USAC Rules re:Funny bikes in amateur TT events.......Legal or not?

Rob Benetton

Guest
The message from USA Cycling is "All bikes must conform to
UCI reg.s beginning 2007"...so does that mean,that until
then,a bike with a small front wheel can be used in District
TT's?I get different stories from everyone,and the technical
director Mr Shaun Farrell has not returned my call on this.

I am of the opinion that right now funny bikes are
temporarily OK...but sometimes(!) rules are not
uniformly enforced.

Any educated opinions on this are appreciated...and note I
am not talking about UCI sanctioned events,just local
events.TIA.

Originally posted by Rob Benetton
The message from USA Cycling is "All bikes must conform to
UCI reg.s beginning 2007"...so does that mean,that until
then,a bike with a small front wheel can be used in District
TT's?I get different stories from everyone,and the technical
director Mr Shaun Farrell has not returned my call on this.

I am of the opinion that right now funny bikes are
temporarily OK...but sometimes(!) rules are not
uniformly enforced.

Any educated opinions on this are appreciated...and note I
am not talking about UCI sanctioned events,just local
events.TIA.

Dear Rob,

If wasting a dozen years in English departments
isn't well-educated, then I'll eat the diploma that
I forgot to pick up!

Mr. Farrell is probably hiding under his desk at
this very moment and praying that I do not call to
demand that he either allow me to enter my Fury
Roadmaster in his events or else face a lawsuit
that will reduce him to begging in the streets.

Luckily for Mr. Farrell and his minor local organization,
I have my eye on bigger game. The negotiations
are secret, so let's just say that Lance may soon be
riding for WalMart if the UCI bows to the will of the
people and accepts the inevitable.

Le Marché de Mur(ton)!

Carl Fogel

Rob Benetton wrote:

> The message from USA Cycling is "All bikes must conform to
> UCI reg.s beginning 2007"...so does that mean,that until
> then,a bike with a small front wheel can be used in
> District TT's?...

The use of large diameter bicycle wheels is an attempt to
compensate for inadequate "natural endowment."

Dr. Sigmund Fraud

Originally posted by Rob Benetton
The message from USA Cycling is "All bikes must conform to
UCI reg.s beginning 2007"...so does that mean,that until
then,a bike with a small front wheel can be used in District
TT's?I get different stories from everyone,and the technical
director Mr Shaun Farrell has not returned my call on this.

I am of the opinion that right now funny bikes are
temporarily OK...but sometimes(!) rules are not
uniformly enforced.

Any educated opinions on this are appreciated...and note I
am not talking about UCI sanctioned events,just local
events.TIA.

This thread disucssed that rule over at bentrideronline.

http://pub152.ezboard.com/fbentrideronlinefrm12.showMessage?topicID=606.topic

Synapsis appears to be that rule is effective in 2007 but a separate rule segregating recumbents from uprights into seperate classes is effective 2004.

You might also look at Monkey Island since it probably has been discussed there also.

Originally posted by Rob Benetton
The message from USA Cycling is "All bikes must conform to
UCI reg.s beginning 2007"...so does that mean,that until
then,a bike with a small front wheel can be used in District
TT's?I get different stories from everyone,and the technical
director Mr Shaun Farrell has not returned my call on this.

I am of the opinion that right now funny bikes are
temporarily OK...but sometimes(!) rules are not
uniformly enforced.

Any educated opinions on this are appreciated...and note I
am not talking about UCI sanctioned events,just local
events.TIA.

Can anyone post a link to a page on when they state that this rule will be official. I couldn't find it on USA Cycling or anywhere.

Originally posted by BaCardi
Can anyone post a link to a page on when they state that this rule will be official. I couldn't find it on USA Cycling or anywhere.

Dear Bacardi,

Here's the link to the pdf file, which has the rule on
page 32 of 181:

http://www.usacycling.org/rulebooks/2004_uscf_rulebook.pdf

It seems to be 1j1(e):

"As of January 1st, 2007, all bicycles and equipment
used in Federation races must comply with current UCI regulations."

Presumably, races between Klingons and Romulans
are exempt.

Carl Fogel

Originally posted by carlfogel
Dear Bacardi,

Here's the link to the pdf file, which has the rule on
page 32 of 181:

http://www.usacycling.org/rulebooks/2004_uscf_rulebook.pdf

It seems to be 1j1(e):

"As of January 1st, 2007, all bicycles and equipment
used in Federation races must comply with current UCI regulations."

Presumably, races between Klingons and Romulans
are exempt.

Carl Fogel

Thanks. That was buried in there somewhere, but I guess now the UCI will be dictating how things are done in the USCF.

Originally posted by BaCardi
Thanks. That was buried in there somewhere, but I guess now the UCI will be dictating how things are done in the USCF.

Dear Bacardi,

We prefer to think of it as assimilation.

Cordially,

The Borg