USAC/CTS

Tritonrider

Guest
Here is what I sent to them. I hope that I am not the only one mailing them. I mailed this
to Gerard.

Generaly I am in support of what you have done, but I have huge questions about this deal. As the
selecting body for World and Olympic events the conflict of interest is obvious. If CTS paid market
value for this endorsement I have slightly less problem with it, but the conflict is still obvious
especially with Mr. Wiesel providing the monetary support he has. The Armstrong, Carmichael, Wiesel
ties are indisputable and this deal smells to high heaven. This is equivalent in my mind to the Bush
administration handing oil contracts to Halliburton on a non competeitive basis. There has been a
huge outcry and demands for an investigation. I hope that members hold this deal to the same
standards. USAC certifies a lot of good coaches. I see no appropriate reason to elevate one coach
above all the others by giving him an endorsement by the REGULATORY body above all other certified
coaches. To be honest this smacks of illegal influence peddling and bribery, which I thought went
out with the last USAC administration. I hope that I am wrong but this smells to high heaven.
William J. Crowther NCC/ Cat 4 official

>There has been a huge outcry and demands for an investigation. I hope that members hold this deal
>to the same standards. USAC certifies a lot of good coaches. I see no appropriate reason to elevate
>one coach above all the others by giving him an endorsement by the REGULATORY body above all other
>certified coaches.

all of the usac coaches are wrong. they have been told that. giving away their business will only
help them. they are being heard, but nobody is listening. it is easier to say it is a done deal and
move on to the next butt-pirate activity.

> conflict of interest
My dear Crowther, this is the way Weisel & Co. do business. His firm, Thomas Weisel & Partners is
currently trying to avoid a settlement with the California Board Of Corporations where TWP must
admit to fraud and pay $12.5 million fine.

Weisel controls the USA Cycling Development Foundation, which, in turn, controls the USAC Board Of
Directors and USACDF is largest contributor to USAC.

Weisel's employee in the private equity division of TWP, Jim Ochowicz is both president of USAC and
a member of the UCI's Professional Cycling Council. He is also a paid consultant to the PHONAK pro
cycling team, employed to lobby on their behalf with the Tour de France to get PHONAK into the Tour.

The USAC / CTS deal smells, but not as much as all the other **** piled up around there.

Be careful, Bill. People are going to think you've been hanging around with
me. As I've said before regarding the Springs, "Same ****, different year."

news:[email protected]...

[email protected] (TheMobe) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Weisel's employee in the private equity division of TWP, Jim Ochowicz is both president of USAC
> and a member of the UCI's Professional Cycling Council. He is also a paid consultant to the
> PHONAK pro cycling team, employed to lobby on their behalf with the Tour de France to get PHONAK
> into the Tour.

Looks like PHONAK didn't hire the right person.

From cyclingnews.com:

The 21 teams that will ride the Centenary Tour are as follows:

Ag2r-Prevoyance Alessio Brioches La Boulangère Cofidis Crédit Agricole Euskaltel-Euskadi Fassa
Bortolo FDJeux.com Gerolsteiner ibanesto.com Jean Delatour Kelme Lotto-Domo ONCE Quick
Step-Davitamon Rabobank Sidermec Saeco Team CSC Telekom US Postal - Berry Floor

I think an important point has been overlooked. CTS services are expensive and just because someone
gets a free month (at a very low level of service) does not mean they'll pay the money to continue.
What may also happen is a person gets their free month and thinks, yeah, maybe I should get some
coaching but since CTS is so expensive at any of their available service levels I'll go get my
coaching from someone else (a USAC-licensed coach perhaps). Wouldn't surprise me if the interest in
being coached increases.

-WG

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:190520031819499251%[email protected]...
> I think an important point has been overlooked. CTS services are expensive and just because
> someone gets a free month (at a very low level of service) does not mean they'll pay the money to
> continue. What may also happen is a person gets their free month and thinks, yeah, maybe I should
> get some coaching but since CTS is so expensive at any of their available service levels I'll go
> get my coaching from someone else (a USAC-licensed coach perhaps). Wouldn't surprise me if the
> interest in being coached increases.
>
> -WG

do you really think that the general public (especially newbie's to the sport) will do that? I don't
think so....

In article <[email protected]>, CuCycln <[email protected]> wrote:

> "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:190520031819499251%[email protected]...
> > I think an important point has been overlooked. CTS services are expensive and just because
> > someone gets a free month (at a very low level of service) does not mean they'll pay the money
> > to continue. What may also happen is a person gets their free month and thinks, yeah, maybe I
> > should get some coaching but since CTS is so expensive at any of their available service levels
> > I'll go get my coaching from someone else (a USAC-licensed coach perhaps). Wouldn't surprise me
> > if the interest in being coached increases.
> >
> > -WG
>
> do you really think that the general public (especially newbie's to the sport) will do that? I
> don't think so....

Does everyone who is a USCF member fly on United just because United is the "official" airline of
USAC? Did all USAC members only drink Korbel or Fresca or what ever was the official drink of the
USAC/USCF at the time?

Like all consumers when there is a competitive market for services, I'm sure riders looking for a
coach will base their decision on several factors. Price, how well the rider gets along with the
coach, how well the training program works for the rider, how well the rider does against others who
are using a different coach. Sure the CTS coaches are going to get first crack at a lot of the
riders taking advantage of this program. Then again I haven't seen anything in the deal between USAC
and CTS that prevents other coaches from offering 1 month of free coaching to riders in their area.
Last time I looke we are suppose to be a society where competition between providers of the same
service(s) is suppose to be a good thing where consumers benefit from better prices and services.

As Warren said in the long run this program will be good for all coaches if this program expands the
number of riders who will seek out coaching services.

For years peopel on this newsgroup have *****ed about USAC and how they have ignored grass roots
riders. Now USAC has come up with a program that will mainly benefit grass roots riders yet we have
a continuation of *****fest 2003 re USAC

In article <[email protected]>, CuCycln <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm surprised at some of your response Casey......you being a coach and all.

I'm note a coach. I have to many other cycling related ball I try to keep in the air already.

> Them taking your clients away.

I would be really surprized if an established coach with an established client base will see his/her
clients leave them because of this deal. If this does happen then I'm not sure if that says more
about the coach who has clients leave or the clients who do leave. IN the short term this deal might
make it harder for established coaches to pick up new clients who are fairly new to racing. Probably
the biggest affect will be on new coaches that don't have an established client base. I think this
deal will most likely to be used by people who are new to racing ( the Cat 5s and new Cat 4s). I
think the riders who have been racing for a while have probably tried a number of coaches already
and have found one that works for them or have already tried CTS and have either decided to stay
with them or moved on to another coach.

> Also just because someone hasn't said something on the thread before and now they post their
> opinion isn't a *****fest.

My comments were not directed at peopel who have never posted before one way or another abotu USAC.
My comments were directed at people who for year have complained that USAC has ignored grass roots
riders and now that a program has come along that could be very helpful for grass roots riders (
since I don't think many well established riders will find this program that helpful) are still
complaining about USAC doing the4 same old stuff.

"Casey Kerrigan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:200520030622036702%[email protected]...
>> My comments were not directed at peopel who have never posted before
> one way or another abotu USAC. My comments were directed at people who for year have complained
> that USAC has ignored grass roots riders and now that a program has come along that could be very
> helpful for grass roots riders ( since I don't think many well established riders will find this
> program that helpful) are still complaining about USAC doing the4 same old stuff.

Casey, I for one am not complaining. I'm planning on taking advantage of the offer just to get the
video. My USAC decal will look great on the video box.