guy
was indeed going for a gun or grenade? He didn't, he just fired. Sure,
everything needs to be investigated in this case, but you trying to
excuse the soldier, faced with the same perspective I have and the lack
of further insight into the incident, is foolish.

> " I think you need to do some research anto determine what an armed combatant
> is and when he stops being one."

I think you're the one who needs to revise the Geneva Conventions and
see the outline of what constitutes an armed combatant and an unarmed
prisoner. While at it, also look at how unarmed combatants are supposed
to be treated. It's easy, many newspapers quote the relevant passages.

> YOU write again-"<< You mention this as if it legitimizes your leniency in
> aforementioned
> soldier's behavior. Your military record is irrelevant to your opinion,
> as is mine. >><BR><BR>
>
> I write-" well bucco, I have been in the military and I think I have a better
> handle on how the miltary works, how combat works....As a civilian, you do not.
> My experience in the military makes all the difference in this instance."

Well, "bucco", I'll see your experience as a distanced pilot in the
Navy, and raise you my experience as a grunt on the ground. Your
experience as an aviator has no significance whatsoever when you try to
talk of how things are with the "grunt on the ground".

Dave Thompson:

> Jose Rizal wrote:
>
> >> Peter-a retired USN Naval Aviator, who flew Navy Fighters for 20
> >> years.

> > You mention this as if it legitimizes your leniency in aforementioned
> > soldier's behavior. Your military record is irrelevant to your
> > opinion, as is mine.

> Opinions are like elbows, everybody has two. But _having served_ in the
> military does give one some insights and experiences to form a *more
> informed* opinion than others who merely state what's on their brain at a
> given moment.

Really? You think a retired pilot has more insight into a current
situation involving soldiers on the ground face-to-face with opponents?
Heck, even my experience as a grunt hardly qualifies me to excuse
shooting an unarmed wounded opponent.

> I would much rather listen to, and talk with someone who has had experience
> with a subject that I disagree with, than someone who totally argrees with
> me with no experience.

Good for you, you just keep doing that.

> I have never spoken with Peter, other than to make an
> enquiry to his shop, yet I respect him much more than the usual gang of
> posters here because he's lived the military life we're debating about.

Ah, the blissful faith of the ignorant, putting his belief on the sacred
American military and the wise, infallible people who serve/served in
it. Think about that for a moment.

Jose Rizal wrote:
> Dave Thompson:

>>> You mention this as if it legitimizes your leniency in
>>> aforementioned soldier's behavior. Your military record is
>>> irrelevant to your opinion, as is mine.

>> Opinions are like elbows, everybody has two. But _having served_ in
>> the military does give one some insights and experiences to form a
>> *more informed* opinion than others who merely state what's on their
>> brain at a given moment.

> Really? You think a retired pilot has more insight into a current
> situation involving soldiers on the ground face-to-face with
> opponents? Heck, even my experience as a grunt hardly qualifies me to
> excuse shooting an unarmed wounded opponent.
>
>> I would much rather listen to, and talk with someone who has had
>> experience with a subject that I disagree with, than someone who
>> totally argrees with me with no experience.

> Good for you, you just keep doing that.
>
>> I have never spoken with Peter, other than to make an
>> enquiry to his shop, yet I respect him much more than the usual gang
>> of posters here because he's lived the military life we're debating
>> about.

> Ah, the blissful faith of the ignorant, putting his belief on the
> sacred American military and the wise, infallible people who
> serve/served in it. Think about that for a moment.

Me? Blissful and ignorant? Not hardly. What are your palmares Mr. Rizal? I
think I met several others like you in the '60's

Java Man wrote:

> says...
> >

> > Java Man wrote:
> > >

> > > Dead is dead, and it doesn't much
> > > matter how it happens.

> > Actually it does matter... a lot. For example, manslaughter is a much
> > different way of getting dead than murder and the law recognizes this.

> Tell it to the dead.

You want to smear everything to the same shade of grey, simply to
further your political agenda. That's not very nuanced for a political
group who claims to be the kings of nuance.

> > You live in a fantasy land of equivalence. There is isn't any -- there
> > never has been and never will be. This inability to discriminate is
> > typical more of the "left wing" than the "right wing," as things go.
> > The "left" is more highly associated with "equivalence of result" than
> > the "right," which is more concerned with "equivalence of opportunity."
> > Of course, to have such an equivalence of result destroys the very
> > notion of diversity. The "left" hates diversity by action if not by
> > words. This is one of the key, if not the most key, aspect of the
> > current bankruptcy of the "left."
> >

> Whatever.

Not "whatever." The "left" is replete with back-door bigots.

So why are you spraying this **** into a bike tech ng?

g-spot wrote:

> Todd Kuzma wrote:
>

>>The soldier in question has been temporarily relieved of
>>duty, and a criminal investigation has begun.

> So why are you spraying this **** into a bike tech ng?

There is a little known clause in the military judicial code
which states that an investigatory tribunal cannot be
convened until the matter is discussed on a bicycling
newsgroup. You can look it up.

Todd Kuzma

Jose writes-<< Really? You think a retired pilot has more insight into a
current
situation involving soldiers on the ground face-to-face with opponents?
Heck, even my experience as a grunt hardly qualifies me to excuse
shooting an unarmed wounded opponent. >><BR><BR>

I answered-"You bet I do unless you have experience in the military. Do you
Jose? you mentioned your experience as a 'grunt'. No need to excuse the guy
that did the shooting. In my mind, given the circumstances, I think he did the
right thing and he will be exonerated, i am confident.

Jose then says-<< Ah, the blissful faith of the ignorant, putting his belief on
the sacred
American military and the wise, infallible people who serve/served in
it. Think about that for a moment. >><BR><BR>

I answered. "your gripe is with the civilaian leadership and this war, fine and
dandy, on that we agree. BUT before you critisize the guy on the ground, you
had better thank your lucky stars there are people willingly doing the
'toughest job' there is...so civilians can sit on their collective fat asses
and say any stupid thing they want and not fear..."

"There are times in the past and there will be in the future where you had
better put your faith in the military, oh life long civilian, or you will be
either dying or your feet or living on your knees...you choose".

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Jose writes-<< Your argument,
however, took on the form of "poor grunt in tough military life doing
his best against the "enemy'", which is just as misguided as the
sensationalist media. >><BR><BR>

I say, " thanks for trying to put words in my mouth. Not what I said and not
what I mean. Marines doing a tough job in a tough place. Trying to do his job,
protecting his buddies. Never said 'poor' and these guys really have their ****
together."

You are a sensationalist civilian who is no doubt gleeful that this guy may
have made a mistake. Your other posts show your desdain for the military, altho
you have no personal experience with it.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Jose writes again-<< These soldiers, as you eloquently say, kill people and
break things in a country they invaded and are occupying, yet you think
they don't deserve the labels invaders and occupiers. You'd be
hilarious, if it weren't for the seriousness of the topic.

> He is not a political person, he does not make those distinctions of
> the whys,

No, he just "kills people and break things", as you say, as if these
soldiers are automatons without mind. But then you say earlier that
they are "well led, intelligent and motivated". Yet to you they are
absolved of the killings and destruction they cause because they're just
"doing the job he is trained to do". Your convoluted reasoning which
doesn't pass as logic is quite incredible.

I say-I'll guess I haver to label you an incredibly ignorant civilian then. You
have no concept of what the military is, how they operate, how they are led.
<< But then you say earlier that
they are "well led, intelligent and motivated". Yet to you they are
absolved of the killings and destruction they cause because they're just
"doing the job he is trained to do". Your convoluted reasoning which
doesn't pass as logic is quite incredible >><BR><BR>

That's not convoluted but it's called combat, as in 'war'. I suppose all these
guys should be tried for murder then??

Jose<< He didn't, he just fired. Sure,
everything needs to be investigated in this case, but you trying to
excuse the soldier, faced with the same perspective I have and the lack
of further insight into the incident, is foolish. >><BR><BR>

I write-
'Different perspectives of the same incident. i think he did the right thing.
You can spout your indignation as he is absolved of doing anything wrong.

Jose-<< and raise you my experience as a grunt on the ground. Your
experience as an aviator has no significance whatsoever when you try to
talk of how things are with the "grunt on the ground". >><BR><BR>

I ask-"when and where, what units, what time frame. it may sound like I don't
believe that you were a grunt...cuz I don't.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302