USA categories and racing - questions from Australia

Roadie_scum

Nov 14, 2003
Hey guys and gals,

I'm heading stateside (norcal) next year for a while and had a couple of queries about road racing there. First up, does anyone know if it's possible to get a category upgrade from O/S results? I have plenty of racing experience in Australia in A and B grades, national road series, inter-varsity, and a couple of decent results in most of those categories except NRS (where a puncture with no spares car in sight and a hunger flat from poor planning combined to rob me of a finish in the top half of the field). I've read about cat's, starting as a 5 and moving up. I suppose I'd be happy to start low and work my way up - should happen quite quickly if I'm not at the level I should be at. But I'm thinking it's not going to be good racing for me and it's not fair to other low cat riders to rock up and blitz newbies. Can I apply to the USCF to give me a higher Cat licence using my results here? Judging from my w/kg and the results of guys I know from here who've raced in the US, I'm thinking I'd be decent in the 2's or good in the 3's, or maybe finishing in the 1's if I'm on good form or its a race that suits me.

Second up, what's the prize money like over there. Here club races pay all grades, A grade to 4th or 6th, B to 4th and C-E down to 3rd. Money depends on field size, except for 'opens' - bigger races which sometimes pay to 20th and have $1000 plus for 1st (but are damn near impossible to win). Club races would typically pay between $50 and $200 for first in A grade. Money split between grades something like 40-30-20-7-3. If I start off racing low grades am I gonna clean up some cash?

Thirdly, I get the impression there is a lot more teams based riding in the US than here. There's very little here, although I have some experience of it and I love working hard for a team. What's the best way to hook up a ride? What can you expect in terms of sponsorship? Here it's reasonable for a good quality A grade rider to expect a cost price bike and (if you're smart/lucky) a year to pay it off interest free (that is, sell the bike at the end of the year when you get your new one and you should get back more than you have to pay). Anyone that has space on a team in norcal for '05 feel free to let me know via PM and I will email you a race resume, some photos and references. Caveat: I would like to spend a bit of time doing inter-varsity road racing for the first half of the year, so I won't be available to race every week. Also, I tend not to race every week anyway - I prefer to peak for big events than drive myself into the ground every week, but that's negotiable depending on the deal I'm getting from the team. Anyways, I'm mainly a roadie but I can MTB a bit too, and I'd love to do some cyclo, which we don't have here. Thanks to all of you for reading, and maybe answering some of my questions.

Roadie_scum said:
Hey guys and gals,

I'm heading stateside (norcal) next year for a while and had a couple of queries about road racing there. First up, does anyone know if it's possible to get a category upgrade from O/S results? .....
Second up, what's the prize money like over there. .....
Thirdly, I get the impression there is a lot more teams based riding in the US than here.
You should be able to easily get an immediate upgrade to Cat. 4. regardless, but I expect that the USCF can basically convert your existing categorization to one of the USCF categories, probably at least Cat. 4 or Cat. 3 if you have some credible results to show. Go straight to the USCF via e-mail with your question and a listing of your racing history. If you run in to trouble and for some reason end up with just a Cat. 5 license, the local district association or district rep. can also issue upgrades and again there will be no problem in getting at least a Cat. 4 upgrade. We have a rider who started racing last year in France and moved here a couple of months ago. He asked for and received an upgrade to Cat. 4 right away from the USCF office. Prize money varies all over the place and depends a lot on where you are, but yes, you can win significant prize money in Cat. 3 and above categories, and sometimes pretty decent money in Cat. 4 races. Typical mid-level combined Cat. 1,2,3 races will have $1k and above down to at least 10 places. If the prizelist for a race is over, I think, $2k, then there is a required minimum distribution formula and number of prizes. Teams-based riding also varies from place to place, but most places have at least a couple of teams that like to battle each other on the local level. Sometimes when it occurs in the lower categories (i.e. Cat. 5 and Cat. 4) it will make for some frustrating and negative racing if there aren't enough other teams or independent riders who are willing to work. At the higher levels, in particular Cat. 1,2 (which are most often combined), the racing is much more aggressive and there is a fair amount of teamwork, but guys without big teams can still compete and finish well.

i did a couple of seasons racing in the US around 5 years ago. As an ex 1st cat ride in the UK, I had taken a couple of years off before returning to racing while I was in the US. Basically, you will be issued a cat 5 licence by default by USCF. The upgrade process is a little murky and not on the strict points criteria we have in the UK. So your next step would be to contact your state/area USCF rep and speak to them directly. They have discretion over upgrades and I would expect them to upgrade you to cat 4 immediately. I then had to do a few races at cat 4 to gather a few results before arguing for a cat 3 upgrade, because the USCF reps seem to be hesitant about taking any overseas results into account (In the same way as the rest of the US will ignore your overseas credit history etc.). Hope this helps - good luck with your racing.