US PRO Candyass National Championships

Kurgan Gringion

Guest
It should be called the Candyass Championships.

The jersey gets awarded this year to a rider who didn't make the podium.

Even the Masters Fattie nationals is better than this. At least the winner crosses the line first.

To it's credit, USPRO Candyass Championships doesn't give everyone a medal like they do at Masters
Fattie nats.

Well he came in ahead of Fast Freddy ... Plus the rider McCormack is one of the classiest bike
racers you will meet.

--
Irrationally held truths may be more harmful than reasoned errors. "Kurgan Gringioni"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It should be called the Candyass Championships.
>

> The jersey gets awarded this year to a rider who didn't make the podium.
>

> Even the Masters Fattie nationals is better than this. At least the winner crosses the line first.
>

> To it's credit, USPRO Candyass Championships doesn't give everyone a medal like they do at Masters
> Fattie nats.

"Scott Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well he came in ahead of Fast Freddy ... Plus the rider McCormack is one
of
> the classiest bike racers you will meet.

Hey Fattie -

I'm talking about the way the race is set up, not the racers themselves.

Scott Downie wrote:

> Well he came in ahead of Fast Freddy ... Plus the rider McCormack is one of the classiest bike
> racers you will meet.

Not everyone would agree. Here's what Julean Dean had to say the other day:

"McCormack came across my front wheel and took it out with 150m to go. It was an unprofessional move
because he knew I was coming around him and it was the only thing he could do."

And from the "Lousy sportsmanship?" thread on 2/5/99, Brian Jew was quoted:

"On lap four, the McCormacks showed off just one of the ways to make cyclo-cross a true team sport.
With Sundt moving to the front to again make his move on the run-up, Frank McCormack surged in front
to deny Sundt his line and move him toward the fencing. Then, Mark McCormack delivered the knock-out
blow". "I put my bike sideways and said (to Frank) this is your opportunity", said Mark McCormack.
"The move knocked Sundt into the fencing and sprang Frank McCormack free. Sundt took it all in
stride. 'They're professionals and they're paid to win races,' he said. 'It's aggressive; it's like
hockey on wheels. That's what makes it exciting.'"

So, do you think McCormack is classy because of this behavior or in spite of it? I'm aware that some
people think this is the correct way to ride (I don't), but does anyone really think it's classy?

Bret

Oh I apologize I was unclear of your true dissatifaction.

--
Irrationally held truths may be more harmfull than reasoned errors. "Kurgan Gringioni"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Scott Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Well he came in ahead of Fast Freddy ... Plus the rider McCormack is
one
> of
> > the classiest bike racers you will meet.
>

> Hey Fattie -
>

> I'm talking about the way the race is set up, not the racers themselves.

I was not aware of those issues. I have met him and like him as a person and I have not heard anyone
say anything like what you have pointed out. I know a lot of people who have raced with him and no
one has ever said anything negative around me. I would guess that you can find someone to say
something bad about just about anyone especially in the pro ranks, because of the highly competitive
atmosphere.

--
Irrationally held truths may be more harmful than reasoned errors. "Bret Wade"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Scott Downie wrote:
>
> > Well he came in ahead of Fast Freddy ... Plus the rider McCormack is
one of
> > the classiest bike racers you will meet.
>
> Not everyone would agree. Here's what Julean Dean had to say the other
day:

> "McCormack came across my front wheel and took it out with 150m to go. It was an unprofessional
> move because he knew I was coming around him and it was the only thing he could do."
>
> And from the "Lousy sportsmanship?" thread on 2/5/99, Brian Jew was
quoted:

> "On lap four, the McCormacks showed off just one of the ways to make cyclo-cross a true team
> sport. With Sundt moving to the front to again make his move on the run-up, Frank McCormack surged
> in front to deny Sundt his line and move him toward the fencing. Then, Mark McCormack delivered
> the knock-out blow". "I put my bike sideways and said (to Frank) this is your opportunity", said
> Mark McCormack. "The move knocked Sundt into the fencing and sprang Frank McCormack free. Sundt
> took it all in stride. 'They're professionals and they're paid to win races,' he said. 'It's
> aggressive; it's like hockey on wheels. That's what makes it exciting.'"
>
> So, do you think McCormack is classy because of this behavior or in spite of it? I'm aware
> that some people think this is the correct way to ride (I don't), but does anyone really think
> it's classy?
>
> Bret

"Bret Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Scott Downie wrote:
>
> > Well he came in ahead of Fast Freddy ... Plus the rider McCormack is
one of
> > the classiest bike racers you will meet.
>
> Not everyone would agree. Here's what Julean Dean had to say the other
day:

> "McCormack came across my front wheel and took it out with 150m to go. It was an unprofessional
> move because he knew I was coming around him and it was the only thing he could do."
>
> And from the "Lousy sportsmanship?" thread on 2/5/99, Brian Jew was
quoted:

> "On lap four, the McCormacks showed off just one of the ways to make cyclo-cross a true team
> sport. With Sundt moving to the front to again make his move on the run-up, Frank McCormack surged
> in front to deny Sundt his line and move him toward the fencing. Then, Mark McCormack delivered
> the knock-out blow". "I put my bike sideways and said (to Frank) this is your opportunity", said
> Mark McCormack. "The move knocked Sundt into the fencing and sprang Frank McCormack free. Sundt
> took it all in stride. 'They're professionals and they're paid to win races,' he said. 'It's
> aggressive; it's like hockey on wheels. That's what makes it exciting.'"
>
> So, do you think McCormack is classy because of this behavior or in spite of it? I'm aware
> that some people think this is the correct way to ride (I don't), but does anyone really think
> it's classy?
>
> Bret

Horse ****! I was there and that was a great tactical move. It's cyclocross not freakin' paddy-cake.
McCormack is a classy rider who has taken his share of lumps. Remember when he got screwed out of an
Olympic spot in 1996 due to politics? The thread is about the formnat of the USPRO cahampionships.
As much as I'm thrilled that Mark won, I have to assume the result could have beed different if the
format was different. Cycling is interesting, it's not an "individual" sport, it's a Team sport.
Without a Team a specific individual has little chance of winning. So, would it be fair to have an
event for US Pro riders only? Maybe, but then wouldn't there be a huge shift in advantage towards
the US based Pros? Not saying it would be good or bad just different..

Danny Callen

I think brother Frank was the one screwed out of the Olympic Spot.

--
Irrationally held truths may be more harmfull than reasoned errors. "Danny Callen"

Danny Callen wrote:

> "Bret Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>
>>Scott Downie wrote:
>>

>>>Well he came in ahead of Fast Freddy ... Plus the rider McCormack is
>
> one of
>
>>>the classiest bike racers you will meet.
>>
>>Not everyone would agree. Here's what Julean Dean had to say the other
>
> day:
>
>>"McCormack came across my front wheel and took it out with 150m to go. It was an unprofessional
>>move because he knew I was coming around him and it was the only thing he could do."
>>
>>And from the "Lousy sportsmanship?" thread on 2/5/99, Brian Jew was
>
> quoted:
>
>>"On lap four, the McCormacks showed off just one of the ways to make cyclo-cross a true team
>>sport. With Sundt moving to the front to again make his move on the run-up, Frank McCormack surged
>>in front to deny Sundt his line and move him toward the fencing. Then, Mark McCormack delivered
>>the knock-out blow". "I put my bike sideways and said (to Frank) this is your opportunity", said
>>Mark McCormack. "The move knocked Sundt into the fencing and sprang Frank McCormack free. Sundt
>>took it all in stride. 'They're professionals and they're paid to win races,' he said. 'It's
>>aggressive; it's like hockey on wheels. That's what makes it exciting.'"
>>
>>So, do you think McCormack is classy because of this behavior or in spite of it? I'm aware
>>that some people think this is the correct way to ride (I don't), but does anyone really think
>>it's classy?
>>
>>Bret
>>

> Horse ****! I was there and that was a great tactical move. It's cyclocross not freakin'
> paddy-cake. McCormack is a classy rider who has taken his share of lumps. Remember when he got
> screwed out of an Olympic spot in 1996 due to politics? The thread is about the formnat of the
> USPRO cahampionships. As much as I'm thrilled that Mark won, I have to assume the result could
> have beed different if the format was different. Cycling is interesting, it's not an "individual"
> sport, it's a Team sport. Without a Team a specific individual has little chance of winning. So,
> would it be fair to have an event for US Pro riders only? Maybe, but then wouldn't there be a huge
> shift in advantage towards the US based Pros? Not saying it would be good or bad just different..
>
> Danny Callen

I ride cyclocross too and don't expect people to be trying to knock me down. I'll defer to the
Belgians in this group. If they say that running a competitor into the fencing while your teammate
attacks is a great tactical move, then I'll accept that as part of the sport.

> [...]

have
> > beed different if the format was different. Cycling is interesting, it's
not
> > an "individual" sport, it's a Team sport. Without a Team a specific individual has little chance
> > of winning. So, would it be fair to have an event for US Pro riders only? Maybe, but then
> > wouldn't there be a huge
shift
> > in advantage towards the US based Pros? Not saying it would be good or
bad
> > just different..
> >
> > Danny Callen
>
> I ride cyclocross too and don't expect people to be trying to knock me down. I'll defer to the
> Belgians in this group. If they say that running a competitor into the fencing while your teammate
> attacks is a great tactical move, then I'll accept that as part of the sport.

Mark was ahead of Johnny going into the barrier and squeezed him off as he picked up his bike. At
least that's the way I remember it....

Danny Callen