USAC Criticized Sport Arbitration Court

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by B. Lafferty, Oct 22, 2003.

  1. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    From CyclingNews

    Referring to testimony from several USA Cycling officials, the Court's decision reads, "the Panel is
    disturbed by the testimony from the USA Cycling witnesses and officials. It is obvious that the
    organization has acted in complete disregard of its athletes, in particular those below the elite
    level. There appears to be little or no attempt at communicating the dangers of contaminated
    supplements to the thousands of USA Cycling athletes."

    Testimony heard by the panel came from USA Cycling officials including CEO Gerard Bisceglia, who
    said he "was not aware of the risks or dangers involved in taking supplements" and "was not aware
    that any USA Cycling officials had been handing out supplements."

    At least it's obvious to some that USAC acts in diregard of its membership. Same shit, another
    year, Gerard. So much for the Weisel/Biseglia/Plant/Och Junta.

    OK USAC defenders. Time to come out of the woodwork and out from under the bridges to defend the
    bozos of the Springs.

    Tags:

  2. "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > From CyclingNews
    >
    > Referring to testimony from several USA Cycling officials, the Court's decision reads, "the Panel
    > is disturbed by the testimony from the USA Cycling witnesses and officials. It is obvious that the
    > organization has acted in complete disregard of its athletes, in particular those below the elite
    > level. There appears to be little or no attempt at communicating the dangers of contaminated
    > supplements to the thousands of USA Cycling athletes."
    >
    > Testimony heard by the panel came from USA Cycling officials including CEO Gerard Bisceglia, who
    > said he "was not aware of the risks or dangers involved in taking supplements" and "was not aware
    > that any USA Cycling officials had been handing out supplements."
    >

    > At least it's obvious to some that USAC acts in diregard of its membership. Same shit, another
    > year, Gerard. So much for the Weisel/Biseglia/Plant/Och Junta.
    >
    > OK USAC defenders. Time to come out of the woodwork and out from under the bridges to defend
    > the bozos of the Springs.

    Mr. Objectivity -

    I'm not a fan of USAC (donated to the Les legal fund), but paste in the other parts too.
    You left out:

    "Neben controlled positive in a test conducted on May 31 this year at the Montreal World Cup. In her
    defence, Neben said she had also been tested nine days before her positive control and three and
    four days after. All three of those tests were negative. Neben claimed her positive test was
    probably a result of a contaminated supplement, but was unable to provide samples any supplements
    that showed contamination. In particular, supplements supplied to USA Cycling riders by sponsor
    Hammer Nutrition all tested negative."

    "The panel hearing the case concluded that Neben had not been guilty of intentional doping, but that
    some sanction had to be applied under the 'strict liability' rules which cover doping offences. As
    well as a six-month suspension starting July 13, 2003 Neben's sanction includes a requirement to
    perform educational work with USA Cycling, to teach other athletes about the dangers of contaminated
    supplements."