us motorists are gas sucking whining energy pigs

Dane Jackson <[email protected]> wrote:

> Chalo wrote:
> >
> > In these respect and others I find Seattle grocers
> > generally lacking compared to those in Austin...The
> > whole grocery issue is one of the more baffling and
> > frustrating details of Seattle life.
>
> Which part of Seattle are you in?

Near 20th and Madison, in the little drug-dealy patch
wedged between uber-hip Capitol Hill and uber-gentrified
Madison Valley.

> I'm just about at the intersection of I-5 and I-90, and I
> don't feel things are that dire.

Don't go grocery shopping in Austin, then; you'll get
spoiled. Only east Asian grocers in Seattle surpass their
Austin counterparts. The grocery portion of the Fred Meyer
in Ballard is just par for an Austin supermarket. The rest
do not compare. At least in Seattle we have Trader Joe's for
consolation.

On a related note: a few years ago, I heard that the Lamar
Avenue Central Market in Austin (flagship store of the
overwhelmingly successful HEB chain) was the second biggest
tourist destination there, after the State Capitol. It is
worth a look if you pass that way.
http://centralmarket.com/cm/index.jsp

Chalo Colina

"Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dane Jackson <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Chalo wrote:
> > >
> > > In these respect and others I find Seattle grocers
> > > generally lacking compared to those in Austin...The
> > > whole grocery issue is one of the more baffling and
> > > frustrating details of Seattle life.
> >
> > Which part of Seattle are you in?
>
> Near 20th and Madison, in the little drug-dealy patch
> wedged between uber-hip Capitol Hill and uber-gentrified
> Madison Valley.
>
> > I'm just about at the intersection of I-5 and I-90, and
> > I don't feel things are that dire.
>
> Don't go grocery shopping in Austin, then; you'll get
> spoiled. Only east Asian grocers in Seattle surpass their
> Austin counterparts. The grocery portion of the Fred Meyer
> in Ballard is just par for an Austin supermarket. The rest
> do not compare. At least in Seattle we have Trader Joe's
> for consolation.

I'm having a hard time imagining that Austin has such fine
grocers. I haven't been to Austin but I have shopped all
over the country while camping/traveling including other
Texas cities and I have yet to find markets that are as good
in the middle of the country as they are on the west and
east coasts, including Seattle.

Greg

G.T. wrote:

> I'm having a hard time imagining that Austin has such fine
> grocers. I haven't been to Austin but I have shopped all
> over the country while camping/traveling including other
> Texas cities and I have yet to find markets that are as
> good in the middle of the country as they are on the west
> and east coasts, including Seattle.

Austin is very cosmopolitan, despite being in Texas. :)

Matt O.

Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dane Jackson <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Which part of Seattle are you in?
>
> Near 20th and Madison, in the little drug-dealy patch
> wedged between uber-hip Capitol Hill and uber-gentrified
> Madison Valley.

Ah, basically you're fairly close to where I live.

>> I'm just about at the intersection of I-5 and I-90, and I
>> don't feel things are that dire.
>
> Don't go grocery shopping in Austin, then; you'll get
> spoiled. Only east Asian grocers in Seattle surpass their
> Austin counterparts. The grocery portion of the Fred Meyer
> in Ballard is just par for an Austin supermarket. The rest
> do not compare. At least in Seattle we have Trader Joe's
> for consolation.

I buy a lot of things from the Asian grocers (because most
of my cooking is Indian, Chinese, and other regions [1]), so
that probably explains why I'm reasonably content. Plus I
can always hit Pike Place for most of the rest of my needs.
I still haven't found a really good cheesemonger
unfortunately. I am looking forward to the Trader Joes
opening up on 17th & Madison.

[1] Not terribly fond of typical American fair.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved