USAC rule change

Jonathan

Thats exactly what my club used to do until the uscf came in with insurace costs that wouldn't
allow it any more. My club put on 11 to 15 races a year, 10 off which were club races which would
pull in 50 to 100 riders and then the uscf races which was a 3 day stage race and then a 75 mile
road race in the fall. The paper work became so much and the insurance costs so high we now put on
one race a year.

The cost of the club races was $5 with a $5 number deposit and top three were paid in each catagory.
Each state had its own rep with actually two or three in the state of NY. These reps actually showed
up to the races, I can't remember the last time I saw my district rep at any of the races I go
to(approx. 15 to 20 per year).

Yes I have held a license for that long and have held my cat 2 license for over 15 years and still
manage to place in top 10 in 1,2,3 races with the young guys. Lets see entry fees used be based on
the prize list if you remember and that was a good plan, an organizer couldn't charge $50 to race
and have a $100 prize list, now as you say it is left up to the promoters who will charge what the
can and pay very little. Yes maybe I have been around too long and remember the way it used to be,
so you see I do know alot about the sport and what it was like. I cannot see how any racer wouldn't
want the prize money limited to the entry fees. Tell you what, all you people can come to my race,
my entry fee is $1000, prize list is $10 to the winner. You know I have to cover my costs and work
that goes into putting on the race. I expect Jonathon to show up.

"Jonathan Babiak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Shultz" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I expect nothing from the uscf, I just feel it is getting a little out
of
> > hand to raise the license fee to these type of amounts. This also
includes
> > the fees to race anymore, if you don't have at least $50 in you pocket
you
> > can't race. Travel, gas, food ,entries. With very little prize list. I though am not that
> > interested in the prize list, I would and do race for
the
> > fun of it and have been know to sprint full out for a dozen bagels or a
bag
> > of homemade cookies, but when I have to pay $50 to race in my catagory
and
> > pay a normal $20 entry fee for such don't you think this is a little
much.
> > I am glad the uscf is giving you our money so you can send in results.
> >
> > Bob
>
> Gee Bob, if you think it's a good idea to have races with $5 entry fees, $10,000 prize lists,
> cookies, TV coverage, etc., then I encourage you to organize events like that. Let us all know the
> date of your race, because everyone wants to race at an event like that. Of course you just won't.
> You just enjoy whining about those mean people up in Colorado stealing your $50. Do you have a
> plan? Do you have anything at all but your own private complaints? No.
>
> Once you pay an entry fee, it's no longer your money. If it's not worth it to you to pay the entry
> fee for the opportunity race, then don't pay. The fact that the world changed and left you behind
> when entry fees increased isn't the fault of USA Cycling. Entry fees are set by each promoter for
> each event. Have you really held a license for as long as you say? How is it possible that you
> know so little about your own sport?

Okay,

Back to the original point I was trying to make before some started yelling. If everyone is
interested in grass roots and getting kids into the sport the costs have to be kept down or this
will turn into a rich kids sport and the best may never have a chance.. As a racer of 20+ years
and numerous of thousands of dollars later(I would do it all over again), but also a father, I
cannot and do not have the finaces to try to get my children into this sport. Sponsership has been
very good to me and I have taken my old component and bikes and built them up for kids to use an
try to get them interested. Then the parents need to get involved and thats where the money
monster comes. Not many families these days can dish out the money that some of you say isn't bad
and can be afforded. How come every year I take a junior or two under my wings and the parents
balk at the cost.

This was the point I was trying to make. Now you can start flaming about this.

news:[email protected]...