US Postal after Lance then who will lead???

Heinz Getzler

Guest
US Postal after Lance then who will lead??? A big question for US Postal and US Pro racing is who
succeeed Lance?? Now it's still a ways off, but US Postal needs to start considering now.......US
postal could end up like Banesto with no riders able to contend a major tour. Now they have Roberto
Heras or Manuel Beltran.....But they will be a little old when Lance retires..

One of the problems with US Postal is that it has this Lance cult. Almost everything revolves around
Lance, expcept for the fall season. After late August Lance goes back to the US and maybe the
worlds. It's really too bad that most teams do not have junior teams any more. Banesto and Renault
had a really big farming team structure and this is what made them great.

Next year Postal signs Tom Danielson (they tried to already). He rides a year for Lance while Lance
goes for six. Then Danielson becomes team leader and the next great US stage racer -- unless he
becomes like Jan Ullrich.

Bob C.

"Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> US Postal after Lance then who will lead??? A big question for US Postal and US Pro racing is who
> succeeed Lance?? Now it's still a ways off, but US Postal needs to start considering now.......US
> postal could end up like Banesto with no riders able to contend a major tour. Now they have
> Roberto Heras or Manuel Beltran.....But they will be a little old when Lance retires..
>
> One of the problems with US Postal is that it has this Lance cult. Almost everything revolves
> around Lance, expcept for the fall season. After late August Lance goes back to the US and maybe
> the worlds. It's really too bad that most teams do not have junior teams any more. Banesto and
> Renault had a really big farming team structure and this is what made them great.

Postal contract is up in 2004..end of season........I bet they Do not reup! So that will be the end

On 30 May 2003 18:09:38 -0700, [email protected] (Heinz Getzler) wrote:

>US Postal after Lance then who will lead??? A big question for US Postal and US Pro racing is who
>succeeed Lance?? Now it's still a ways off, but US Postal needs to start considering now.......US
>postal could end up like Banesto with no riders able to contend a major tour. Now they have Roberto
>Heras or Manuel Beltran.....But they will be a little old when Lance retires..
>
>One of the problems with US Postal is that it has this Lance cult. Almost everything revolves
>around Lance, expcept for the fall season. After late August Lance goes back to the US and maybe
>the worlds. It's really too bad that most teams do not have junior teams any more. Banesto and
>Renault had a really big farming team structure and this is what made them great.

I would love to see Levi back with them. If not, look for Heras.

Lindsay
----------------------------
"One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the
difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's
remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license."

P.J. O'Rourke

> Postal contract is up in 2004..end of season........I bet they Do not
reup!
> So that will be the end of it.

Correct! Too bad 7-11 is in Indy racing, or they could take back the team.

I'll bet they don't renew their team sponsorship. Perhaps Tommy Weasel will go back to the US Ski
Federation to play.

On Sat, 31 May 2003 11:09:03 +0000, B. Lafferty wrote:

> I'll bet they don't renew their team sponsorship. Perhaps Tommy Weasel will go back to the US Ski
> Federation to play.

Right on baby!!

I gotta hundred bucks says that when Davey Crockett heads off to the Alamo, USPS will be there too
and that will be the last you hear of aither if them

[email protected] (Heinz Getzler) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> US Postal after Lance then who will lead??? A big question for US Postal and US Pro racing is who
> succeeed Lance?? Now it's still a ways off, but US Postal needs to start considering now.......US
> postal could end up like Banesto with no riders able to contend a major tour. Now they have
> Roberto Heras or Manuel Beltran.....But they will be a little old when Lance retires..
>
> One of the problems with US Postal is that it has this Lance cult. Almost everything revolves
> around Lance, expcept for the fall season. After late August Lance goes back to the US and maybe
> the worlds. It's really too bad that most teams do not have junior teams any more. Banesto and
> Renault had a really big farming team structure and this is what made them great.

Who ever berry floors wants to. cuz they will be the lead sponsor in 2 years anyways

lets not forget that the team is really run by some outfit in San Fransico...................

"chris II" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Heinz Getzler) wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > US Postal after Lance then who will lead??? A big question for US Postal and US Pro racing is
> > who succeeed Lance?? Now it's still a ways off, but US Postal needs to start considering
> > now.......US postal could end up like Banesto with no riders able to contend a major tour. Now
> > they have Roberto Heras or Manuel Beltran.....But they will be a little old when Lance retires..
> >
> > One of the problems with US Postal is that it has this Lance cult. Almost everything revolves
> > around Lance, expcept for the fall season. After late August Lance goes back to the US and maybe
> > the worlds. It's really too bad that most teams do not have junior teams any more. Banesto and
> > Renault had a really big farming team structure and this is what made them great.
> >

> Who ever berry floors wants to. cuz they will be the lead sponsor in 2 years anyways

If Berry Floor stays in the sport, perhaps that team will become classics focused and give Orphan
George a home.

I think USPS will pull out 100%. Berry Floor may stay around as a second name sponsor or may not. It
has happen to with sponsors from many great teams before, Fiat comes to mind, and will happen again.
Some day Telekom, ONCE, Bonjour and all the rest will not be sponsoring teams. Contrary to the
feelings of many, the end of a USPS team will not mean the Sun will go out, racing in the EU will no
longer have Americans involved or the road racing scene will be any less than it is now.

"psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Next year Postal signs Tom Danielson (they tried to already). He rides a year for Lance while
> Lance goes for six. Then Danielson becomes team
leader
> and the next great US stage racer -- unless he becomes like Jan Ullrich.
>
> Bob C.

Tom Danielson will be there, possible that he may be better than Ullrich eventually.

Dashii

"inconnu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Sat, 31 May 2003 11:09:03 +0000, B. Lafferty wrote:
>
> > I'll bet they don't renew their team sponsorship. Perhaps Tommy Weasel
will

> Right on baby!!
>
> I gotta hundred bucks says that when Davey Crockett heads off to the Alamo, USPS will be there too
> and that will be the last you hear of
aither if
> them

Put up or shut up!

Dashii

--B_3137328274_12421060 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

Tyler Hamilton could return - which, in turn, would increase the likelihood of USPS continuing their
sponsorship.

--B_3137328274_12421060 Content-type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding:
quoted-printable

<HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>US Postal after Lance then who will lead???</TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <FONT
FACE=3D"Verdana">Tyler Hamilton could return - which, in turn, would in= crease the likelihood of
USPS continuing their sponsorship. <BR> </FONT> </BODY> </HTML>

--B_3137328274_12421060--

uh yeah right like Bjarne will let him leave?

Steve Hubbard wrote:
> Tyler Hamilton could return - which, in turn, would increase the likelihood of USPS continuing
> their sponsorship.

> I'll bet they don't renew their team sponsorship. Perhaps Tommy Weasel
will

That would make you happy, but without his organization there wouldn't be an American team on
the other side of the pond. You seem like you dislike USPS enough to the point where you would
prefer that, but I think most American cycling fans would like at least one domestic team racing
over there.

That depends on how you define American. Only 9 out of 22 riders are from the US. If they registered
in San Marino (great postal stamps!!), would that make them San Marinian? If you really want to see
a "domestic" team racing across the pond, lets take up an rbr collection and send Saturn, Jittery
Joes or a Division III combine some airfare.

Contrary to your uninformed opinion, I actually enjoy what USPS brings to the sport. The only
negatives to USPS, IMO, are that they focus on only one race a year (TdF) with a minor focus on the
Vuelta to keep Roberto placated and make a half hearted attempt at the classics to keep George
living with the illusion that he's supported. Of course, when Postal goes we may not see much of
George, except as a non-hyped support rider for Tom Boonen or the head of a "domestic" team. If Henk
can win Fitchburg, so can George.

Lastly, I think Tommy should look into lawn bowling. Nice sport---it is a sport, isn't it? .

> > I'll bet they don't renew their team sponsorship. Perhaps Tommy Weasel
> will
>

> That would make you happy, but without his organization there wouldn't be
an
> American team on the other side of the pond. You seem like you dislike
USPS
> enough to the point where you would prefer that, but I think most American cycling fans would like
> at least one domestic team racing over there.

> That depends on how you define American. Only 9 out of 22 riders are from the US.

If there is no replacement for USPS when the leave the scene, there will unquestionably be much less
of an opportunity for American riders to race in Europe. USPS surely would like more American
riders, but the qualifying pool isn't that big (they need TdF support riders), just as surely Credit
Agricole (and other French teams) would like more French riders (almost nonexistent).

>If they registered in San Marino (great postal stamps!!), would that make them San Marinian? If you
>really want to see a "domestic" team racing across the pond, lets take up an rbr collection and
>send Saturn, Jittery Joes or a Division III combine some airfare.

Just for the sake of argument, suppose rbr came up with lots of $$$. Division 3 teams do Division 3
races. No World Cups. Navigators, which is Div 2, was in Ghent Wevelgem this year where Vogels got
2nd. Nice result, but they don't get to start Flanders or Roubaix. There would certainly be no TdF,
Giro or Vuelta. How would Leipheimer and Hamilton have shown their stuff without USPS? It would have
been much tougher for them.

> Lastly, I think Tommy should look into lawn bowling. Nice sport---it is a sport, isn't it?

I think it would be better if he stuck around. Who else has the corporate contacts to get the big
money sponsor for the next US team? Carrying on in the tradition of 7-11, Motorolla, USPS. It would
be a shame, IMO, if it ended.

news:p[email protected]...

> > That depends on how you define American. Only 9 out of 22 riders are
from
> > the US.
>

> If there is no replacement for USPS when the leave the scene, there will unquestionably be much
> less of an opportunity for American riders to race
in
> Europe.

Much less? In this age, as opposed to the LeMond and even Armstrong (early 1990s) age, there is
much more opportunity for quality US riders to race on Europro teams. That is not USPS
dependent. The issue here, IMO, isn't so much opportunity as the desire to suffer far more on
the bike than domestic racing requires as well as dealing with living the better part of the
year in a different culture.

USPS surely would like more American riders, but the qualifying pool
> isn't that big (they need TdF support riders), just as surely Credit Agricole (and other French
> teams) would like more French riders (almost nonexistent).

I'm glad that you're privy to the managment decisions of USPS. Have you also spoken with former
USPS riders like Tyler, Kevin, Levi, and Marty? It's about business and that business is
winning races for sponsors. The nationality is secondary as long as any federation nationality
quotas are met.

> >If they registered in San Marino (great postal stamps!!), would that make them San Marinian? If
> >you really want to see a "domestic"
team
> > racing across the pond, lets take up an rbr collection and send Saturn, Jittery Joes or a
> > Division III combine some airfare.
>

> Just for the sake of argument, suppose rbr came up with lots of $$$. Division 3 teams do Division
> 3 races. No World Cups. Navigators, which is Div 2, was in Ghent Wevelgem this year where Vogels
> got 2nd. Nice result, but they don't get to start Flanders or Roubaix. There would certainly be
no
> TdF, Giro or Vuelta. How would Leipheimer and Hamilton have shown their stuff without USPS? It
> would have been much tougher for them.

Henry, you are either a literalist or humor impaired. Perhaps both?

> > Lastly, I think Tommy should look into lawn bowling. Nice sport---it is
> > sport, isn't it?
>
> I think it would be better if he stuck around. Who else has the corporate contacts to get the big
> money sponsor for the next US team? Carrying on in the tradition of 7-11, Motorolla, USPS. It
> would be a shame, IMO, if it ended.

Well, we'll just have to disagree and see what the sport looks like in 5 years or so here in the
US. But I will admit, that I'm looking forward to getting my CTS tape and putting that USAC
decal on the box.

BTW, what's your opinion? Is lawn bowling a sport? Lawn bowling in the Summer and curling in
the Winter!