USAC Rules re:Funny bikes in amateur TT events.......Legal or not?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Rob Benetton, Mar 12, 2004.

  1. Rob Benetton

    Rob Benetton Guest

    The message from USA Cycling is "All bikes must conform to
    UCI reg.s beginning 2007"...so does that mean,that until
    then,a bike with a small front wheel can be used in District
    TT's?I get different stories from everyone,and the technical
    director Mr Shaun Farrell has not returned my call on this.

    I am of the opinion that right now funny bikes are
    temporarily OK...but sometimes(!) rules are not
    uniformly enforced.

    Any educated opinions on this are appreciated...and note I
    am not talking about UCI sanctioned events,just local
    events.TIA.

    Tags:

  2. carlfogel

    carlfogel New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2003
    Dear Rob,

    If wasting a dozen years in English departments
    isn't well-educated, then I'll eat the diploma that
    I forgot to pick up!

    Mr. Farrell is probably hiding under his desk at
    this very moment and praying that I do not call to
    demand that he either allow me to enter my Fury
    Roadmaster in his events or else face a lawsuit
    that will reduce him to begging in the streets.

    Luckily for Mr. Farrell and his minor local organization,
    I have my eye on bigger game. The negotiations
    are secret, so let's just say that Lance may soon be
    riding for WalMart if the UCI bows to the will of the
    people and accepts the inevitable.

    Le Marché de Mur(ton)!

    Carl Fogel

  3. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Rob Benetton wrote:

    > The message from USA Cycling is "All bikes must conform to
    > UCI reg.s beginning 2007"...so does that mean,that until
    > then,a bike with a small front wheel can be used in
    > District TT's?...

    The use of large diameter bicycle wheels is an attempt to
    compensate for inadequate "natural endowment."

    Dr. Sigmund Fraud

  4. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219

    This thread disucssed that rule over at bentrideronline.

    http://pub152.ezboard.com/fbentrideronlinefrm12.showMessage?topicID=606.topic

    Synapsis appears to be that rule is effective in 2007 but a separate rule segregating recumbents from uprights into seperate classes is effective 2004.

    You might also look at Monkey Island since it probably has been discussed there also.

  5. BaCardi

    BaCardi New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2003

    Can anyone post a link to a page on when they state that this rule will be official. I couldn't find it on USA Cycling or anywhere.

  6. carlfogel

    carlfogel New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2003
    Dear Bacardi,

    Here's the link to the pdf file, which has the rule on
    page 32 of 181:

    http://www.usacycling.org/rulebooks/2004_uscf_rulebook.pdf

    It seems to be 1j1(e):

    "As of January 1st, 2007, all bicycles and equipment
    used in Federation races must comply with current UCI regulations."

    Presumably, races between Klingons and Romulans
    are exempt.

    Carl Fogel

  7. BaCardi

    BaCardi New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2003

    Thanks. That was buried in there somewhere, but I guess now the UCI will be dictating how things are done in the USCF.

  8. carlfogel

    carlfogel New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2003
    Dear Bacardi,

    We prefer to think of it as assimilation.

    Cordially,

    The Borg