US Supreme Court outlaws medical use

zapper

Banned
Mar 11, 2004
Any thoughts here... Seems to me that there are better drugs out there to ease pain that don't involve breaking federal law...

The US Supreme Court outlaws medical use

AP
Tuesday, June 07, 2005

WASHINGTON, USA (AP) - US Government authorities may prosecute sick people whose doctors prescribe marijuana to ease pain, the Supreme Court ruled yesterday, concluding that state laws don't protect users from a federal ban on the drug.

zapper said:
Any thoughts here... Seems to me that there are better drugs out there to ease pain that don't involve breaking federal law...

The US Supreme Court outlaws medical use

AP
Tuesday, June 07, 2005

WASHINGTON, USA (AP) - US Government authorities may prosecute sick people whose doctors prescribe marijuana to ease pain, the Supreme Court ruled yesterday, concluding that state laws don't protect users from a federal ban on the drug.
i dont understand why a medical version of the drug isnt avaiable. People with MS swear by it.

Look at opiates such as morphine. In its street guise it is illegal but in its medical form it is a life saver. People recoveing from major surgery wouldnt be able to survive without it.

I have never taken cannabis for medical purposes so i am not aware of its pain killing properties...all i know is the testimonies of the sufferers who says it relieves thier pain.

prosecuting people for using it isnt tyhe answer in my opinion.

zapper said:

Debateable. Depends on the kind of pain and what side-effects you are willing to risk.

Ibuprofin and Asprin are very hard on the stomach, so they are a particularly bad idea if you have a sensitive or wounded gut. Codeine is an opiate derivative, people do develop acute addictions to it, withdrawal symptoms include acute headaches. Those three common painkillers all have documented cases of overdose and death. AFAIK Cannabis does not.

Cannabis is well known as a treatment for Asthma, which is of particular interest to me. In practice it could equate to 15% more oxygen in my bloodstream, which would make a huge difference to my cycling. :)

It is also believed to stimulate appetite, which is also a useful property for some patients. Like any drug it should be treated with respect, however I don't think the documented risks of Cannabis merit the total prohibition on it's use (particularly when you stack it up against stuff like Valium or benzos).

A similar judgement was made a couple of weeks back in the UK, funny coincidence.

MountainPro said:
i dont understand why a medical version of the drug isnt avaiable. People with MS swear by it.

Look at opiates such as morphine. In its street guise it is illegal but in its medical form it is a life saver. People recoveing from major surgery wouldnt be able to survive without it.

I have never taken cannabis for medical purposes so i am not aware of its pain killing properties...all i know is the testimonies of the sufferers who says it relieves thier pain.

prosecuting people for using it isnt tyhe answer in my opinion.

I know for a fact that other existing prescription drugs are at least as abused as pot.
I do not forsee any major changes in society either way.
By the way Pro, I have been hearing something about kitchen knives being banned in the UK.
Is this just a rumor?

I know of two people with MS - one is confined to hospital permanently.
The other person has less severe MS.
Both get conventional drugs for their conditions but both also take marijuana.
(marijuana consumption is illegal here and is deemed a criminal offence).

In general, I would like to see marijuana consumption decriminalised for people who suffer disease and require marijuana for treatment purposes.

jhuskey said:
I know for a fact that other existing prescription drugs are at least as abused as pot.
I do not forsee any major changes in society either way.
By the way Pro, I have been hearing something about kitchen knives being banned in the UK.
Is this just a rumor?
I hear that they are going to outlaw pool cues in Scotland. Apparently there is a monster driving his car and pushing his pool cue into the spokes of unsuspecting cyclist.

Colorado Ryder said:
I hear that they are going to outlaw pool cues in Scotland. Apparently there is a monster driving his car and pushing his pool cue into the spokes of unsuspecting cyclist.

It must be the legendendary "Aviemore Fats" pool room hustler gone bad.

limerickman said:
I know of two people with MS - one is confined to hospital permanently.
The other person has less severe MS.
Both get conventional drugs for their conditions but both also take marijuana.
(marijuana consumption is illegal here and is deemed a criminal offence).

In general, I would like to see marijuana consumption decriminalised for people who suffer disease and require marijuana for treatment purposes.
This is a misleading thread. The Supreme Court did not outlaw marijuana for medical uses. Congress had already done that. All the Supreme Court stated was that federal law trumps state law.

Colorado Ryder said:
This is a misleading thread. The Supreme Court did not outlaw marijuana for medical uses. Congress had already done that. All the Supreme Court stated was that federal law trumps state law.
Hey..blame CNN...should have known not to trust the liberal media :(

darkboong said:
Cannabis is well known as a treatment for Asthma, which is of particular interest to me. In practice it could equate to 15% more oxygen in my bloodstream, which would make a huge difference to my cycling. :)
Ever thought about moving to canada and growing it bungles?

zapper said:
Ever thought about moving to canada and growing it bungles?

I have thought about it, but it seems to be a hell of a distance to go in order to fix something that I live with OK. Canada's weather wipes out a lot of cycling in a year too. The Netherlands is closer and apparently it does have some hills worth assaulting. I am not keen on flat country at all. :(

The better (and saner) solution would be for the legislators to quit eroding citizens rights and start giving some back for a change.

darkboong said:
The Netherlands is closer and apparently it does have some hills worth assaulting. I am not keen on flat country at all. :(
Its all uphill till you reach the ocean.

Colorado Ryder said:

You're not suggesting that Zapper would post misleading info, are you
Colorado ?

jhuskey said:
Is this just a rumor?
i have heard this before...

apart from the fact that it is an offence to carry ANY knife in the street then no, having a kitchen knife in the kitchen is not an offence here...

zapper said:
Hey..blame CNN...should have known not to trust the liberal media :(

CNN is in no way "liberal". By journalistic standards it has practically lived within the Whitehouse pocket since it's inception.

darkboong said:
CNN is in no way "liberal". By journalistic standards it has practically lived within the Whitehouse pocket since it's inception.
You need to be a little more realistic...I would admit that fox leans to the right...You statement: "CNN is no way liberal" is unrealistic bungles......

Time for those who need it to "Go out and COP" and score their own like the great majority of those who smoke weed always have. Who knows maybe a subset of dealers with Dr. Kavorkian like ideals (in that they help those in need who medicine and the law have denied) will develop.

zapper said:
You need to be a little more realistic...I would admit that fox leans to the right...You statement: "CNN is no way liberal" is unrealistic bungles......

Well, I have been following CNN off and on since 1990. It's coverage has remained wedded to the Whitehouse view of the world. For example : Self-respecting war correspondants of yore would not have accepted the concept of "Embedded" reporting, it's an anathma to liberal journalism. CNN has embraced and promoted that concept ever since 1990.

CNN's bias becomes even more apparent when you compare and contrast it's coverage with other news agencies from other countries. I guess to you CNN will look "liberal" (WTF that is meant to mean in terms of Journalism I have no idea) because you reject all news sources that disagree with your right-whinger views. Your idea of what is "liberal" will be somewhere further right than the Nazi Party.