US Safety Video

Peter Clinch wrote on 27/02/2007 13:12 +0100:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> Safety video on youtube
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdrrxIpQpt4

> It was all sounding pretty good up to 2 1/2 minutes or so, when it moved
> into the Single Biggest Piece Of Point Missing as one would expect...

"This video was produced by the League of American Bicyclists for the
National Transportation Safety Board" LAB is the US counterpart of the
CTC.

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

On 27 Feb, 13:15, "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Safety video on youtube

> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdrrxIpQpt4

> > --
> > Simon Mason.

> Even this pro-lid wearer realises that the lid is *not* the single most
> important bit of safety equipment you can use.... unlike on the other side
> of the pond, it would seem.

This *is* the USA, after all ;-)

I liked the riders diligently stopping dead at the Stop sign which
they are hot on in the States. One of our local TT courses has a Stop
sign along its route. Do they? No.

--
Simon Mason

"[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1172581676.782590.61460@
8g2000cwh.googlegroups.com:

> Safety video on youtube

I do like the parting shot: "I'm Celine Yaeger. Ride Safe!" ... and off she
goes without even glancing over her shoulder!

Two things struck me: the religious attitude to helmets (they are
miraculously effective, and you are an immoral person if you are
ever seen to ride without one), and a shot used twice, of a
left-turning cyclist in a left-turn lane, turning from the
right-hand side of the lane right across a following SUV (at 5:00
and 5:50). It looks suicidal to me, certainly not an example of
good practice.

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin, Department of Sociology, University of Limerick, Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147

Tony Raven wrote:

> "This video was produced by the League of American Bicyclists for the
> National Transportation Safety Board" LAB is the US counterpart of the
> CTC.

But without the Clues provided by the likes of Roger Geffen, it would
seem :-(

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

> They're cycling on the wrong side of the road!

and they don't have bells ;-)

Dave

[email protected] wrote:

>I liked the riders diligently stopping dead at the Stop sign which
>they are hot on in the States. One of our local TT courses has a Stop
>sign along its route. Do they? No.

It used to be in the RTTC rules that you had to come to a stop and put
one foot down for a stop sign. All it needs is a marshal with a check
list...

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
On 27 Feb, 13:15, "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> > Safety video on youtube

>> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdrrxIpQpt4

>> > --
>> > Simon Mason.

>> Even this pro-lid wearer realises that the lid is *not* the single most
>> important bit of safety equipment you can use.... unlike on the other
>> side
>> of the pond, it would seem.

>This *is* the USA, after all ;-)
>
>I liked the riders diligently stopping dead at the Stop sign which
>they are hot on in the States. One of our local TT courses has a Stop
>sign along its route. Do they? No.

Is that a course that's used for only club events, or one that's also used
for CTT open events? The reason I ask, is that obviously, there's no excuse
for not stopping, but I've not known a course used for open events to have a
stop line on the course. Give Way, yes, but not a stop line. Well, not that
I've noticed. Part of CTT rules to adhere to HC. I can understand a certain
amount of 'leeway' given to riders if it's a club event, eg., not
disqualifying them, but would be genuinely surprised if said course was used
on CTT open events.

One of the problems appearing on courses in my neck of the woods is the
proliferation of traffic lights, e.g. on a pedestrian crossing point near a
school. It's entirely possible for the duration of the event to get the
lights turned off for the duration of the event and have the crossing
marshalled, since TTs tend to happen at weekends when schools are closed, so
significantly reduced need for the lights there, but it's one more hassle to
deal with when organising an event.

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Is that a course that's used for only club events, or one that's also used
> for CTT open events? The reason I ask, is that obviously, there's no
> excuse for not stopping, but I've not known a course used for open events
> to have a stop line on the course. Give Way, yes, but not a stop line.
> Well, not that I've noticed. Part of CTT rules to adhere to HC. I can
> understand a certain amount of 'leeway' given to riders if it's a club
> event, eg., not disqualifying them, but would be genuinely surprised if
> said course was used on CTT open events.
>
> One of the problems appearing on courses in my neck of the woods is the
> proliferation of traffic lights, e.g. on a pedestrian crossing point near
> a school. It's entirely possible for the duration of the event to get the
> lights turned off for the duration of the event and have the crossing
> marshalled, since TTs tend to happen at weekends when schools are closed,
> so significantly reduced need for the lights there, but it's one more
> hassle to deal with when organising an event.

Having thought some more... there's been at least one event (open) that
Nathan has done in some part of the country or other, which had a Stop line
on the course, and indeed, in the event notes, this was identified, saying
the junction would be marshalled and riders would be being watched to ensure
they came to a stop, with foot down. How well this was enforced, I can't
say, as I wasn't watching at that point on the course. But it was marshalled
and had been brought to riders' attention.

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Having thought some more... there's been at least one event (open) that
> Nathan has done in some part of the country or other, which had a Stop
> line on the course, and indeed, in the event notes, this was identified,
> saying the junction would be marshalled and riders would be being watched
> to ensure they came to a stop, with foot down. How well this was enforced,
> I can't say, as I wasn't watching at that point on the course. But it was
> marshalled and had been brought to riders' attention.

This route was during our 8 weekend long training sessions which used TT
courses. There was a marshal at the Stop sign during our two weeks at this
particular course and no attempt was made to get us to stop at it. I passed
comment that we were breaking the law, but this was brushed aside as "don't
be daft son".

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

On 2007-02-27 13:15:20 +0000, "wafflycat"
<w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> said:

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Safety video on youtube
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdrrxIpQpt4
>>
>> --
>> Simon Mason.
>>

> Even this pro-lid wearer realises that the lid is *not* the single most
> important bit of safety equipment you can use.... unlike on the other
> side of the pond, it would seem.

Yes, I think eyes and ears come before helmet.
--
Three wheels good, two wheels ok

www.catrike.co.uk